Utah Guns Forum banner

How to conceal in non-normal clothing.

12K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  bagpiper 
#1 ·
As a frequent wearer of Kilts, does anybody have any good suggestions as to how to conceal in one? I don't know if anybody has any experience with such a thing, but I'd be curious to hear your input.

Also, has anybody ever concealed (or carried in any fashion) while wearing overalls? Just some food for thought.

#2 ·
Robert A. Heinlein has his kilted characters carrying concealed with thigh holsters and scabbards.
I suspect that a concealed knife or gun under a skirt is not unusual for the distaff half of the population.

#3 ·
Depending on the size of the belt worn with it, you could probably use an IWB holster. If it's a wider belt like most pictures I have seen, it probably wouldn't work out so well.
The Bellyband may be a good option.
Smartcarry would work as long as it's accessible from the top. It could be awkward trying to unholster by lifting up the kilt and unholstering it that way. But then again, it could be a good distraction. :shock:

Sent from iSnurd

#7 ·
Never in overalls.

But in my kilt it is quite easy.

1-Assuming the gun is at all pretty, it can be OC'd nicely with a kilt and is often the last thing noticed if one is full dress with a dirk or other ornamental weapons.

2-Depending on exactly what kind of kilt you are wearing (great kilt, petite/modern kilt with plaid, or without plaid), and whether you are wearing a jacket, etc, there is a lot of material into which you can conceal a gun. An IWB holster works as well in a kilt as it does trousers. An OWB can be hidden nicely in the fabric of a plaid or inside the tucks of the top of a great kilt.

3-A pocket gun can often fit into the sporran.

I've done all of the above at one time or another in my kilts.

4-A thigh holster should conceal very nicely under the kilt, but may not be very comfortable on bare skin.

Finally, kilts are entirely "normal" clothing. They are normal Scottish/Celtic attire, just as trousers are normal Saxon attire.

Charles

#8 ·
bagpiper said:
Never in overalls.

But in my kilt it is quite easy.

1-Assuming the gun is at all pretty, it can be OC'd nicely with a kilt and is often the last thing noticed if one is full dress with a dirk or other ornamental weapons.

2-Depending on exactly what kind of kilt you are wearing (great kilt, petite/modern kilt with plaid, or without plaid), and whether you are wearing a jacket, etc, there is a lot of material into which you can conceal a gun. An IWB holster works as well in a kilt as it does trousers. An OWB can be hidden nicely in the fabric of a plaid or inside the tucks of the top of a great kilt.

3-A pocket gun can often fit into the sporran.

I've done all of the above at one time or another in my kilts.

4-A thigh holster should conceal very nicely under the kilt, but may not be very comfortable on bare skin.

Finally, kilts are entirely "normal" clothing. They are normal Scottish/Celtic attire, just as trousers are normal Saxon attire.

Charles
I know that they are not "abnormal," but since the majority of people DON'T wear them, they might see them as non-normal. Or I suppose a better term would have been out of the norm for around these parts. :)

I wear a modern kilt, not a great kilt. (It's on the list of wants for one day... *gazes away wistfully*). I cannae figure out how I would use an OWB, but I figure the IWB might not be too difficult. The clips on my holster won't fit around my belt though. I also don't have a nice OC holster yet... (another thing on the list of wants... *gazes away wistfully again*). What kind of set up do you wear when you OC in your kilt?

#10 ·
#11 ·
SirGentleman said:
[
I wear a modern kilt, not a great kilt. (It's on the list of wants for one day... *gazes away wistfully*). I cannae figure out how I would use an OWB, but I figure the IWB might not be too difficult. The clips on my holster won't fit around my belt though. I also don't have a nice OC holster yet... (another thing on the list of wants... *gazes away wistfully again*). What kind of set up do you wear when you OC in your kilt?
I just use my Serpa retention paddle holster with my petite kilt.

I actually use a police duty belt for my great kilt, so I could easily use a belt holster through which a duty belt is strung if I wanted to. I just don't have one. The hard part there would be actually OCing with all the fabric. :D Even an OWB, OC holster tends to get lost really easily in that case. Permit means I'm good to go either way or anywhere in between. And with the dirk and sgian-dubh the gun isn't the most noticeable thing. Go full formal with a basket-hilt and nobody would notice the gun at all. :shades:

Charles

#13 ·
I don't know anything about kilts but I do have a question.....

