Caliber restrictions for concealed carry?

Discuss issues regarding concealed carry.

Re: Caliber restrictions for concealed carry?

Postby Karl » Thu 12 Jan 2017 10:25 pm

bagpiper wrote:
Karl wrote:It takes 2 different kinds of firearms to deal with both 2 legged and 4 legged predators, because the 2 legged ones are more cunning and they will work their way up to you closer, whereas the 4 legged ones are bigger and may rush you.


I think a whole lot of experienced gun owners and back country enthusiasts have faired quite well with a single firearm for both. Anything that will half way reliably stop a large and dangerous animal ought to work fine against a criminal human.

A long gun of some sort certainly has advantages in terms of power. It has the disadvantage of weight and ease of carrying. Time to bring to action can also often be much slower depending on how it is (or isn't) carried or where it is stored.

Has it occurred to you that personal opinions and preferences can and maybe should be expressed as such, rather than asserted as Gospel truths?

So do you ever NOT complain about other people's posts?
Karl
Marksman
 
Posts: 160
Joined: Thu 06 Oct 2016 12:45 pm

Re: Caliber restrictions for concealed carry?

Postby bagpiper » Thu 12 Jan 2017 11:11 pm

Karl wrote:So do you ever NOT complain about other people's posts?


Your style is particularly off putting. Have you not noticed the difference in your style of emphatic assertion as if your opinions and very limited experience with Utah gun laws were gospel truth, and the less arrogant manner in which others post?

The off putting is double coming from someone who opposes full RKBA.

No matter. I'm done reading your tripe.
bagpiper
Sniper
 
Posts: 3107
Joined: Tue 09 Nov 2010 8:31 pm

Re: Caliber restrictions for concealed carry?

Postby Karl » Fri 13 Jan 2017 6:16 am

bagpiper wrote:
Karl wrote:So do you ever NOT complain about other people's posts?


Your style is particularly off putting. Have you not noticed the difference in your style of emphatic assertion as if your opinions and very limited experience with Utah gun laws were gospel truth, and the less arrogant manner in which others post?

The off putting is double coming from someone who opposes full RKBA.

No matter. I'm done reading your tripe.

"Full right to RKBA" is a concept that may have been valid under English Common Law in England once upon a time when Englishmen had these rights.

There is nobody on the US Supreme Court who believes this any longer however.

It is more of a fantasy pipe dream. It has no basis in modern constitutional Federal law.

Sure, AZ and VT and a few other states have implemented this, but only by virtue of their governors' and legislators' grace.

If reality puts you off then oh well.
Karl
Marksman
 
Posts: 160
Joined: Thu 06 Oct 2016 12:45 pm

Re: Caliber restrictions for concealed carry?

Postby morcey2 » Fri 13 Jan 2017 1:28 pm

Karl wrote:
bagpiper wrote:
Karl wrote:So do you ever NOT complain about other people's posts?


Your style is particularly off putting. Have you not noticed the difference in your style of emphatic assertion as if your opinions and very limited experience with Utah gun laws were gospel truth, and the less arrogant manner in which others post?

The off putting is double coming from someone who opposes full RKBA.

No matter. I'm done reading your tripe.

"Full right to RKBA" is a concept that may have been valid under English Common Law in England once upon a time when Englishmen had these rights.

There is nobody on the US Supreme Court who believes this any longer however.

It is more of a fantasy pipe dream. It has no basis in modern constitutional Federal law.

Sure, AZ and VT and a few other states have implemented this, but only by virtue of their governors' and legislators' grace.

If reality puts you off then oh well.


Um, Vermont has been Constitutional Carry since sometime around, oh, 1793 when its constitution was adopted. Also, the Heller decision specifically referenced Blackstone's Commentaries on the Laws of England and the majority's understanding of the concept of self-defense is shaped by those Commentaries along with Tucker's commentaries on Blackstone. I am not a lawyer, but I am related to several and have had the (mis)fortune to have to use them in a limited number of situations. Every lawyer I've talked to about it has affirmed that the understanding of English Common Law at the time of the founding is fundamental to understanding the law in the US (other than Louisiana state laws where they have some weird French connection.)

If that reality puts you off, oh well.

Matt
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Certified Shotgun Instructor
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor.
NRA Certified Muzzleloading Rifle Instructor
NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
Purveyor of bad jokes.
morcey2
Expert Marksman
 
Posts: 581
Joined: Wed 30 Nov 2011 6:07 pm
Location: South Utah County

Re: Caliber restrictions for concealed carry?

Postby Karl » Fri 13 Jan 2017 2:10 pm

Bagpiper is the one who is off-put.

I know all about AZ and VT.
Karl
Marksman
 
Posts: 160
Joined: Thu 06 Oct 2016 12:45 pm

Re: Caliber restrictions for concealed carry?

Postby JoeSparky » Fri 13 Jan 2017 2:46 pm

Now, what was the ORIGINAL TOPIC here? OH, Yeah---- Any caliber restrictions in UT for OC?

