Utah Guns Forum banner

MODS: Request for the site

8K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  Jeff Johnson 
#1 ·
Maybe I'm just a moron (this happens a lot), but this is an issue I've had for a while. I pretty much surf this site by the "view new posts" link. I regularly find myself clicking the site logo and then clicking "view new posts" to keep perusing (especially when I've clicked 9 pages into a thread). So if this isn't already implemented (this would be the moron part), can we update the site to include a "view new posts" link at the top and bottom of each thread page? There's already a "view your posts" link right where I want a "view new posts" link.

Thanks!

#4 ·
When using the regular website, there is something that may be a little more helpful that has always been there. On the far right of the page there is a spot that says who the last person was to post on that thread. Whether you are looking at the "view new posts" link or are under a sub forum it doesn't matter, it is always there. Right next to the persons name, there is a little box with an arrow on it. Click that and it will go to the last post on the thread.
Obviously if it is a really active topic, you may have to go back a bit and find where you stopped last time. Hopefully that helps a little. I use that quite often when I use the main website.

#5 ·
No, we're talking about two different functions.

As you guys point out, I can easily jump to the last unread post and if there are only a couple of replies I can just hit back in my browser to get back to the unread posts section in one click. However, if I click on a thread and then click 9 pages in, I'm now at minimum 2 clicks away from the unread posts page and at maximum 9 clicks away. I would like it to always be 1 click away.

Furthermore, having a link at the bottom in addition to the top would save me from scrolling all the way to the top of a thread page to reach the site logo, which normally gives me access to the view new posts link.

#6 ·
He's referring to the unread posts since he logged in last link that shows up on the main page, not the link within a topic. The link that takes you to the new post topic list

#8 ·
Gotcha. I think you should move this up to the top to the Site Discussion forum so it's seen better.

I know what you're talking about, I think. Tapatalk app on my iPod does this same thing. It lists the threads that have activity in them and no others. There is a full forum view, but that list is great.

#9 ·
I just put the "view active topics" page as my bookmark on my bookmarks toolbar. That way when I get to the end of a post its just one click on my toolbar to get back to the active topics page. I don't even need to scroll for it.

#12 ·
hawkwing said:
This would actually be a pretty easy phpbb template change, I'm not sure if any of the mods here know anything about editing the templates on phpbb, but you can do it from the administrator control panel, you don't even need to physically edit the files.
Exactly. It's a simple matter of editing the style sheet

#13 ·
frsmithiv said:
I just put the "view active topics" page as my bookmark on my bookmarks toolbar. That way when I get to the end of a post its just one click on my toolbar to get back to the active topics page. I don't even need to scroll for it.
Great Tip!

#14 ·
I have a bookmark[*] to the "new posts" page, and then I middle-click (or Apple-click on my Macbook) to open each link in a separate tab. Then I can just read to the end of each thread and close the tab. When I run out of tabs, I'm back at the "new posts"

If you don't have tabs, you really, really need a better browser :)

[*] Actually it's not a bookmark, per se. I use Chrome and the default home page has the eight most-frequently visited web sites. The UCC "new posts" page always ends up in the top three or four. So my UCC-reading process is Apple-T to open a new tab, click on the image of the UCC page, Apple-click on the icons to the left of each thread title, then go through one tab at a time.

What I'd really like is a link attached to a bit of Javascript on the "new posts" page that opens ALL new posts in tabs, with one click. Hmm. I may have to see if I can create such a thing and make a bookmarklet.

#15 ·
I generally read just a few of the chapters of this novel: Concealed Carry, Open Carry, General firearms, the entire 'Our God Given Rights' section from the bottom up, Chit Chat, and the Real Life Stories (my fave, y'all need to post more often in there!) in that order.

I just return to the index, be it the section index and click the next new post, or the board index to the next chapter.
Granted, I don't have a fancy phone, so I do all this from my desktop. I would imagine scrolling on a phone would be an annoyance.

On 2nd thought, the less new threads in the Real Life Stories section, the better and safer we all are!

#16 ·
I generally read just a few of the chapters of this novel: Concealed Carry, Open Carry, General firearms, the entire 'Our God Given Rights' section from the bottom up, Chit Chat, and the Real Life Stories (my fave, y'all need to post more often in there!) in that order.
Ditto. I look in the other sections from time to time but don't see anything that really interests me or that I feel I can speak knowledgeably about.

#17 ·
I use Firefox. What I do is click on the View new posts link, then for each new post that I want to read, I either middle-mouse click --or-- I hold the control key down and left-mouse click on it. That opens the thread in a new tab. I can open all the threads I'm interested in this way without losing the first tab that is still on the original new posts list. I believe that this method works in Internet Explorer.

I'll have to file this request for now. I'm under a big crunch right now at work and am running ragged.

#19 ·
xRapidDavex said:
That works for full web browsers but what about cell phones?
Well now, that's a good point.

I can get on the forum on my Blackberry, but don't do it often. I usually wait until I have access to my laptop or desktop computer to do my forum browsing. Much easier on my eyes.

I'll have to give this some further consideration.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.