Utah Guns Forum banner

10/13/2012, "Science Club Meeting"

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  rccooley 
#1 ·
Mark your calendars for October 13, when T.E.S.L.A. (Tooele Engineering and Science Learning Activities) will be doing our thermite lesson for the older kids! The younger kids (grades 4-6)will be learning about metals earlier in the day; the older kids (grades 7 and up) will be lighting metals on fire. Adults are, of course, welcome, and due to huge adult interest in the subject matter, I expect the adult:child ratio to be greater than 1.

#2 ·
#3 ·
AlanM said:
Are you going to make some pyrophoric iron?

My high school Honors Chemistry teacher, Mr. Crisman, used to do all sorts of demonstrations that either went flash! :shock: or bang! :shocked: or both. :shock: :shocked:

Thermite, potassium permanganate + glycerin, pyrophoric iron, Nitrogen triiodide, and calcium carbide + water, just to name a few.

Of course, there was always the old standard, H2[/sub]SO[sub]4[/sub] + C[sub]12[/sub]H[sub]22[/sub]O[sub]11.
Just thermite this time, but the sulfuric acid and sugar reaction is one of my favorites. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.