Utah State Parks

Discuss issues regarding concealed carry.

Utah State Parks

Postby D-FIN » Fri 07 Jun 2013 9:54 pm

I saw a thread on this a while back but I could not find it. I know I can carry there and I now they posted no firearms. Can someone tell what statute is the one that overrides and say CCW is ok in state parks in case I need to convince someone who does not know the law?
You can't win the sheep over to your side if your always showing them your fangs.
D-FIN
Sharp Shooter

Re: Utah State Parks

Postby UtahJarhead » Sat 08 Jun 2013 5:28 am

There isn't one. You can carry in all STATE parks and in the buildings within state parks (unless they've managed to put a prison, court, or mental hospital there).
DO NOT talk to cops! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc
Utah Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer, NRA Certified Pistol/Rifle Instructor
Cub Master
Art Scheel
UtahJarhead
Top Shot

Postby Car Knocker » Sat 08 Jun 2013 5:44 am

There's no law that prohibits carry in state parks and the Legislature has not chosen to authorize the agencies that oversee state parks to make rules, regulations or policies that curtail the carrying of firearms.
Don

-->insert witty and/or inspirational message here<--
Car Knocker
Posse

Postby gravedancer » Sat 08 Jun 2013 10:41 am

D-FIN wrote:I saw a thread on this a while back but I could not find it. I know I can carry there and I now they posted no firearms. Can someone tell what statute is the one that overrides and say CCW is ok in state parks in case I need to convince someone who does not know the law?

And if you find a state park with a sign posted saying no firearms, take a picture, and bring it up and get the sign changed. I did that last year with the illegal sign at Kodachrome basin. At least... I was told it would be corrected. I havent gone back this year to verify that.

There is no law saying you CANT carry in state parks, which means you can. THere IS, however, a law saying its illegal for any government entity from state level down to make or enforce any law pertaining to guns which is more restrictive than whats in the state constitution. Thats what makes the signs illegal.
"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without an accordion. All you leave behind is a lot of noisy baggage."
gravedancer
Sniper

Postby JoeSparky » Sat 08 Jun 2013 7:13 pm

Is it possible the sign seen was on a National park building---- not a State park building?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JoeSparky
GOA Life Member
NRA Life Member
NAGR Member
UCC
OCDO

Remember IANAL
Praying that OUR Country can be returned to it's greatness and to it's CONSTITUTION!
JoeSparky
Sniper

Postby D-FIN » Tue 11 Jun 2013 1:14 pm

I cant say for sure. I have seen signs at state parks before which was why I was curious but I will watch more closely now and take pictures. I thought Someone had posted once something that showed a list of exemptions for CCW but that must have been something else.
You can't win the sheep over to your side if your always showing them your fangs.
D-FIN
Sharp Shooter

Postby UtahJarhead » Tue 11 Jun 2013 3:01 pm

D-FIN wrote:I cant say for sure. I have seen signs at state parks before which was why I was curious but I will watch more closely now and take pictures. I thought Someone had posted once something that showed a list of exemptions for CCW but that must have been something else.

There are no exceptions for concealed carry at State Parks because State Parks don't have airport terminals, jails, courts, or mental hospitals.

There *ARE* restrictions on DISCHARGE but not possession.
Cub Master
Art Scheel
UtahJarhead
Top Shot

Postby D-FIN » Wed 12 Jun 2013 6:13 pm

http://www.stateparks.utah.gov/reservations/park-rules

Firearms– Firearms are allowed in state parks and their use is regulated by state law. Firearms and other weapons may not be used in state park buildings, in camping and picnic sites, at overlooks, on golf courses, boat ramps or developed beaches, or within 600 feet of any building (76-10-508 UCA).

I guess that says it there. So I'm fine unless I have to use it for defense in a developed area of the park then I will have broken the rules. :roll:
D-FIN
Sharp Shooter

Postby UtahJarhead » Wed 12 Jun 2013 8:13 pm

D-FIN wrote:http://www.stateparks.utah.gov/reservations/park-rules

Firearms– Firearms are allowed in state parks and their use is regulated by state law. Firearms and other weapons may not be used in state park buildings, in camping and picnic sites, at overlooks, on golf courses, boat ramps or developed beaches, or within 600 feet of any building (76-10-508 UCA).

