Utah Guns Forum banner

St. George August 8th OC/CC event at City Park

8K views 12 replies 4 participants last post by  RustyShackleford 
#1 ·
Ok, In the spirit of...You suggest it, you plan it....Would you and or any others like to join us on August 8 (9:00am till it gets too hot) for an OC/CC little meet and great pot luck brunch at Town Square Park 50 South Main St. in St. George? Just an informal get together of like minded armed Americans. We are doing this to bring attention to the unlawful St. George City ordinance that outlaws firearms at city parks and trails. (in violation of Utah State Law)
If you can't make it, please pass the information along to your Southern UT friends to join us.

#5 ·
Word is getting out here in S. Utah. Not sure how many to expect but I'm sure it will be well attended. I do have some sources with local news and information sources, that I think will be helpful in getting the word out.
I'm planning on finding out if a permit is needed. From what I can tell it probably is not, at least not a fee involved unless we were to reserve a pavilion for a special time. But enquiring about a permit, and letting them know what we are planning is actually part of the process for putting them on notice and getting the ordinance changed. It just might get interesting telling them we plan to be there Carrying in direct violation of their ordinance.

#8 ·
Yes! Now I'm just wondering if we should take it to the Neighboring city of Washington...since St. George changed their ordinance a few days ago. Both Washington and Hurricane ordinances are out of compliance it looks like.
Doing some checking it looks like Ivins changed theirs to comply a year or so ago. Someone had comented on FB that Santa Clara had changed theirs a couple of months ago but a check of the city code shows no change...still prohibits possession of firearms in parks.

What do you think? Should we change the location to a Washington City Park?

#12 ·
Was contacted by a reporter from St. George News today and will be speaking with her tomorrow. Not sure if it matters where we hold the pot-luck. Other cities should get the message and I will be mentioning to the reporter that we noticed Washington and Hurricane (for example) also have an ordinance/park rule, that is out of compliance with State Law/Code. So I guess they will get the message either way. Just give me your feedback if you think we should change it to Washington. If you think we should, I can tell the reported that also.

I'm thinking it a good idea to make some suggestions to those that do plan to OC, First that it is not a general 2A 'demonstration' (probably not the best word), but to point out the ordinances were more a denial/infringement of person protection while at the parks and trails. So long guns probably are not the best choice in that venue. If it were just going to members of the UCC forum I would not worry about it too much, but with as much misinformation, even among CFP holders have makes me a little nervous. I just want this to be a respectful, friendly pot-luck, not a gun show.

You would be surprised how many CFP holders down here think they have to conceal if they now have a permit (I'll bet 50% have been taught this in class!)...other things I see and here from CFP holders make me wonder what the crap the instructors down here are teaching. (mostly opinion I guess)

I hope this will be a good learning event more than anything else.

#13 ·
As Updated on Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/events/1608252482767920/

Just an update and confirmation that the Pot-Luck in the Park is still on at Town Square City Park, 50 S. Main, St. George Utah, Saturday, August 8th., Starting at about 9:00am till ---it gets to stinking hot...(Noon, I'm guessing).

This is a chance for many of us to just meet others. No, it is Not a Gun Show, We are not telling anyone what or how to carry...or even to carry at all. I'm sure it goes without saying, safety and respect of others is what this is all about. So bring your family, food to share (utensils also) and have fun.

There are a few from other parts of the state that are attending also, many are very knowledgeable about US and Utah Firearm laws. Come and learn. Just as range time is important, keeping up on firearm laws is very important as well. Even if you have a Concealed Carry Permit (Utah CFP). I'll bet you will learn something.

Also: We commend St. George City, the City Council and Mayor of our fine city for changing the ordinance (July 30, 2015) to reflect the spirit of the State of Utah, in keeping Firearms Laws consistent within the state, in that municipalities and other government entities can only pass law dealing with firearms when the State Legislature gives them authority to do so. (Basically, those laws or ordinances, can only deal with the discharge of firearms within the city limits.

St. George has been very responsive in correcting the ordinance of prohibition of firearms at city parks and trails. We live in a very great place here in Utah's Dixie and are represented well (in my opinion).

There are still other cities within Washington County that need to amend their ordinances also, Washington City and Hurricane for example...I'm sure they are following what St. George has done and will be following their example.

Hope to see you Saturday!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.