Utah Guns Forum banner

2a Rally 2/23 capitol ??

6K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  JoeSparky 
#1 ·
was there a rally planned for this Saturday? I seem to remember something, but can't find any information.

#2 ·
Salt Lake City Day of Resistance

.223 Day of Resistance in Salt Lake City, UtahWhen: February 23, 2013 from 12:00 until 2:00 pm.Where: Utah State Capitol Building south steps. (Rain or Shine)What: Join us in standing together as neighbors, friends, and fellow Americans as we show our support for the Constitution and the 2nd Amendment. We WILL make our voices heard...WE THE PEOPLE will not sit idly by and allow our rights to be stripped away. We are honored to have Chairman of Special Operations for America, a former SEAL Team Six Commander, and Montana State Senator, Ryan Zinke as our Guest of Honor and Keynote Speaker. We will also have the pleasure of hearing messages from Fran Tully of Utah Gun Owners, Clark Aposhian of Utah Shooting Sports Council, Janalee Tobias of Women Against Gun Control, Nick Moyes of Utah Gun Exchange, as well as, Kyal 2K, Jim Kirkwood, and Dale Williams all of K-Talk Radio. Come be a part of this momentous occasion for Utah and the entire nation!

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2

#8 ·
whiptrackercracker said:
Hmmmmm, I may have to go. This is funny, all these years, and I finally just realized the .223 to 2/23 connection. Terrible, considering its my birthday and all. Guess I'm more partial to 5.56.
Maybe you better go on Saturday. I doubt there will be one on the 56th of May.....

#9 ·
Liberty Nut said:
whiptrackercracker said:
Hmmmmm, I may have to go. This is funny, all these years, and I finally just realized the .223 to 2/23 connection. Terrible, considering its my birthday and all. Guess I'm more partial to 5.56.
Maybe you better go on Saturday. I doubt there will be one on the 56th of May.....
It could happen...... :lol3:

#11 ·
skipper said:
Please confirm day
Somebody told me the rally was schedule Friday and Saturday
If you are on Facebook, search on "Day of Resistance". It is indeed on Saturday. Facebook page has all the details. They are all over the country, and there are specific details for Salt Lake City.

#13 ·
I was there and it was cold. But I had a good time. One thing caught my eye, though. A guy showed up with his son, probably 8 years old, and the boy had what looked like a Smith & Wesson version of an AR-type .22 on his back while his dad had a regular AR. They were just standing there for a bit but then a cop walked up to the dad and told him it was illegal for his son to be carrying a rifle. I don't have kids so this is way out of any gun area I've had an interest in so I'm curious as to the legality (if anybody here knows). The kid was with his father the whole time and I never saw him play with the rifle; it was slung across his back.

#14 ·
Maniakmedic said:
I don't have kids so this is way out of any gun area I've had an interest in so I'm curious as to the legality (if anybody here knows).
Here's what I could find:
http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/FirearmLaws.html said:
It is unlawful for a minor under 18 years of age to possess a dangerous weapon unless he is accompanied by a parent or guardian or has their permission to have the weapon. A minor under 14 years of age must be accompanied by a parent.
Sources: 53-5-704 Division duties - Utah Code §§ 23-20-11 et seq., 24-2-17, 76-10-301, 76-10-501 et seq. (might only apply to hunting situations)
But then there's:
http://www.le.utah.gov/code/TITLE76/pdf/76_10_050907.pdf said:
Any parent or guardian of a minor who knows that the minor is in possession of a
dangerous weapon in violation of Section 76-10-509 or a firearm in violation of Section
76-10-509.4 and fails to make reasonable efforts to remove the firearm from the minor's
possession is guilty of a class B misdemeanor.
76-10-509.7
:dunno:

#15 ·
509.4 deals with handguns and NFA weapons, 509 was basically summarized by the first passage. The kid was legal as long as his father was there with him.

76-10-509. Possession of dangerous weapon by minor.

(1) A minor under 18 years of age may not possess a dangerous weapon unless he:

(a) has the permission of his parent or guardian to have the weapon; or

(b) is accompanied by a parent or guardian while he has the weapon in his possession.

(2) Any minor under 14 years of age in possession of a dangerous weapon shall be accompanied by a responsible adult.
76-10-509.4. Prohibition of possession of certain weapons by minors.

(1) A minor under 18 years of age may not possess a handgun.

(2) Except as provided by federal law, a minor under 18 years of age may not possess the following:

(a) a sawed-off rifle or sawed-off shotgun; or

(b) a fully automatic weapon.

#17 ·
Per Mitch Vilos in his Utah Gun Laws book, the child should have had a note on his person stating that he had the firearm for a specific purpose and he had the permission of his parent/guardian to met FEDERAL law. This is inspite of the parent being there with the child!

#18 ·
Awesome, more of that is needed. I couldn't make it. Glad some of you could.

#19 ·
The kid was very well-behaved and his father was with him the whole time. It was a state trooper that told him his son couldn't have the rifle. I have a couple of pictures of the trooper talking to him (I was actually trying to get pictures from behind of the father and son standing together but then the fat cop got in the way).

#20 ·
JoeSparky said:
Per Mitch Vilos in his Utah Gun Laws book, the child should have had a note on his person stating that he had the firearm for a specific purpose and he had the permission of his parent/guardian to met FEDERAL law. This is inspite of the parent being there with the child!
That is false. With the Parent right there they are in full compliance with the law. No note was needed as these juveniles had long guns not Handguns which is what Mitch was referring to as per Pg 276 of 4th ed Utah Gun Law.

#21 ·
DaKnife said:
JoeSparky said:
That is false. With the Parent right there they are in full compliance with the law. No note was needed as these juveniles had long guns not Handguns which is what Mitch was referring to as per Pg 276 of 4th ed Utah Gun Law.
OK you got me. I was going by memory. After reading your first portion, I spent some time looking for my copy--- it has escaped me right now! And then I read the rest of your post! I will sit corrected!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.