2017 HB198 Carry Permit for 18 to 21

We will try to post current legislative bills that relate to Gun Control issues in this Forum. This includes bills in the Utah Legislature and U.S. Congress.

Re: 2017 HB198 Carry Permit for 18 to 21

Postby bagpiper » Mon 30 Jan 2017 1:30 pm

JoeSparky wrote:Question for Bagpiper and bill writers / sponsors. Could a conversion to normal permit be added by setting up an application and fee to be paid 3 months prior to turning 21 so a more seamless process for those with provisional to regular permits plans?
They already have the training and background checks done for the provisional permit. And then the current "renewal fee" on the proposed bill would make sense.

I need to visit with the sponsor about intent and desired effect about transitioning from the provisional to the regular permit. Ideally we avoid a lapse.

Charles
bagpiper
Sniper

Postby DaKnife » Fri 03 Feb 2017 9:45 am

It's hit KSL, if you ever comment there go correct some miss-information.
http://www.ksl.com/?sid=43063404&nid=148&title=bill-would-lower-age-for-concealed-carry-permits-to-18
SPOOOOOOON!!!

WARNING: This comment may contain chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm, in every other state it may increase intelligence and knowledge.
DaKnife
Sniper

Postby bagpiper » Wed 22 Feb 2017 12:43 pm

This bill has cleared the House on a 63-12-0 vote and is now in the Senate.

In committee, Wheatley, M. was the only opposing vote.

In the full House the following Representatives voted against the bill:

Arent, P.
Briscoe, J.
Chavez-Houck, R.
Hemingway, L.
Hollins, S.
King, Brian S.
Kwan, K.
Moss, C.
Poulson, M.
Romero, A.
Weight, E.
Wheatley, M.

Charles
bagpiper
Sniper

Postby Infrared Sight » Wed 22 Feb 2017 8:44 pm

I looked around the nation for reciprocity and there have been instances where states lost reciprocity because they had also lowered the age from 21 to 18. Washington just dropped Tennessee for that reason even though majority of 18 year olds still can't carry in TN. Seven other states also won't recognize those 18-20 year olds either but still anyone 21 or over would be good to go. I would bet anything that the same thing would happen to our permit as well. For states that don't honor our permit I just don't go there plain and simple, but it's definitely good to have many options. It is nice to have reciprocity with other states no doubt and I am all for lowering the age to 18 as I believe it is the right thing to do, I just also want some thoughts on that.
Infrared Sight
Novice

Postby gravedancer » Wed 22 Feb 2017 9:19 pm

Infrared Sight wrote:I looked around the nation for reciprocity and there have been instances where states lost reciprocity because they had also lowered the age from 21 to 18. Washington just dropped Tennessee for that reason even though majority of 18 year olds still can't carry in TN. Seven other states also won't recognize those 18-20 year olds either but still anyone 21 or over would be good to go. I would bet anything that the same thing would happen to our permit as well. For states that don't honor our permit I just don't go there plain and simple, but it's definitely good to have many options. It is nice to have reciprocity with other states no doubt and I am all for lowering the age to 18 as I believe it is the right thing to do, I just also want some thoughts on that.

That's specifically why this bill isn't altering our existing permit to lower the age. Instead, its creating a special, "provisional" permit for those in that age bracket. It would be a separate permit from the regular Utah one, so states could choose to honor it (or not) without any impact on those with the "normal" permit.
"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without an accordion. All you leave behind is a lot of noisy baggage."
gravedancer
Sniper

Postby Infrared Sight » Thu 23 Feb 2017 5:52 am

gravedancer wrote: That's specifically why this bill isn't altering our existing permit to lower the age. Instead, its creating a special, "provisional" permit for those in that age bracket. It would be a separate permit from the regular Utah one, so states could choose to honor it (or not) without any impact on those with the "normal" permit.

Don't really know how I missed that while reading it. Guess I was really tired or something. That is really cool that they are going to leave our current permit alone for 21 and older. I really hope this passes as a couple of my coworkers would probably get one as they are below 21. Thanks for the clarification. :D :D
Infrared Sight
Novice

Previous

Return to Utah & Federal Bills For or Against Gun Control