Utah Guns Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

West Side Pawn

21K views 64 replies 28 participants last post by  Jeff Johnson 
#1 ·
I entered the pawn shop located in West Valley City Utah to look at their inventory.
As I was shopping one of the men behind the counter noticed my firearm.

He told me it was company policy for customers to have a concealed or open carried firearm in their store.
I complied with their store policy and left the store.

I called the Manager/Owner who stated that firearm carried by customers are not allowed in the store.
The manager was very abrupt when talking about firearms.

Seems like they don't trust the customer therfore does not deserve my money.
As it stands I will not be a customer until the policy changes. I will shop at other pawnshops who support the RTKBA.

West Side Pawn Shop Both Locations

West Valley City
1635 West 3500 South
(801) 972-2401

Salt Lake City
2611 South State Street
(801) 484-1331

See less See more
#2 ·
gunsfreak4791 said:
He told me it was company policy for customers to have a concealed or open carried firearm in their store.
I complied with their store policy and left the store.
I'm guessing you meant to say that it was company policy to not allow firearms, cc'd or oc'd, right? Otherwise this would have been a much better store. :D

#3 ·
That's especially silly for a place that sells guns to have such an anti-gun policy.
What, do they think that you'll suddenly draw and go crazy?

Someone intent on robbing the place isn't going to OC, and isn't going to stand and argue about store policy.
They'll just rob the place. Their policy doesn't make them any safer. It just loses customers.

There are lots of pawn shops around. I'm sure that some of them want your business.

#4 ·
That does kind of cross the line as far as stupid policies go. :raisedbrow: I will also drop a note to them stating they won't receive my business until the policy changes. Maybe they will start to think about it if it's not an isolated case.

APPENDED: 8/22/09 1:15pm

To: Inquiries@westsidepawnonline.com
Subject: Alienating Your Customers

To West Side Pawn Management;

As a reasonably frequent customer to your West Valley location I was extremely disappointed to learn that your policy is to turn away customers who legally carry firearms onto the premises.

It may interest you to know that every time I have been in your store purchasing items I was legally carrying a concealed firearm. Now that I am aware of your policy I will respect it in the future. I will continue to legally carry my firearm, I regrettably will not however be frequenting your business while your policy is in place.

I am dismayed at taking this action as I have found your establishment to offer many items of interest to me and I have always found your prices to be reasonable. If your policy does change you can be assured that I will return as a customer. Until then, I urge you to reconsider your current policy and keep in mind that any person who would enter your business to threaten you with a firearm is unlikely to consider or respect any policy you may have in place.

Sincerely;

etc...etc...

#5 ·
So just a update to this situation:

The pawn shop felt that by me posting about them and calling to inform them I would not be giving them my business both store's a total of four calls. They notified my employer that I was harassing them they found out were worked based on my email. I was called into my LT's office to explain my side of the story.

They took it a step further and called South Salt Lake City Police department to notify them that I was harassing them. Their were no laws broken and no charges filled. The police were used by the pawn shop to intimidate me into stop telling people of my experience.

The pawn shop is upset that their policy came back to bite them. The tactics used by this pawn shop were just dirty politics. Just think if you were a customer and had a problem.

The police department stated by posting about them I was endangering their business and subject to criminal charges. I felt the officer was trying to use her powers to threaten and co hearse me to stop.

Thanks

Zachary

#6 ·
I hope there were no ramifications at your work, and I really hope you told that officer what you thought of her advice. Your right to free speech is constitutionally protected and telling everyone a fact about a business that they may not want spread around is completely within your rights.

If what you say is the truth and it damages their business then I'd say if they are worried about it they might rethink their business strategy. Spreading the truth is not harassment in any court in the land.

I don't know what was said on those calls but maybe they should consider themselves lucky that you are not standing in front of their store with a picket sign (also completely legal)

I have received no response or acknowledgement to my email. I guess they have no interest in me. Maybe if I put an add in the Tribune classifieds explaining their policy and sent it to them it will get their attention. If they chose to travel that road with me it's going to get bumpy.
:bicker:

#7 ·
gunsfreak4791 said:
So just a update to this situation:

The police department stated by posting about them I was endangering their business and subject to criminal charges.
Thanks

Zachary
That is complete crapola.....If you are stating facts, that is not harrasment...No Way, No How! ...complaining/informing others of truthful (store policy) is not against the law.

ever visit Consumer Reports or...http://www.wehirealiens.com/browse/index.asp
the Police dept.is full of hot air!

If I am correct here...All you did is state a Fact "They don't allow guns" something that by law they are to "post in plain view" at all entrances to their store...If anything they are in violation of the law.

for them to "covertly" obtain your place of employment and complain to your employer...that may be actionable as harassment on their part. It certainally would be if you were fired or demoted.
Thanks for posting this.

