Utah Guns Forum banner

private message notifications are broken

10K views 27 replies 7 participants last post by  UtahJarhead 
#1 ·
I'm getting emails regarding new PMs and the PMs do exist if I go in there, but the notification that loads at the top of every page:

User Control Panel (0 new messages)
is showing 0 even if I have new, unread messages.

#10 ·
dewittdj said:
Well, at least the anti-Jarhead conspiracy has been eliminated. Now it may just be a beard thing. With all of the static buildup surrounding those things, it's a wonder how any sensitive electronics work at all!
No, Baby Face up there had the same thing happen.

#12 ·
My guess is that tapatalk is "checking" your PM box, and once it does that, the forum knows that you have seen your messages, so the browser would no longer show them (since the notification is for "new" messages, not all the messages in your box). For those that dont use Tapatalk (like me), the PM notifications work just fine. I just got one earlier.

#13 ·
Even when you get a notification from Tapatalk, it should still show up on the browser. The only time that message shouldn't show that you have a new message is if you have viewed it through Tapatalk or the browser. I had a message that I didn't view through either that didn't show up on the browser like UJ was saying.

(Sent from iSnurd)

#17 ·
Snurd said:
Scruffy McBeardface has some pretty gnarly beard strengths. Some say it bench presses UtahJarhead in the middle of the night without him knowing. And that it can store a two year food supply for a family of four.
:lol2:
(Sent from iSnurd)
:spit: Two year food supply??? I wondered what that smell was... that's an awful lot of crumbs to have accumulated in such a limited amount of space. :shock:

#18 ·
gravedancer said:
My guess is that tapatalk is "checking" your PM box, and once it does that, the forum knows that you have seen your messages, so the browser would no longer show them (since the notification is for "new" messages, not all the messages in your box). For those that dont use Tapatalk (like me), the PM notifications work just fine. I just got one earlier.
I suspect that this is the correct explanation. The Tapatalk service on your mobile device does check your inbox.

#25 ·
Gravedancer nailed it as to the cause. I see the same behavior on other forums that use the same forum software. Waze.com, for example. If you are on the website at the time of the PM or shortly thereafter you'll see the PM notice at the top of the page, but once tapatalk notifies you of the PM it's cleared off.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.