Utah Guns Forum banner

What is considered "State Issued" ID?

13K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  ObiRich 
#1 ·
I've never run into this one before. A student turned in a photocopy their BYU student ID to fulfill their "PHOTOCOPY OF YOUR DRIVER LICENSE OR STATE ISSUED IDENTIFICATION CARD" requirement. I'm very doubtful that it is considered ID in the same regards as a State issued ID card or a State issued driver's license.

Any thoughts?

#5 ·
Car Knocker said:
I have my doubts that BYU is a state agency empowered to issue ID cards. :lol:
My thoughts as well. No DOB, address, or signature are on the card. In fact, other than the photo and printed name, there isn't any other PII other than a student number.

#6 ·
dewittdj said:
Car Knocker said:
I have my doubts that BYU is a state agency empowered to issue ID cards. :lol:
My thoughts as well. No DOB, address, or signature are on the card. In fact, other than the photo and printed name, there isn't any other PII other than a student number.
I agree but it is Utah, and it is BYU after all.:D

Mel

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 4

#7 ·
abrian8 said:
I can tell you the Wal-Mart Pharmacy will not accept a CFP as ID however I have used my CFP for ID with the TSA in more than just the SLC airport and a couple of banks to cash checks.
And Smith's Food and Drug will. At least on pleasant grove they will accept a Utah CFP

Last time I tried to use my CFP to fly the TSA security theater folks refused it.

#8 ·
The distinction between a valid state-issued ID and the rest is verification of details. For a state issued ID, you've presented things like a SSN cards, bills, and birth certificates. You and I both know that doesn't mean crap, but to them it most definitely does. We know why the CFP doesn't count. While organizations like BYU may require the same, or possibly even MORE, before they'll issue you an ID, the state has no way to corroborate that so the process has to begin anew.

#9 ·
UtahJarhead said:
The distinction between a valid state-issued ID and the rest is verification of details. For a state issued ID, you've presented things like a SSN cards, bills, and birth certificates. You and I both know that doesn't mean crap, but to them it most definitely does. We know why the CFP doesn't count. While organizations like BYU may require the same, or possibly even MORE, before they'll issue you an ID, the state has no way to corroborate that so the process has to begin anew.
I was absolutely kidding about BYU and Utah. There is no way that the BCI will accept that for identification. And if by chance they do, then they need to work to get the CCW accepted as state ID. That's rather irritating that they don't, but I do understand the reasoning behind it. And why some places, like grocery stores might accept it, but pharmacy's won't. Or should not, at least.

Mel

#10 ·
quychang said:
UtahJarhead said:
I was absolutely kidding about BYU and Utah. There is no way that the BCI will accept that for identification. And if by chance they do, then they need to work to get the CCW accepted as state ID. That's rather irritating that they don't, but I do understand the reasoning behind it. And why some places, like grocery stores might accept it, but pharmacy's won't. Or should not, at least.

Mel
I know you were. :) I've just noticed lots of fresh faces lately, so I figured 'why not?'

#11 ·
abrian8 said:
I can tell you the Wal-Mart Pharmacy will not accept a CFP as ID however I have used my CFP for ID with the TSA in more than just the SLC airport and a couple of banks to cash checks.
I've used my Permit a few times to cash checks. While a couple of clerks were eager to start talking guns, they were the exception. The initial funny look seems to be universal.

#13 ·
My wife and I were down in Vegas last week to, among other things, spend some time with our daughter and her family, who currently live on base at Nellis. As we have done several times before, we went down to get a 72-hour pass to be able to come and go without our daughter or her husband having to come "sponsor" us through the gate each time. Utah is one of a small handful of states for which two forms of state or gov't. issued ID are required for such a pass (their website does make this known at all... it was posted on the door of the visitors center). Previously, we had always been able to use our CWP as one of our forms of ID (with drivers license). This time was different.
The claim is that they require a form of photo ID, plus one that proves US citizenship. A Utah DL does not meet that. NEITHER DO THE VAST MAJORITY OF OTHER STATE DRIVER'S LICENSES! Obviously a CWP does not qualify in this case either, and does not typically qualify as a state issued ID.
Anyway, I post this as information (with just a hint of a rant :evil: ) Anyway, if you want to get a pass at Nellis, and you are from Utah, take your passport or birth certificate with you for a second ID.
P.S. After a lot of talking, they finally let us slide this time, and gave us our passes, but I will be better prepared in the future.