#8 ·
RustyShackleford said:
If I am correct here...All you did is state a Fact "They don't allow guns" something that by law they are to "post in plain view" at all entrances to their store...If anything they are in violation of the law.
There is no law in Utah that dictates the manner of "No Firearms" posting at private businesses in Utah nor is it illegal to ignore any such postings at businesses. A business may ask you to leave their premises with your firearm if they so desire but no law has been violated.

#9 ·
gunsfreak4791 said:
The police department stated by posting about them I was endangering their business and subject to criminal charges. I felt the officer was trying to use her powers to threaten and co hearse me to stop.
I'd consider filing charges against THEM for harassment. They contacted your employer? They called the police when you had done nothing but exercise your freedom of speech? The only law you could have broken is the law against libel, but that's only if you're publishing *false* and defamatory statements.

If anyone might have considered ignoring their policy against firearms, NO ONE should ignore the way they've harassed a former customer.

#11 ·
Hmmmm....Perhaps an en masse mobilization of a dozen or more members entering their stores at the same time something might just get done about this, especially if the press are contacted concerning the "event" and why it is newsworthy---it would be about guns, wouldn't it? And isn't that what the press likes to cover? Anyhow, just a thought. :idea:

#12 ·
Car Knocker said:
RustyShackleford said:
There is no law in Utah that dictates the manner of "No Firearms" posting at private businesses in Utah nor is it illegal to ignore any such postings at businesses. A business may ask you to leave their premises with your firearm if they so desire but no law has been violated.
Thanks for correcting me on posting on private property.

Could it be that if they chose to post a sign...it might hurt there business?

On a completly unrelated note.....PETCO and PetSmart incourage their customers to bring in their pets..Good for business!.
this Pawn shop could learn somthing from this.

#14 ·
So just a update for this pawn shop. I still have not received a response back from this pawn shop. So as far as I am concerned the West Side Pawnshop will remain on the boycott list. The owner's of this pawn shop have shown a distrust to gun owners who openly or Conceal their firearms in their stores.

The best thing I can do as a citizen is not shop here and tell others of my decision not to support a anti- 2nd Amendment establishment. Any pawn shop owner who calls the police because I voiced my opinion and contacts my employer to retaliate does not deserve money from the gun community.

Spread the word tell your friends and family. As many of us try to move forward with our rights as citizens to feel safe where we shop. I for one refuse to step into a place that gives criminals more rights then law abiding citizens.

Call or Email this store voice your honest opinion and let them know how you feel. Please be kind and courteousness. The only way we can effect change is through the pocketbook or through the voices of the community. A pawnshop that relies on firearms being pawned should allow them to be carried openly or Concealed.

Thanks again for your support and hope to see change.

Zachary

#16 ·
Email received from Dejon Shelly "Just an FY, you may not want to send these out. The owner of the original message / posting that as sent out is now in legal trouble and is on the verg of having it concealed taken away..." :lol3:

My email to them..."Dear Sir or Madam,
I legally carry a concealed firearm everyday and was disappointed to read of your policy not allowing lawfully carried firearms in your store. I am saddened by the lack of Second Amendment support that I would expect from a business that sells firearms.
Your name and address has been posted to a gun friendly website in Utah telling members of your policy. As a member and a strong 2A supporter I will not visit your store and will tell all of my friends and acquaintances of that fact.
I hope that you would reconsider your policy and respect our right of self protection anywhere and everywhere we go.
Sincerely,
XXXXXX"

These are the emails EXACTLY as sent (minus my name here) and received. Polite, professional? Did I say something I should not have said?

Anyone want to help me with a response?

#17 ·
I think it is safe to say I am not in any legal trouble for voicing my concern over a policy I found unfair.

I still have a valid CFP and has not been revoked for any reason. The owner contacted South Salt Lake to report harassment on my end. I was never charged or will be charged for any alleged crime. I think it was a low shot to contact my employer based on how they felt about me posting about my experience.

I would like to further say I hold no grudges against the pawn shop owner. I feel if they wanted to discuss this civily I would be open to talk with them. I am tried of people trying to hide behind the long arm of the law when their policys are exposed.

I thank everyone for their continued support to this noble cause. I hope future interactions will be positive and the owners a little more willing to work out problems.

Thanks

#18 ·
This is not an issue of someone 'hiding behind the long arm of the law." Hopefully, we all do that. This is an instance where you used your constitutionally protected right to express your opinion of their policy to a number of friends and associates and they began a harassment campaign by trying to get the police and your employer involved.

