Utah Guns Forum banner

Guns banned in Salt Lake County parks?

3K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Tarzan1888 
#1 ·
My wife, kids, and I went to Wheeler Farm yesterday. As we pulled up in the parking lot I noticed a few signs that said "Salt Lake County Park Regulations." One of the regulations was "No Firearms." I was pretty sure that Utah state firearm laws preempted any local authority and that it should be legal to carry there. I did some searching and found this:

http://www.le.state.ut.us/~code/TITLE76 ... _0C029.htm

This snippet from Utah Code seems to agree with my assertion. Do you think those signs are violating state law?

Eric

I snapped this photo with my cell phone camera:

See less See more
#3 ·
I don't think the sign itself violates state law, after all it was just made by some guy--with regard to the firearms regulations, the sign does not carry the force of law in Utah...i.e you are not obliged to follow the warning as you would be in some states, like Texas, where a properly made sign does carry force of law and disobeying the sign itself breaks the law.

/I am not a lawyer, do not play one on TV and did not stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.

#5 ·
Jeff Johnson said:
Right. That sign does not carry the force of law.

However, I think that it should be changed, since it is misleading.
Unless someone is very well-educated about Utah law, they might be fooled into leaving their means of self-defense in the car or at home, thus becoming vulnerable.
This is in the same situation as the signs at the Airport. The poweres to be know that the signs don't hold the force of law, but they don't care, and their excuse is that those of us with permits, know that it does't apply to us.

It is the liberal mindset.

Tarzan

#6 ·
Tarzan1888 said:
You are right. And this is exactly the type of methodology they have consistently used for years to win the battles because they know putting signs like this up doesn't change anything TODAY but that the frequent use of such signs DOES CHANGE the minds, unknowingly, of those not "in the know"... thus, over time, the collective perception and understanding of the general populace erodes until none of us understand or know the better... and it is THEN that they push forward new legislation.

#7 ·
bane said:
Tarzan1888 said:
You are right. And this is exactly the type of methodology they have consistently used for years to win the battles because they know putting signs like this up doesn't change anything TODAY but that the frequent use of such signs DOES CHANGE the minds, unknowingly, of those not "in the know"... thus, over time, the collective perception and understanding of the general populace erodes until none of us understand or know the better... and it is THEN that they push forward new legislation.
Yes and if you are carrying in that park it maybe that you will be reported and you pleasure will be interupted and you will think twice about carrying there next time, just to avoid the inconvience.

Tarzan

#8 ·
Tarzan1888 said:
Yes and if you are carrying in that park it maybe that you will be reported and you pleasure will be interupted and you will think twice about carrying tjhere next time, just to avoid the inconvience.
Yeah, that's very true too! In fact, that's a big reason my wife is saying she isn't sure she wants to get a CCP... the inconvenience/embarrassment that may be caused to her by others were they to discover she were carrying... pretty sad, but for many people it's true.

#9 ·
bane said:
Tarzan1888 said:
Yes and if you are carrying in that park it maybe that you will be reported and you pleasure will be interupted and you will think twice about carrying tjhere next time, just to avoid the inconvience.
Yeah, that's very true too! In fact, that's a big reason my wife is saying she isn't sure she wants to get a CCP... the inconvenience/embarrassment that may be caused to her by others were they to discover she were carrying... pretty sad, but for many people it's true.
My wife is slowley warming.

She will go shooting with me.

She is glad that I carry and can protect her.

She does keep a pistol by her side of the bed.

BUT

She still does not want a permit and she does not want her own gun.

She has come a long way in the last 35 years though.

Tarzan

#10 ·
Tarzan1888 said:
Which brings up a question... [which I have decided to move to a new thread in a different area b/c it seems like it's strayed quite a bit from the original subject of this thread... please read it here]

#11 ·
bane said:
Tarzan1888 said:
Which brings up a question... [which I have decided to move to a new thread in a different area b/c it seems like it's strayed quite a bit from the original subject of this thread... please read it here]
Well you got my answer in your poll. Having a lot of women in my family, I have a good Idea of the answer.

Tarzan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.