Utah Guns Forum banner

.22 Rifle "Poker Shoot" competition

4K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Tenuki 
#1 ·
I'm putting together a .22 rifle "poker shoot".

The plan is to break up into groups of 4 to 6. Each shooter will draw then shoot in a random order.

We have a target made up of 52 cards, faces showing with a 1/2 inch dot on each card. We draw 5 cards from an actual deck of playing cards. We then have the chance to turn in whatever cards we don't want, then shoot at the cards on the target that we want to replace the cards we turned in and whatever cards we hit completes our hand. We are looking at shooting from 17 yards with a bench rest and you have to hit the 1/2 inch dot to get the card. That's for the shooters with scopes. We are still working on some details to make sure it's fun and fair and as welcoming as possible.

We want shooters with open sights to be able to participate so we are working on a course of fire that works for them too. We will also want to accommodate younger shooters - of course, some parents may not want to be teaching there kids to gamble? We'll figure something out, maybe a parent could run their kid through the NRA light rifle marksmanship tests - we have targets for that.

To make things interesting, the plan is to ante in to the game with .22 ammo... let's say with 3-5 bullets. Then as you draw your cards and shoot and play your hand, you could either fold or start raising the other competitors... if you have a good hand going... or if you're good at bluffing!

Don't worry, a friend of mine is an Assistant District Attorney. I've got a call into him to make sure we won't be breaking any Utah gambling laws. If betting with bullets is gambling, we will figure out some other legitimate way to reward winners.

The date is set for November 12, at 6:30pm at the Pleasant Grove Sportsman's Club - 610 E Center Street, basement entrance on the West side of the building. We had to do a weeknight because every weekend is booked up in November.

Nice thing about this event is that a person could show up anytime between 6:30pm and about 9pm and jump into a game.

Cost is going to be $10.

Please email me to let me know you're coming. groundswellinstruction@gmail.com

Thanks,

Brandon

See less See more
#2 ·
I have school that night but it is at UVU and i have to go past you on the way home... so maybe depending on how long class goes that night... :nilly:

I only have open sight 22 rifles

#3 ·
faydee said:
I have school that night but it is at UVU and i have to go past you on the way home... so maybe depending on how long class goes that night... :nilly:

I only have open sight 22 rifles
If class goes long and you can't make it in time to do some shooting, maybe swing by and watch a little - no cost for watching. We have to stop shooting at 10pm because of noise ordinances but maybe we could do a discount entry fee if you can't make it until late and only get an hour or so of shooting.

Hope you can make it.

#5 ·
I just wanted to post a thanks to Brandon for scheduling and organizing these shoots - I think they are perfect! On Tuesday night we shot for about 3 hours and had a lot of fun. We played poker for about two hours, tired several different versions of the game, and I think we finally came up with a pretty good format for it. Then we shot a couple rounds of "bowling pins."

Great guys, great fun. I hope to see a lot more of these fun, cheap, and easy shoots in the near future. I think it would be a lot of fun if we got it running every other week, or some other regular schedule.

Thanks again!

#7 ·
my class ran really late that night i soooooooooo wanted to come though... next time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.