#14 ·
QBall said:
Anyway, if you want to get a pass at Nellis, and you are from Utah, take your passport or birth certificate with you for a second ID.
I've used my Utah carry permit for a second form of ID at several locations where "two forms of government ID" are required. But neither the Utah permit nor most driver licenses (including Utah) are valid as proof of US citizenship.

This either makes perfect sense, or is a real pain depending on your perspective.

For all the paperwork they require to get a Utah DL you'd think they could include a check box to indicate whether the bearer is a US citizen so it could be used for those purposes for things like employment or entry to location restricted to US citizens. On the other hand, a driver license is supposed to certify competency to drive; perhaps act as a kind of "bail bond" card for routine/minor traffic offenses so that there is generally no practical need to effect a custodial arrest to verify who the offender is. You present your driver license, the State knows who to go looking for and a good idea of where to start if you don't show up for your court date (or pay the fine). Its use as a general ID is secondary. But it has become standard. So I'm back to thinking that it would be nice if the State would go ahead and certify US citizenship (when appropriate) on the license. Good luck getting a Utah license without a birth certificate or passport....unless you are an illegal alien, it seems. :dunno:

In any event, as much as we are supposed to be able to travel throughout the nation without needing internal passports or other "papers', I often have need to verify my citizenship when traveling for work and so almost always make a point of having my passport with me when traveling out of town.

Charles

#15 ·
bagpiper said:
Good luck getting a Utah license without a birth certificate or passport....unless you are an illegal alien, it seems.
Illegals may qualify for a "Driving Privilege" card which is clearly different than a Utah Driver License and states that it is not valid as ID for Utah government entities:

Whether a business or person chooses to accept the privilege card as ID is their choice, if there are no governmental regulations involved.

#16 ·
QBall said:
My wife and I were down in Vegas last week to, among other things, spend some time with our daughter and her family, who currently live on base at Nellis. As we have done several times before, we went down to get a 72-hour pass to be able to come and go without our daughter or her husband having to come "sponsor" us through the gate each time. Utah is one of a small handful of states for which two forms of state or gov't. issued ID are required for such a pass (their website does make this known at all... it was posted on the door of the visitors center). Previously, we had always been able to use our CWP as one of our forms of ID (with drivers license). This time was different.
The claim is that they require a form of photo ID, plus one that proves US citizenship. A Utah DL does not meet that. NEITHER DO THE VAST MAJORITY OF OTHER STATE DRIVER'S LICENSES! Obviously a CWP does not qualify in this case either, and does not typically qualify as a state issued ID.
Anyway, I post this as information (with just a hint of a rant :evil: ) Anyway, if you want to get a pass at Nellis, and you are from Utah, take your passport or birth certificate with you for a second ID.
P.S. After a lot of talking, they finally let us slide this time, and gave us our passes, but I will be better prepared in the future.
Or just whip out your retired military ID or drive through with your car that has the military base stickers on it... Ooooh! Wait! You don't have either?!?!?!? Then I guess it's wait at the gate for the dependent sponsor to come and fetch you.
:wink:

#18 ·
glock fan said:
dewittdj said:
I've never run into this one before. A student turned in a photocopy their BYU student ID to fulfill their "PHOTOCOPY OF YOUR DRIVER LICENSE OR STATE ISSUED IDENTIFICATION CARD" requirement. I'm very doubtful that it is considered ID in the same regards as a State issued ID card or a State issued driver's license.

Any thoughts?
I predict that their CFP application will either be "delayed" or "denied".
I didn't send it in but requested that the student send me another form of ID. The student complied and sent a photocopy of a current passport which I attached to the application and turned in a day later. All is well, and BCI confirmed that the BYU student ID wouldn't be accepted as a valid form of ID for CFP application purposes.