#19 ·
abrian8 said:
Email received from Dejon Shelly "Just an FY, you may not want to send these out. The owner of the original message / posting that as sent out is now in legal trouble and is on the verg of having it concealed taken away..." :lol3:

My email to them..."Dear Sir or Madam,
I legally carry a concealed firearm everyday and was disappointed to read of your policy not allowing lawfully carried firearms in your store. I am saddened by the lack of Second Amendment support that I would expect from a business that sells firearms.
Your name and address has been posted to a gun friendly website in Utah telling members of your policy. As a member and a strong 2A supporter I will not visit your store and will tell all of my friends and acquaintances of that fact.
I hope that you would reconsider your policy and respect our right of self protection anywhere and everywhere we go.
Sincerely,
XXXXXX"

These are the emails EXACTLY as sent (minus my name here) and received. Polite, professional? Did I say something I should not have said?

Anyone want to help me with a response?
How about something like this….

Dear Sir/Madam

I am sorry but you have been misinformed. The original poster is not in any legal trouble or in any danger of loosing his permit. You simply don't understand how the law works. In fact; West Side Pawn's attempt to silence that person by complaining to authorities about someone using the right to free speech was considered by many to be mean spirited and reflected very negatively on the company.

The simple fact is that people who carry guns legally in public are not welcome at West Side Pawn. Making that fact publicly known is any American's right under the first amendment of the Constitution. People have a right to know how any business feels about its customers. If you feel it reflects negatively on the company you have the same right to state your own position on the matter. If your position is hurting your business perhaps you should reconsider your position.

Regardless of your position on gun carriers as customers you should understand that intimidation tactics are useless against an informed public and will not reflect well on your organization.

Thank you for your time…

:lol2: Etc etc

#20 ·
Nice. But I already sent this.."Dear Dejon,

Your idle threats of legal action are just that, idle threats.

All that was posted was YOUR policy restricting firearms in your stores. Was he misinformed? Do you or do you not allow the lawful carry of firearms in your store?

You are entitled to your policies and so are the people that legally carry firearms. Most people that legally carry firearms WILL NOT spend their money in ANY store that restricts them from carrying that firearm. Furthermore you may find people that do not carry but are 2A supporters will not visit your store. I know that my friends and family WILL NOT.

You are not the only business that has that kind of policy nor the only one that 2A supporters have brought attention to. Nothing derogatory has been said about you or any other business that doesn't support our right to carry. We just inform each other of businesses like yours that will not allow us to protect ourselves.

Just an FYI to you...ALL CFP holders pass an extensive criminal background check. We are also checked several times a week to insure that we continue to be law abiding citizens. We have also had extensive classroom training by a state certified instructor. How much do you know about your other customers?"

For the most part I have made our point clear and doubt that I will spend much more time "edumakatin" someone that cannot be.

I will share any further response from them.

#22 ·
Got a reply...

"I will turn this over to the detective working on this case. I am willing to give you the detectives name if you need."

Sounds like to me the threats are going to keep coming.

I will let you know if I hear from any "detective".

#23 ·
abrian8 said:
Got a reply...

"I will turn this over to the detective working on this case. I am willing to give you the detectives name if you need."

Sounds like to me the threats are going to keep coming.

I will let you know if I hear from any "detective".
Sounds like this guy needs a check-up from the neck-up. How could he not understand that e-mail?

#24 ·
All, I can say is "wow". Maybe you should ask for the detective's name and case number and see if there is any validity to an investigation. If there was, I do not see any justification based on the information posted here.

Honestly, if I was the OP, I would be talking to the South Salt Lake Police Department about filing a harassment complaint against West Side Pawn and maybe a complaint against their detective involved or at least looking into have a lawyer sending a cease and desist letter considering they contacted his employer over the issue which in my mind was completely unethical and unprofessional of a business owner.

Speaking of lawyer's maybe we should see if AG Shurtleff will send over a letter on his opinion of their policy and see if they harass him? Oh and to add, I will never ever, ever visit any location of West Side Pawn mostly based on their actions in this situation and secondly for their policy. Thanks for bringing this to our attention!

#25 ·
Blackout said:
All, I can say is "wow". Maybe you should ask for the detective's name and case number and see if there is any validity to an investigation.
:agree:

I would absolutely ask for this information. In fact, I think I may send an e-mail just to provoke a reply so I can ask.

#26 ·
divegeek said:
Blackout said:
All, I can say is "wow". Maybe you should ask for the detective's name and case number and see if there is any validity to an investigation.
:agree:

I would absolutely ask for this information. In fact, I think I may send an e-mail just to provoke a reply so I can ask.
Are you that guy who keeps poking sticks into the monkey cage at the zoo? :lol3:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.