How long it takes to receive a Utah CFP

Discuss issues regarding concealed carry.

How long it takes to receive a Utah CFP

Postby divegeek » Fri 08 May 2009 12:24 pm

This is a common question, and based on forum members who've reported their own experiences, I've taken a stab at tracking the BCI's performance over the last couple of years, and estimating the current delay. See the numbers on the charts below to get an idea how long yours will take.

One thing that you can do to help your permit arrive faster is to hand-deliver your application to the BCI, and pay your fees in cash. Since the BCI counts the time they took your money as the time they "received" your permit, this may cut out a significant amount of waiting time.

Below are three charts, showing the delays for all permits, mailed permits only and hand-delivered permits only. These charts are kept up to date! If you revisit this topic, you'll see the latest information! These charts are based on self-reported information so please, please give us your application, payment and permit receipt dates. You do that by sending a Private Message to me with the date you sent (or delivered) your application, the date the BCI received it, the date the BCI processed your payment and the date you received your permit. I summarize the information in this spreadsheet, which is used to generate the charts below. You may have to guess at when the BCI received your application, based on how long you think it takes mail to get from you to Salt Lake City.

Each of the charts below is linked to a larger version, if you want to see more detail, just click on the chart.

To read the chart:

• Each applicant's experience is shown as follows:
    • The purple dot indicates how many days elapsed before the permit was received by the applicant.
    • The blue dot indicates how many days elapsed before payment (check cashed, credit card charged).
    • The dotted orange line between the blue and purple dots shows the length of time the BCI considers themselves to have "received" the application. There's a smaller brown dot that tracks this, showing what the BCI believes their performance to be.
    • Applicants that haven't yet received their permit have a dotted red line instead of an orange line. Its length shows what the BCI's performance would be if that applicant received their permit TODAY. When they receive their permit, the line will turn orange and acquire a purple dot at the top.
  • The blue horizontal line shows the 63-day mark. The law allows the BCI 60 days to issue the permit, and I arbitrarily add three days to account for mail delivery time.
  • The purple, brown and blue lines show an exponential moving average of the BCI's performance. From those averages, I extrapolate current expected wait times, which are shown numerically on the right.
  • The vertical green line designates the "half-received mark". Of permits applied for after this date, less than half of the recipients have gotten their permit.

CHARTS ARE BROKEN. I don't think it matters now so I won't bother to fix them. If the BCI gets slow again, I'll start updating the spreadsheet and fix the charts.

These charts will be updated DAILY. It's an automated process, but it can break if someone puts crud into the spreadsheet. In that case, the charts will stop changing, which will be easy to notice because of the dates at the top.

Oh, one more chart that shows more history. Hopefully we'll fill in some older data and make this view more useful.

Last edited by divegeek on Wed 23 Dec 2009 12:14 am, edited 8 times in total.
Four boxes protect our liberty: soap, ballot, jury and ammo. Use in that order.

Utah CFP Instructor; NRA Certified Instructor for Pistol, Rifle and Self-Defense in the Home; NRA RSO.

I am not a lawyer!
divegeek
Top Shot

Re: How long will it take to get your permit?

Postby josefn » Fri 08 May 2009 7:27 pm

Excellent work! Sure looks like it pays to turn in in-person, if you can... by a week or two... Thanx for all the work you put in to this... I have a better idea of what to expect now other than the "60-days" rhetoric from the BCI office... :thumbsup:
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good"

-- George Washington
josefn
Novice

Re: How long it takes to receive a Utah CFP

Postby GenkiSudo » Tue 12 May 2009 5:39 am

Thanks for putting in the work on this. That's a lot of work to collect the info! :shades:
Remember, remember the eleventh of September
The hijacker's murderous plot
They heard our cry as planes fell from the sky
Let 9/11 never be forgot
GenkiSudo
Marksman

Postby divegeek » Tue 12 May 2009 8:14 am

GenkiSudo wrote:Thanks for putting in the work on this. That's a lot of work to collect the info! :shades:

Welcome. It was actually fun putting the charts together, and didn't take as long as you might think to wade through the pages of posts. However, I much prefer having people enter their own info into the spreadsheet :-)

Utah CFP Instructor; NRA Certified Instructor for Pistol, Rifle and Self-Defense in the Home; NRA RSO.