I hear the terms "great" and "petite" ---- does this refer to the skirt length? :ROFL: :ROFL:

#14 ·
Photocell said:
D-FIN said:
You could get one of these

Similar thread: http://jungletraining.com/forums/showth ... der/page11

Videos: :ROFL:

And just like that. Bam!!!! I'm in the market for a kilt. I wonder if I could get one in time for the IDPA state match?
I ran a IPSC match with mine. Folks were making all kinds of comments and acting like total 5370H55V until they saw me shoot. Walked away placing 3rd.

#15 ·
JoeSparky said:

I hear the terms "great" and "petite" ---- does this refer to the skirt length?
No. Both a great (archaic) and petite (modern) kilt should be worn about the same length: no longer than the top of the knee cap to maybe 1, 1/2 inches above the knee.

The difference is style. The Great Kilt is the older, original kilt. The Petite, Small, Walking, or Modern kilt is what the Great Kilt evolved into.

Wiki has a nice write up on the history of the kilt.

The Great Kilt has the advantage of being much easier to resize as you gain or lose weight. It is now considered the most formal of kilts one might wear and looks great with full formal accessories, though it can also be worn very casually as well. The Petite Kilt is easier and faster to put on and take off and frankly is easier to wear in most modern environments where having upwards of 9 yards of full width, heavy fabric wrapped around your body tends to just get in the way or be hot.

Charles

#16 ·
JoeSparky said:

I hear the terms "great" and "petite" ---- does this refer to the skirt length? :ROFL: :ROFL:
The petite kilt (or more commonly called the Modern kilt) is what you see most people wearing nowadays. It doesn't have the piece of cloth that goes up and over the shoulder.
http://www.kinlochanderson.com/media/ca ... n_kilt.jpg for instance.

The great kilt does go up over the shoulder. Basically, think of the Braveheart kilts. Or this one.
http://i839.photobucket.com/albums/zz31 ... oy-001.jpg

Those are "great kilts." However, ALL kilts are great. :)

#17 ·
Here's a great video explaining kilts (and William Wallace) and how to put on a great kilt. Skip to 2:50 if you don't want the history.

#19 ·
UCChris said:
Yo SirGentleman, are you aware of the Scottish Festival at Thanksgiving Point every year?
Yes indeedy. I'm going this year. Kilted up and everything. I'll figure out the carry situation later. :) You gonna go? It's a lot of fun. The caber toss is awesome to watch. And the bagpipes are amazing.

#20 ·
SirGentleman said:
UCChris said:
Yo SirGentleman, are you aware of the Scottish Festival at Thanksgiving Point every year?
Yes indeedy. I'm going this year. Kilted up and everything. I'll figure out the carry situation later. :) You gonna go? It's a lot of fun. The caber toss is awesome to watch. And the bagpipes are amazing.
I'm going for sure! I go every year. Gotta get my yearly fix of haggis!

I wonder if the venue allows open carry? That would make carry 100% easier in a kilt.

Sent via carrier pigeon

#21 ·
UCChris said:
I wonder if the venue allows open carry? That would make carry 100% easier in a kilt.
This year's Scottish festival at Thanksgiving Point is coming up quickly, about 10 days out: Friday and Saturday, June 12 and 13. I do not know whether that venue has any restrictions on carrying. I would guess not. Knives, swords, and other such items are common at the festival. A no-gun or even no-OC policy would not be popular with many who attend.

The Scottish festival in Payson is July 10th and 11th and is held in the Payson City park. Last time I was there, they weren't even charging admission being a public park and all, so I'm pretty sure no carry restrictions beyond State/federal laws.

Charles

#22 ·
bagpiper said:
UCChris said:
This year's Scottish festival at Thanksgiving Point is coming up quickly, about 10 days out: Friday and Saturday, June 12 and 13. I do not know whether that venue has any restrictions on carrying. I would guess not. Knives, swords, and other such items are common at the festival. A no-gun or even no-OC policy would not be popular with many who attend.

The Scottish festival in Payson is July 10th and 11th and is held in the Payson City park. Last time I was there, they weren't even charging admission being a public park and all, so I'm pretty sure no carry restrictions beyond State/federal laws.

Charles
I had no idea the TP one was coming up so fast. Thanks for the heads up! I'll be there, concealing though.

#23 ·
bagpiper said:
UCChris said:

Charles
How is the one in Payson? Smaller than TP I would imagine, but is it just as enjoyable?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.