Concealed carry while wearing a backpack

Discuss issues regarding concealed carry.

Postby RoccoRacer » Tue 07 Feb 2012 7:04 am

Check out the 511tactical.com COVRT line
http://m.511tactical.com/All-Products/B ... Pouch.html
Ben
What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty or democracy?
Mohandas Gandhi
RoccoRacer
Sharp Shooter

Re: Concealed carry while wearing a backpack

Postby YoZUpZ » Tue 07 Feb 2012 4:15 pm

Are you set on CC? Or would you consider OC?

Around town, I almost always CC... But when I am backpacking/hiking, I always OC. Its just too much of a hastle trying to CC when every single of my CC spots is covered by the backpack/waist straps.

Lately, I've been using a Blackhawk Serpa with the paddle attachment and just slipping the paddle onto the waist strap of my rucksack. If I take the rucksack off, it takes about 5-10 seconds to pop the holster off the rucksack waist strap and put it onto my pants.

Another option is a drop leg holster, I have one, and I've used it twice... I'm not the biggest fan of those.
YoZUpZ
Marksman

Postby ranger45 » Thu 09 Feb 2012 9:01 pm

I use a wilderness safepacker attached to my shoulderstraps with small biners. works great. it's concealed, but still very accessable.
When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. When the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson
ranger45
Sharp Shooter

Postby Daeyel » Thu 16 Feb 2012 1:33 pm

I like the idea of the safepacker. I don't like the attachments.

I think I'd go with that safepacker idea, but instead, use velcro on the holster and the shoulder strap. Hang the gun upside down so that opening the holster drops the gun right into my hand, ready to go.
Only one individual can be 100% relied upon to be in your presence at all times and in all places to defend you and your family.
Act accordingly.
Daeyel
Sniper

Postby divegeek » Thu 16 Feb 2012 9:03 pm

I nearly always OC when backpacking. I have chosen to conceal a couple of times because I was with Boy Scouts and going to be around lots of other BSA leaders I didn't know. I used the SmartCarry then. It works, but it's definitely not very accessible. Plus I generally prefer to carry a pretty good-sized .357 magnum in the back country, and my SmartCarry is sized for my XD9SC. I think the safepacker would be a great option, except that the safepacker itself would be quite visible, leading to questions that I'd rather not answer.
Four boxes protect our liberty: soap, ballot, jury and ammo. Use in that order.

Utah CFP Instructor; NRA Certified Instructor for Pistol, Rifle and Self-Defense in the Home; NRA RSO.

I am not a lawyer!
divegeek
Top Shot

Postby Rupper » Thu 16 Feb 2012 10:11 pm

divegeek wrote:I have chosen to conceal a couple of times because I was with Boy Scouts

I have the same problem and would love to figure it out. Most of the time it is in my back pack which is not very accessible. When I am not with the scouts, I OC.
Rupper
Marksman

Postby divegeek » Thu 16 Feb 2012 11:19 pm

Rupper wrote:
divegeek wrote:I have chosen to conceal a couple of times because I was with Boy Scouts

I have the same problem and would love to figure it out. Most of the time it is in my back pack which is not very accessible. When I am not with the scouts, I OC.

I usually OC with the scouts, too. It's never bothered any of the boys, or their parents. I do worry about it when I get around a lot of other scouters, though. You never know when you'll run into one that takes the BSA's stance on the question seriously.
Four boxes protect our liberty: soap, ballot, jury and ammo. Use in that order.

Utah CFP Instructor; NRA Certified Instructor for Pistol, Rifle and Self-Defense in the Home; NRA RSO.

I am not a lawyer!
divegeek
Top Shot

Postby Rupper » Fri 17 Feb 2012 8:41 am

divegeek wrote:
Rupper wrote:

I usually OC with the scouts, too. It's never bothered any of the boys, or their parents. I do worry about it when I get around a lot of other scouters, though. You never know when you'll run into one that takes the BSA's stance on the question seriously.

