Travelling for the first time in a while...

This is where you can find the answers to where you can and can't carry. You can also find links to the Official Utah BCI concealed permit site. Opinions expressed here regarding existing laws represent the individual views of those who post and are not meant to be legal advice.

Travelling for the first time in a while...

Postby UnderratedF00l » Mon 18 Apr 2011 11:32 am

Hi All,

I finally have some vacation time coming up -- it's been over 3 years since I've done any traveling other than for business (which included flying; we're driving this time), so I have a couple questions.

First, we're traveling to St. George this weekend. It's just a quick down and back trip on Saturday. Am I OK to keep a loaded firearm in the glovebox during the trip? I know car carry is legal (and I have a CFP), but I'm more interested in the Federal statutes here.

Second, we're headed to Vegas in two weeks, and I have the same questions - can I drive all the way to Vegas with a loaded firearm in the glovebox? I know I can't conceal in Vegas, but I know that car carry is legal. I suppose I could open carry, but I plan to be inebriated the majority of the time anyway :mrgreen: ...so I don't want to carry as it is. I know I can keep a firearm in the hotel rooms there (which I plan to do), but I haven't driven to Vegas in a long time.

A quick search of the forum didn't really turn up much (unless I have contracted a case of the Mondays, which is a strong possibility). Any input is appreciated. Thanks much!
I looked up "Ninjas" at Thesaurus.com.

Thesaurus.com: "Ninjas can not be found."

Well played, Ninjas. Well played.
UnderratedF00l
Sniper

Re: Travelling for the first time in a while...

Postby UtahJarhead » Mon 18 Apr 2011 1:44 pm

I'm only answering about St. George.

St. George is still in Utah, so if you will not be crossing state lines carry all you want. In your car, carry any WAY you want. That does not matter if it's open, concealed, loaded, or unloaded. If you have a CFP, then I wouldn't even worry about where you carried as long as you never enter a jail, mental institution, or other secure area.
DO NOT talk to cops! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc
Utah Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer, NRA Certified Pistol/Rifle Instructor
Red Cross CPR Adult/Infant w/ AED
Webelos Scout Leader
Art Scheel
UtahJarhead
Top Shot

Postby UnderratedF00l » Mon 18 Apr 2011 2:09 pm

I know I can carry in my car as I'd like (and I'll be packing everywhere we go in St. George, too), but my worry is on the highways headed down there. As I understand it, transporting a firearm on Federal Highways -- even within the state - is governed by Federal law. I just want to make sure I know/follow the rules.

Am I wrong on that? I'm posting from my phone right now; unable to look much up.

UnderratedF00l
Sniper

Postby Car Knocker » Mon 18 Apr 2011 2:47 pm

I am not aware of any federal laws dealing with the intrastate transport of firearms on "Federal Highways". FOPA '86 has language that deals with the interstate transport of firearms through firearm-hostile states.
Don

-->insert witty and/or inspirational message here<--
Car Knocker
Posse

Postby UtahJarhead » Mon 18 Apr 2011 8:37 pm

Car Knocker wrote:I am not aware of any federal laws dealing with the intrastate transport of firearms on "Federal Highways". FOPA '86 has language that deals with the interstate transport of firearms through firearm-hostile states.

Expounding on what Car Knocker said, FOPA eases restrictions in the Communist states like New Jersey and Massachusetts. If you live in the USA however, you are good to go already. FOPA doesn't make any restrictions, it just forces the commie states to give you leeway with THEIR laws by granting this intentional loophole. Treat the Utah interstate system exactly as you would any normal street.
DO NOT talk to cops! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc
Utah Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer, NRA Certified Pistol/Rifle Instructor
Red Cross CPR Adult/Infant w/ AED
Webelos Scout Leader
Art Scheel
UtahJarhead
Top Shot

Postby UnderratedF00l » Tue 19 Apr 2011 7:23 am

Thanks, gentlemen.

UnderratedF00l
Sniper

Postby DaKnife » Tue 19 Apr 2011 1:56 pm

Also consider your original cause of concern. I-15 may be a federally funded road but it's under state control, and there is no method for the feds to take control of it. At most we'd lose federal funding but they don't have the capability to replace our controlling agencies and they certainly can't roll the road up and take it away. It's maintained by the UDOT not the FDOT. It is patrolled by the UHP and local LE agencies along the route, I've never seen a FHP car patrolling the highway.

Cross a border and the feds gain some jurisdiction, but not until then and as other have noted, the only laws really relating to this issue are ones protecting you from commie states, not the other way around.
SPOOOOOOON!!!

WARNING: This comment may contain chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm, in every other state it may increase intelligence and knowledge.
DaKnife
Sniper

Return to Concealed Carry Laws