New to Concealed Carry - First 10 days

Discuss issues regarding concealed carry.

Re: New to Concealed Carry - First 10 days

Postby James » Mon 02 Jan 2017 9:29 am

About church carry, while sitting in church the other day, I looked around and saw about 200 people there. It occurred to me that none of us were perfect. We each had our problems. So what if one of those problems was having a gun in the pocket at church? Is that any worse than breaking the speed limit going go town? Everybody does that and think nothing of it. As I see it: We will just have to do as our conscience will let us and later take the stripes.

PS, if you are going to pack to church, conceal deeply and keep your mouth shut about it!
Carry on!
James
Sharp Shooter

Postby metalgimp » Tue 03 Jan 2017 8:54 am

Karl wrote:...My father was Protestant and my mother was Roman Catholic. Her mother was Greek Orthodox. I think everyone is normally whatever their parents taught them to be.... Although I have been helped out by Him a few times quite to my surprise (1 helicopter crash, 1 explosion, 5 car accidents, and 5 surgeries),... I just don't want to make Their jobs any harder. Then They have more time available to help others who are helpless.

I do believe in "all the time."

You truly inspire me. Thank you.
metalgimp
Novice

Postby Karl » Wed 04 Jan 2017 3:40 am

James wrote:About church carry, while sitting in church the other day, I looked around and saw about 200 people there. It occurred to me that none of us were perfect. We each had our problems. So what if one of those problems was having a gun in the pocket at church? Is that any worse than breaking the speed limit going go town? Everybody does that and think nothing of it. As I see it: We will just have to do as our conscience will let us and later take the stripes.

PS, if you are going to pack to church, conceal deeply and keep your mouth shut about it!

Proper C/C etiquette is not to talk about it at all.

My nephew in law asked me at our Xmas party how I liked my new shoulder holster. I pulled up my sweatshirt and showed him. It fits perfectly. he could not tell I was in C/C mode. I think it actually surprised him.

A friend from my fraternity who also has a CFP but who does not carry asked me at a restaurant if I was carrying now. I took my pen out of my pocket and tapped my left armpit with it so he could hear the clank. He asked if it was loaded too and I replied loaded and chambered.

Other than this I have had no occasion to discuss the matter anywhere with anyone.

Shoulder holsters conceal even full sized really big pistols like my 45ACP nicely, under a sweatshirt or jacket or both. I normally wear both now that it is winter. I don't like mouse guns nor even 9x19's.

When I want to conceal really well I wear the shoulder holster over my undershirt and under my overshirt, with a sweater vest and jacket over that.
Karl
Marksman

Postby James » Wed 11 Jan 2017 6:09 pm

"Proper C/C etiquette is not to talk about it at all."

There ya go, cover up and shut up!
Carry on!
James
Sharp Shooter

Postby Karl » Sat 14 Jan 2017 11:11 am

So whereas some newbies to concealed carry have felt unusual about it or even stopped doing it after a while, I myself have found it to be perfectly natural, and I don't even think about it anymore.

The only time I do think about it is when I need to visit a place that does not allow it, such as Federal post offices. And since that is a short walk up the street about a block away it is no big deal to lock up my pistol in my tall safe, which is about the only time my pistol gets locked up in there anymore.

All other times my pistol is normally in my shoulder holster on my person and under my overshirt and over my undershirt then also under a sweatshirt, sweater, or jacket and nobody else notices it. And when not in my shoulder holster on my person it is under my pillow at night while I sleep. I also have a hip holster that I wear sometimes around my neighborhood while walking my pets.

So some people seem to be nervous about concealed carry, whereas I am not at all.

It's been 6 weeks for me since the BCI license arrived in the mail.
Karl
Marksman

Postby James » Sat 18 Feb 2017 8:22 am

You mention the US Post Office. I find it interesting that in this country that allows us to own guns and carry guns that someone found it necessary to make a rule that we can't pack to the Post Office. Here in this community we don't get mail delivery, but have to go to the PO and pick up our mail. I just park on the street and leave the gun in the car and walk in.

Also interesting that during hunting season many trucks have rifles in gun racks in the back window and they pull into the PO with the rifle in plain view and go in and get the mail. I don't see the Sheriff out there giving them tickets. ....... ?????
Carry on!
James
Sharp Shooter

Postby jfwright1955 » Sat 18 Feb 2017 12:01 pm

I have to wonder that in a strong firearm state such as Utah and, especially the rural areas, if the local law enforcement officers don't turn a blind eye to it.

I also have to wonder that in a state where everyone, even anti's, knows that carrying firearms is legal in most places with few exceptions that the anti's also assume it's okay to carry at the post office and so don't call in the rifles in the back of trucks.

If the police were to get a call, I'd assume they would then have to follow though with the complaint and enforce the law. I just wouldn't want to be the person displaying a rifle in the back of their truck and become Utah's test case for that.
John
NRA RSO
No one should make decisions for us when it comes to guns and gun carry. If we do things we're not comfortable with because someone told us it's 'right' it becomes a distraction in an event where clarity and simplicity is needed.
jfwright1955
Sniper

Previous

Return to Concealed Carry