You are lucky. We have several parents that would not let their sons come if they even knew a firearm was present. CC'ed, OC'ed, locked in a car, it doesn't matter. After all, you never know when the gun will jump up and start shooting on its own... :disgusted:
Rupper
Marksman

Postby RoccoRacer » Fri 17 Feb 2012 9:28 am

Do parents not realize that scouting original intent was to prepare boys for service in the army? Seems odd to me. Even in California guns were a normal part of scouting, actually it seems like being a boy scout was the only way you could shoot recreationally.
Ben
What difference does it make to the dead, the orphans, and the homeless, whether the mad destruction is wrought under the name of totalitarianism or the holy name of liberty or democracy?
Mohandas Gandhi
RoccoRacer
Sharp Shooter

Postby Rupper » Fri 17 Feb 2012 10:06 am

RoccoRacer wrote:Do parents not realize that scouting original intent was to prepare boys for service in the army? Seems odd to me. Even in California guns were a normal part of scouting, actually it seems like being a boy scout was the only way you could shoot recreationally.

Scouting has changed quite a bit. If you abide by the scout rules outlined in the Guide to Safe Scouting, you are very limited with what you can do with regards to firearms. This is especially true for the scouts (12-13 year olds). The Ventures (16+ years old) have more leaway, but not like what we did when I was in scouts years ago. Failure to abide by the Guide to Safe Scouting means you do not get a tour permit and have no insurance. Furthermore, any type of firearm activities have to have NRA credentialed leaders present.

Parents are a different story. There are some parents in our unit who would be fine with firearm related activities. Others are very anti-gun.
Rupper
Marksman

Postby goonsquad » Fri 17 Feb 2012 1:56 pm

I suppose thats why there are a lot of young men outings that take care of boy scout requirements but aren't boy scout outings...

Sad, the BSA used to not be so PC.
goonsquad
Marksman

Postby Whippersnapper » Thu 23 Feb 2012 11:21 pm

You might try a kangaroocarry holster. They are surprisingly comfortable, especially if you you wear it over an undershirt. . . I use one . . .

http://www.kangaroocarry.com

+1 for the smartcarry!
Whippersnapper
Novice

Postby Goof » Tue 24 Apr 2012 3:35 pm

Whippersnapper wrote:You might try a kangaroocarry holster. They are surprisingly comfortable, especially if you you wear it over an undershirt. . . I use one . . .

http://www.kangaroocarry.com

+1 for the smartcarry!

-1 kangaroocarry and under tech undercover.

It's a pity that some companies with possibly good products would soil themselves with displays that takes away and cheapens the appearance of their products. Under tech undercover uses the same "sex sells" tactic. I'm no prude, more of a pervert that thinks highly of the female body. However if a product cant sell w/o using an in your face display of "sex sells" it means they think so lowly of their own product, that it wouldn't sell without it. I also vote w/ my wallet, and it sucks sometimes.

I to have been looking for a conceal(ish) carry method while backpacking. I have found some full backpacks where you can place a gun between padding and the cargo area. It would require reaching behind you and a little resistance as you pull the gun from between you and the weight of the pack. I haven't found a day pack for this, but maybe the addition of a tactical fanny pack. I may resort to a belly band placed higher on me.

I did find this line of packs Maxpedition Falcon-II Backpack that have places for a gun. A bit pricey for me.
Goof
Marksman

Postby ennis » Sat 20 Oct 2012 11:26 pm

I'm always surprised by how much thought it takes for me to decide how to carry. It has to be somewhere between walking around with the gun at low ready, and having it in some deep concealment holster buried way down. After looking at all the answers here, I think I'll work on making some variant of the Wilderness Safepacker for myself. I use the Alaskan guide holster already, with my 4" s&w 500. Any other type of carry with that beast, doesn't give me both access and support that I want. For a 29 Glock, some sort of padded pocket that I can attach to the belt on my pack might work. I'll steal some of the ideas from the Safepacker. The only way to know what will work is to try. Thanks for getting me started in the right direction. :thewave:
Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around the laws.
ennis
Novice

Previous

Return to Concealed Carry