I guess that says it there. So I'm fine unless I have to use it for defense in a developed area of the park then I will have broken the rules. :roll:

The Uniform Code provides for affirmative defenses.
Cub Master
Art Scheel
UtahJarhead
Top Shot

Postby gravedancer » Wed 12 Jun 2013 9:19 pm

Self defense is an exception to any rules governing discharge of a firearm (which is what those policies you quoted are). The important part of the policy is the "and their use is governed by state law". State law says its illegal for a state park (or any other public entity) to make or enforce any rules of their own concerning guns. They can only enforce what is in state law. The "Firearms may not be USED" is referring to areas where discharge of a firearm for non self defense purposes is illegal. In other words, dont roll up on a beach in a state park and start target shooting, even if nobody is around but you. You can get busted for illegal discharge of a firearm. However, roll up on the same beach, and defend yourself against a guy that tries to mug you, and you are not in violation of state law, because pretty much all the laws governing display of or discharge of a firearm have language in them like "it is a defense against prosecution under this statute if the weapon was used for self defense".
"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without an accordion. All you leave behind is a lot of noisy baggage."
gravedancer
Sniper

Postby D-FIN » Thu 13 Jun 2013 12:23 pm

gravedancer wrote:

Self defense is an exception to any rules governing discharge of a firearm (which is what those policies you quoted are). The important part of the policy is the "and their use is governed by state law". State law says its illegal for a state park (or any other public entity) to make or enforce any rules of their own concerning guns. They can only enforce what is in state law. The "Firearms may not be USED" is referring to areas where discharge of a firearm for non self defense purposes is illegal. In other words, dont roll up on a beach in a state park and start target shooting, even if nobody is around but you. You can get busted for illegal discharge of a firearm. However, roll up on the same beach, and defend yourself against a guy that tries to mug you, and you are not in violation of state law, because pretty much all the laws governing display of or discharge of a firearm have language in them like "it is a defense against prosecution under this statute if the weapon was used for self defense".

When it comes "laws" this is true but "rules" are another story. In this case it would likely be the same either way but if a private entity like a business has similar "rules" then you could still be in violation of those "rules". You may be good with the "law" but violating the "rule" could have other consequences like loss of a job or being banned from an establishment.
D-FIN
Sharp Shooter

Postby gravedancer » Thu 13 Jun 2013 2:35 pm

D-FIN wrote:When it comes "laws" this is true but "rules" are another story. In this case it would likely be the same either way but if a private entity like a business has similar "rules" then you could still be in violation of those "rules". You may be good with the "law" but violating the "rule" could have other consequences like loss of a job or being banned from an establishment.

In this case we are talking about state parks, so their Rules are dictated by law.
gravedancer
Sniper

Postby steelhawk » Sat 15 Jun 2013 2:17 pm

gravedancer wrote:
D-FIN wrote:I saw a thread on this a while back but I could not find it. I know I can carry there and I now they posted no firearms. Can someone tell what statute is the one that overrides and say CCW is ok in state parks in case I need to convince someone who does not know the law?

And if you find a state park with a sign posted saying no firearms, take a picture, and bring it up and get the sign changed. I did that last year with the illegal sign at Kodachrome basin. At least... I was told it would be corrected. I havent gone back this year to verify that.

There is no law saying you CANT carry in state parks, which means you can. THere IS, however, a law saying its illegal for any government entity from state level down to make or enforce any law pertaining to guns which is more restrictive than whats in the state constitution. Thats what makes the signs illegal.

We went to the Basin in July of last year and there were memos to the staff posted on the wall that firearms were allowed in the park.
Owner, Bear River Holsters www.BearRiverHolsters.com
Email: BearRiverHolsters@yahoo.com

America needs to be restored, not remade!

Algore may or may not like Arabs, but he sure loves their oil money.
steelhawk
Marksman

Postby Burgermeister » Sun 16 Jun 2013 10:21 am

I live near Kodachrome Basin SP, Petrified Forest SP, and Anasazi Museum SP. Carry OC and CC frequently with no problems.
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither safety nor liberty. Benjamin Franklin
Burgermeister
Novice

Return to Concealed Carry