I am not a lawyer!
divegeek
Top Shot

Postby Armyguy » Thu 14 May 2009 9:01 am

A miracle! My card was charged today by BCI after about 40 days! Those folks are so busy, I don't expect my permit before early to mid August.
Armyguy :tank:
Armyguy
Novice

Postby T.M.Ray » Wed 27 May 2009 7:16 pm

:dancing: :dancing: :dancing: Oh my goodness, can you believe it !!! Our Permit(s) arrived today. Paid for my wife's and mine the same day, they arrived in the mail together today ! :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: Walked the paperwork in on 3/9/09, they cashed my check 3/12/09, and they arrived today 5/27/09.
"A free people ought to be armed." -George Washington (Jan 14, 1790, Boston Independent Chronicle)
T.M.Ray
Marksman

Postby Jumper » Sun 07 Jun 2009 8:36 am

just got mine yesterday what a wait. handed in paper on 2-26-09.
Jumper
Marksman

Postby Cabinetmaker » Thu 18 Jun 2009 6:19 pm

I turned my application in today and was told 75-80 days to receive it.

6/18/09
Cabinetmaker
Marksman

Postby sauerpauer » Sat 20 Jun 2009 5:11 am

Can we extend the labeling on the graph a bit so it shows April thru July? It'd make it a bit easier to see the more recent trends, which'd be nice since they hired a few more people.
sauerpauer
Novice

Postby CarryUtah.com » Sat 20 Jun 2009 12:25 pm

Wow, I was told recently (March) that they had hired new people up there and were within the 60 requirement again.... I guess not. I ALWAYS tell my students to turn their applications in to BCI in person and pay cash. Remember that the statue mandates that they process the paperwork within 60 days but it doesn't say how long they have to open the envelope and start the process. Application are sitting in the mailroom for weeks on end. If you hand in your paperwork in person and pay cash you force their hand to begin processing immediately.
Jacob Paulsen
Utah State Certified Concealed Carry Instructor. NRA Instructor
http://www.carryutah.com
CarryUtah.com
Novice

Postby dldever01 » Wed 24 Jun 2009 6:41 am

Since it is an approx. 300 mile drive one-way to SLC to drop off an application, I decided to send mine from Moab via UPS letter.
Sent via UPS Tuesday 6/16/09
Received at BCI Wednesday 6/17/09 (delivery confirmation received from UPS)
Check deposited Monday 6/22/09 (Wells Fargo)
Check cleared my account Tuesday 6/23/09 (Wells Fargo)

It appears for those who send an application via normal mail, that if it is sent via UPS/FedEx/or Certified US Mail with a delivery confirmation, BCI starts the process upon receipt of the application. The delivery confirmation might work similar to a hand-delivered drop off. I guess I will sit back now and see if this is true or not.

"The American Republic will endure, until politicians realize they can
bribe the people with their own money."
– Alexis de Tocqueville

NCMEC-Project ALERT
dldever01
Marksman

Postby Outsider » Thu 25 Jun 2009 10:58 am

I visited BCI a couple months ago (April 2009) to get fingerprinted for my Private Investigator and Bail Recovery licenses and where they fingerprint you is where they also print Utah CFPs. It was around 0730 hours and the guy there just had stacks and stacks being printed and stuffed. I was like, "Wow..."

Thanks for the charts!!! I don't have to deal with this for another four years! YEAH! :dancing:
Outsider
Expert Marksman

Postby divegeek » Sat 27 Jun 2009 10:06 am

sauerpauer wrote:Can we extend the labeling on the graph a bit so it shows April thru July? It'd make it a bit easier to see the more recent trends, which'd be nice since they hired a few more people.

Done. I changed it from showing the last 14 months to the last 18 months.

I am not a lawyer!
divegeek
Top Shot

Postby Armyguy » Wed 05 Aug 2009 8:31 pm

Hi guy!
80 days and counting for my CWP. Channel 4 had a story on last night that said BCI had hired extra people and that they were down to 76 days now. You may be able to see it on their website. Channel 5 has a CWP story tonight at 10PM.
Thanks,
Lou :tank:
Armyguy
Novice

Postby sigboy66 » Fri 07 Aug 2009 1:20 pm

Took me 2 weeks to get mine renewed from the time I mailed it off to when I recieved it back. :crown:
sigboy66
Novice

Next

Return to Concealed Carry