#19 ·
This is only peripherally related, but I'm not going to start a new thread since I think it is close enough to fit here.

I recently had to go renew my Utah license for the first time since the new ID requirements went into effect. After hearing horror stories for the last few years about how bad this could be, I was braced for the worst. Turns out it was a complete non-issue. The renewal notice they sent me indicated what documents I needed to bring and since boolean logic (this and this, or this and that) doesn't flummox me, I grabbed the documents I needed from the safe and headed in. I checked to see if they can actually require me to show them my SSN/SS Card and turns out federal law actually requires them to verify the SSN (except in cases of illegal aliens or others who can't get an SSN).

I hit the DMV on one of their less busy days and times. I had my valid US Passport (more durable than my birth certificate), my social security card, and a recent utility bill and a recent bank statement both showing my current home address and my name. I also had my Utah CFP and another, federally issued photo ID card in my wallet just in case.

It literally took me longer to fill out the application for renewal than to do everything else. They snap a new photo while giving you a number. I sat for less than 2 minutes before my number was called and I went to the window to complete the process.

Because the driver license division already had my current home address on file, they didn't even bother looking at my utility bill or bank statement to verify address.

They looked at my passport and social security card, plus my current license. I took the 10 second eye test to verify visual acuity and peripheral vision, swiped the credit card and was on my way with the temporary license in hand. They returned the current driver license with a couple of holes punched in it which I guess makes it technically not valid even though its printed expiration date isn't for another few weeks.

Anyway, not a problem nor a hassle, though I can see how it could be for those who don't have a passport, birth certificate, and/or SSN card on hand. Given how long it can take to get those, and the difficultly of getting them if you don't already have a valid State issued ID, a person could find themselves in a bit of a catch-22 if they were to wait until their license expired to try to get those documents.

If you don't have a certified copy of your birth certificate and a valid SSN card in your possession, I'd suggest getting those and putting them in the document safe inside your big safe (or at the bank safety deposit box for the old school types) well before you need them. Passports are valid for 10 years for adults and probably worth the cost if there is any chance at all of traveling outside the nation in the next decade as they (or the passport card) are now required even for travel to Canada and Mexico. Certainly, don't wait until your license is expired or expiring to apply for copies of your birth certificate or SSN card.

Charles

#20 ·
Just brought the Passport and my retired military ID in the summer of 2010 to correct the wrong city on the DL (they listed St. George but had everything else, including the zip code correct) and then renewed online this fall. EZ - PZ... Took all of 10 minutes the first time and less than 5 minutes to do the online renewal.

#21 ·
bagpiper said:
If you don't have a certified copy of your birth certificate and a valid SSN card in your possession, I'd suggest getting those and putting them in the document safe inside your big safe (or at the bank safety deposit box for the old school types) well before you need them.

Charles
They will also accept originals of W-2s and 1099s for the SSN verification.

#22 ·
A CFP is not valid as state issued ID, even when you also have your birth certificate. My wife and I booked a cruise for March, she just renewed her drivers license. They won't accept the paper temporary or her CFP to board the ship. Hope it's here by mid March or she gets to hear all about MY cruise when I get back 7 days later :D

#23 ·
So at our January 10th class we had a couple who attended who's drivers licences did not have the correct address. They sent their applications in about two weeks ago with copies of their passports which list their correct address and is what they were told at class to send. BCI rejected their applications. The BCI employee told them that it did not matter if the address was wrong on their DL's, they should just send copies of them in. They said that the copies of the passport with the correct address are not acceptable identification. Just thought ya'll might want to know.

#24 ·
justBeth said:
So at our January 10th class we had a couple who attended who's drivers licences did not have the correct address. They sent their applications in about two weeks ago with copies of their passports which list their correct address and is what they were told at class to send. BCI rejected their applications. The BCI employee told them that it did not matter if the address was wrong on their DL's, they should just send copies of them in. They said that the copies of the passport with the correct address are not acceptable identification. Just thought ya'll might want to know.
Technically, a passport isn't a "state issued ID" since it's issued by the federal government.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.