Utah Guns Forum banner

AZ State Trooper Saved by Armed Citizen

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Karl 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Well done to the armed citizen. Sounds like he did exactly the right things in a rapidly escalating situation. Glad the office's okay thanks to this person's quick thinking and engagement.

It'll be interesting to see how the pro-control folks spin this regarding a "gun-wielding civilian".

#4 ·
Pure spectulation/observation here but here goes----

Officer is responding to a "shots fired" call and comes across a roll over crash where the driver? is ejected and then the officer is fired upon by an assailant----- I am willing to gamble a dozen donuts on the premise that the guy who shot and wounded the officer MAY have been involved in causing the roll over crash! JUST SAYING, and the media hasn't YET per the reports I've seen.

Very MUCH GOOD ON THE passerby--- but why did he have to go back to his car to retrieve the much needed self defense tool? As far as I know he'd have been legal to OC it with him upon first leaving his car.

#5 ·
JoeSparky said:
... but why did he have to go back to his car to retrieve the much needed self defense tool?...
Regardless of a good outcome, that was my first thought.

While the way I carry allows me to access my firearm regardless of position, we know there are some folks who, because of their carry method, cannot and so they either store it in a car holster or somewhere else within the vehicle while driving. While I'm not a fan of speculation in lieu of facts, I could see this as one of a few plausible reasons. I'm looking forward to reading the facts once they emerge as to the circumstances.

#6 ·
I have resisted commenting since we know so little about the details of exactly what happened.

This story is getting national attention since it is a case where a good guy with a gun stopped a bad guy with a gun.

"Do you need help officer?" is a classic line from the Armed Citizen section of the NRA monthly publication. I used to get it.

A hostage rescue shot like this one where two people are fighting is a very difficult and tricky shot. We practiced these in some of the tactical pistol classes I have taken.

I'm sure we will hear more from the hero on TV eventually.

About the only time my pistol is not with me is when I walk to the post office.

If I am going to a business meeting it will be with me but in a computer bag by my side. Sometimes I have the computer and sometimes not. But if I am not carrying on my person I always have the pistol with me in the computer bag.

The nice thing about reciprocity with a Utah CFP is that it is good in Wash State, Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Nevada, Arizona, etc. Just not in Oregon, California, or New Mexico. So when travelling to any of these reciprocity states, I would always have it on my person and concealed.

In addition to which, Arizona is a constitutional carry state and anyone can carry there openly or concealed, loaded or unloaded. Possibly our hero was travelling from California or New Mexico and had to unload and lock up his firearm in those states and had not yet unlocked it. I'm sure we'll hear more about this on TV soon.

Or maybe he was carrying the firearm in some kind of computer bag too. Or maybe it was in his jacket in the car and he had forgotten he did not have it at the moment.

Either way he had to go back and get it. That does strike me as odd.

#8 ·
D-FIN said:
Karl said:
In addition to which, Arizona is a constitutional carry state and anyone can carry there openly or concealed
So is Idaho. Hopefully we will be here soon as well.
Well to stay on point, AZ is constitutional carry so the good Samaritan could have had his firearm on his person without any need for further Arizona or reciprocating state CFP.

So I am surprise that seeing the altercation between the LEO and the perp that the good Samaritan did not already have his firearm with him.

Has nothing to do with Idaho. This did not happen in Idaho.

#9 ·
Karl said:
D-FIN said:
Karl said:
In addition to which, Arizona is a constitutional carry state and anyone can carry there openly or concealed
So is Idaho. Hopefully we will be here soon as well.
Well to stay on point, AZ is constitutional carry so the good Samaritan could have had his firearm on his person without any need for further Arizona or reciprocating state CFP.

So I am surprise that seeing the altercation between the LEO and the perp that the good Samaritan did not already have his firearm with him.

Has nothing to do with Idaho. This did not happen in Idaho.
I know it has nothing to do with Idaho it was a jab at your view on the Utah Constitutional Carry Bill.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.