Utah Guns Forum banner

Leather holster modification

4K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  collegeboy 
#1 ·
I bought a used leather & Kydex holster recently and want to have the leather modified to make the pistol easier to draw. The leather is two-layered in the area I want to have modified and would need to be re-stitched and have the edge re-finished. Does anyone know of a shop in Salt Lake Valley I could trust to do quality work on it?

#3 ·
A couple of questions:

Was the holster designed for firearm that you are trying to make fit or are you trying to modify a holster design to carry gun A to, instead, carry gun B?

If the former, then try putting the gun in the holster and then slowly heating the kydex with a blow dryer, hot air gun, or place in a convection oven at 180 degrees. The heat will soft the kydex, allowing it to remode itself to the firearm and may provide the expansion you are looking for without the cost of reworking the holster. Be careful of plastic parts on the gun. Some sights and hand grips don't like excessive heat.

If the later, I'd strongly recommend that you get a holster made for the specific model of gun you are intending on carrying. It will be cheaper in the long run and you'll be much more satisfied.

#4 ·
The holster in question has a Kydex body specifically made for the kind of pistol I'm intending to have carried in it. It's the leather backing that's the problem.

The issue is the upper edge of the leather backing interferes with the draw. If it were cut a little differently, one could easily get a firing grip on the pistol when drawing. Otherwise, it fits fine. What I'm looking to have done is have a little bit of the edge reshaped.

#6 ·
D-FIN said:
Sounds like he wants to change it to a combat cut. What brand is the holster?
The holster is a Comp-Tac Minotaur MTAC of relatively new production.

Yes, I would like it modified to be what Crossbreed would call a combat cut. What's interesting is I have another MTAC I bought six years ago that was already a "combat cut". Comp-Tac has apparently changed the design since then.

#7 ·
Many manufacturers have a strong enough policy on customer satisfaction thatv they might just swap out that piece for you if you asked. It might be worth contacting them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#9 ·
After living with a Crossbreed, without a 'combat cut', for a couple of years, I decided to modify it myself.
The leather backing piece was only a single layer and with a sharp knife, a buffer on a dremel tool, and some black shoe dye that I already had, it turned out just fine.
The stitching that you would have to re-do would be the only challenging part that you'd have to be concerned about. - Guess that's why you're asking about a leather shop - eh?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.