None that I am aware of. But, I'd recommend the ammo carried be suitable for the defensive tool one is also carrying!
JoeSparky
GOA Life Member
NRA Life Member
NAGR Member
UCC
OCDO

Remember IANAL
Praying that OUR Country can be returned to it's greatness and to it's CONSTITUTION!
JoeSparky
Sniper
 
Posts: 2899
Joined: Tue 08 Jul 2008 2:34 am
Location: Pleasant Grove, Utah

Re: Caliber restrictions for concealed carry?

Postby jfwright1955 » Fri 13 Jan 2017 3:02 pm

JoeSparky wrote:Now, what was the ORIGINAL TOPIC here? OH, Yeah---- Any caliber restrictions in UT for OC?

:spit:
John
NRA RSO
No one should make decisions for us when it comes to guns and gun carry. If we do things we're not comfortable with because someone told us it's 'right' it becomes a distraction in an event where clarity and simplicity is needed.
User avatar
jfwright1955
Sniper
 
Posts: 1032
Joined: Sun 13 Jan 2013 9:15 am

Re: Caliber restrictions for concealed carry?

Postby crgonzalez08 » Tue 18 Apr 2017 9:29 pm

althor wrote:
DaKnife wrote:
torichards wrote:Is anyone aware of any caliber restrictions for concealed carry weapons in Utah? I know some states restrict the caliber to .45.
I am looking at getting a concealed carry for a .50 so I can keep one in the chamber for bear protection in the unlikely event of an attack and bear spray not working.
Any thoughts?
-Tim

Yeah, overkill. Bear are not a problem here. You do need to be aware when in the back country but no carry permit is required outside of any cities. Step down to something manageable and more appropriate for two legged predators. The four legged ones just aren't worth the extra weight and you don't need a .50 round for a black bear should you decide to spend all your time in the mountains.


What did you mean by 'no carry permit is required outside of any cities.'? While hunting perhaps?

You can open carry anything here in Utah anywhere that is not posted as a free gun zone. The only restrictions if OCing is if you dont have a CCW permit the gun can't be fire ready. It has to be 2 moves from firing

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk
crgonzalez08
Novice
 
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon 04 Jul 2011 2:13 pm
Location: Centerville Utah

Re: Caliber restrictions for concealed carry?

Postby UtahCFP » Wed 19 Apr 2017 7:09 am

crgonzalez08 wrote:
<<stuff>>

You can open carry anything here in Utah anywhere that is not posted as a free gun zone. The only restrictions if OCing is if you dont have a CCW permit the gun can't be fire ready. It has to be 2 moves from firing

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk


What is this "posted" you speak of?
Dr. Dave (UtahCFP@gmail.com)
WAS a Utah Concealed Firearm Permit (CFP) Instructor
NOW a Texas License to Carry (LTC) Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor, Basic Rifle Instructor, Basic Shotgun Instructor, and RSO
NRA Life Member
User avatar
UtahCFP
Sniper
 
Posts: 2126
Joined: Thu 15 Nov 2007 7:28 pm
Location: Austin, TX

Re: Caliber restrictions for concealed carry?

Postby althor » Wed 19 Apr 2017 7:44 am

crgonzalez08 wrote:
althor wrote:
What did you mean by 'no carry permit is required outside of any cities.'? While hunting perhaps?

You can open carry anything here in Utah anywhere that is not posted as a free gun zone. The only restrictions if OCing is if you dont have a CCW permit the gun can't be fire ready. It has to be 2 moves from firing

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk


Do you realize that my comment was about concealed carry? Also, what do you mean by 'not posted as a free gun zone'? Posting of anything is not relevant unless you're talking about a church or private residence. An area might be posted as a 'prohibited area' where it is unlawful to discharge a firearm, but that would restrict loaded carry without a permit. Also, an openly carried gun, assuming it is legal to do so, can be loaded unless you are on a public street, in a vehicle without permission, or in the case of the prohibited area mentioned above.
Last edited by althor on Wed 19 Apr 2017 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
althor
Sharp Shooter
 
Posts: 989
Joined: Thu 11 Oct 2007 10:50 am
Location: West Jordan

Re: Caliber restrictions for concealed carry?

Postby Snurd » Wed 19 Apr 2017 7:44 am

UtahCFP wrote:
crgonzalez08 wrote:
<<stuff>>

You can open carry anything here in Utah anywhere that is not posted as a free gun zone. The only restrictions if OCing is if you dont have a CCW permit the gun can't be fire ready. It has to be 2 moves from firing

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk


What is this "posted" you speak of?


I think "free gun zones" are where they give you a gun just for showing up.


Sent from my iSnurd
Snurd
Posse
 
Posts: 9805
Joined: Sat 19 Jan 2008 10:24 am
Location: SLC

Previous

Return to Concealed Carry

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest