Passers-by save 3 kids from Logan River

Guns are often featured in the news media. Here you can post links to such news items and discuss them.

Passers-by save 3 kids from Logan River

Postby bltdonahue » Mon 02 Jan 2012 8:07 am

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-573 ... ?tag=stack

(AP)

SALT LAKE CITY - Former police officer Chris Willden didn't hesitate when he realized children were trapped in an upside down car in an icy Utah river. He pulled his handgun, pushed it up against the submerged windows and shot out the glass.

Then he reached inside.

"I was trying to grab arms, but I couldn't feel anything," Willden said. "I'm thinking ... what are we going to do?"'

But he turned to see up to eight other passers-by had scrambled down the embankment to help after coming upon the accident along U.S. 89 in Logan Canyon on Saturday afternoon.

Willden, eh? Isn't he one of us? :raisedbrow:

And getting into a car is no joke. I bought the whole family emergency rescue tools for cutting seat-belts and breaking into/out of side windows on cars after I was in a similar situation in Texas last month trying to break into a lady's car after she managed to nearly t-bone me and launch herself into a forest off a 30ft embankment. Craziness.

Anyhow, good work. I wouldn't want to use a handgun to break into a car in an emergency unless there was no choice (which seems to be the case here). Obviously there is a conscientious way to aim a pistol such that the bullet will only break glass and not threaten those inside...but there are also some great assisted opening knives with glass-breaker tips on the hilt. This is the one I got for folks for Christmas (photos do a lousy job of showing the glass-breaker).

http://www.bladeops.com/Smith-Wesson-Mi ... wmp3bs.htm

Anyhow, great work!
The world would be much better off if stupidity caused infertility.
bltdonahue
Sniper

Re: Passers-by save 3 kids from Logan River

Postby moyler » Mon 02 Jan 2012 9:21 am

bltdonahue wrote:http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57350853/passers-by-save-3-kids-from-icy-river-drowning/?tag=stack

(AP)

SALT LAKE CITY - Former police officer Chris Willden didn't hesitate when he realized children were trapped in an upside down car in an icy Utah river. He pulled his handgun, pushed it up against the submerged windows and shot out the glass.

Then he reached inside.

"I was trying to grab arms, but I couldn't feel anything," Willden said. "I'm thinking ... what are we going to do?"'

But he turned to see up to eight other passers-by had scrambled down the embankment to help after coming upon the accident along U.S. 89 in Logan Canyon on Saturday afternoon.

Yes, this was Chris Willden with Strategic Tactical. He would probably be the first to say that there were others that showed up to help, and he may not have been able to do it without them.

Chris probably would not say, so I will say it for him, that the right person showed up first, and had the skill, mindset, the right tools, and did what needed to be done to start the rescue. Well done, Brother!

As a note, while enjoying a normal drrive through the canyon, Chris just happened to have his EDC pistol, and his EDC knife on his person. Had he not had immediate, ready access to these items, this may have changed the outcome for the worse.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -Thomas Jefferson

http://www.realworldpds.com/
Suarez International Staff Instructor
www.suarezinternational.com
Utah Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor
NRA Pistol, PPIH Instructor, RSO
moyler
Sniper

Postby Gunlvr » Mon 02 Jan 2012 9:26 am

Good job to him for thinking outside the box.

I once had to break into a van after the driver went into a diabetic episode and sideswiped three cars. I was in a UHaul and had to throw the furnature dolly (low wooden carpet covered thing) at the rear window twice to break the glass so that I could unlock the front door and shut the engine off. a passerby had soft icecream. a spoonful had the person comming around.
This is not a spelling or grammar contest. Get over it!
Gunlvr
Expert Marksman

Postby Cinhil » Mon 02 Jan 2012 10:20 am

bltdonahue wrote:http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57350853/passers-by-save-3-kids-from-icy-river-drowning/?tag=stack

(AP)

Then he reached inside.

And getting into a car is no joke. I bought the whole family emergency rescue tools for cutting seat-belts and breaking into/out of side windows on cars after I was in a similar situation in Texas last month trying to break into a lady's car after she managed to nearly t-bone me and launch herself into a forest off a 30ft embankment. Craziness.

Anyhow, good work. I wouldn't want to use a handgun to break into a car in an emergency unless there was no choice (which seems to be the case here). Obviously there is a conscientious way to aim a pistol such that the bullet will only break glass and not threaten those inside...but there are also some great assisted opening knives with glass-breaker tips on the hilt. This is the one I got for folks for Christmas (photos do a lousy job of showing the glass-breaker).

http://www.bladeops.com/Smith-Wesson-Mi ... wmp3bs.htm

Anyhow, great work!

That would be a Smith and Wesson MP3 knife, very nice knife to have around.
Congratulations to Willden for his heroics. I am sure he would consider it nothing but it saved the lives of several people and that cannot be forgotten. Quick thinking and proper use of what ever tool is at hand is a lifesaver. I am sure he had people back away sufficiently so no one would be hurt by the blast. His quick thinking and actions ought to be commended for his respect for life and desire to help those in need!

Thank you from me and this community as your actions show the type of individuals we represent! :thumbsup:
What part of "Shall not be infringed" is not being abused today!

Even Knights had "Modern" weapons!

'Sed quis custodiet ipsos cutodes' ("Who watches the watchmen?”)."
Cinhil
Sniper

Postby faydee » Mon 02 Jan 2012 10:53 am

sounds like a hero to me... even though i am sure he will tell us all no he is not...
Using the lessons I've gleaned from Zombie movies, I would recommend you have at least one round of ammunition per person currently living within a 30 mile radius of your location...

III%
faydee
Sharp Shooter

Heres my article for Guns in the News!

Postby Strategic Tactical » Mon 02 Jan 2012 12:27 pm

See the link below. If you have questions, please direct them through the Strategic Tactical Group Facebook page or email them to me at chris@strategictacticalgroup.com as we are fielding a lot of press and interviewing. Thanks and be safe.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/artic ... ver_crash/
Chris
Director of Training
Strategic Tactical Group LLC
Certified instructor for Utah CFP, Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, ASP and Camlock Baton, MACE
Glock, AR-15 and Mossberg Armorer
http://www.strategictacticalgroup.com
http://www.stginvestigations.com
Strategic Tactical
Sniper

Re: Heres my article for Guns in the News!

Postby Cinhil » Mon 02 Jan 2012 12:56 pm

Thank you for taking the time to share this. I wonder if this and This; viewtopic.php?f=23&t=13462 link should not be joined by a moderator.
There was plenty of information here to give even greater insight into the heroic efforts to save these lives for which I am sure these people will be forever grateful.
What part of "Shall not be infringed" is not being abused today!

Even Knights had "Modern" weapons!

'Sed quis custodiet ipsos cutodes' ("Who watches the watchmen?”)."
Cinhil
Sniper

Postby Car Knocker » Mon 02 Jan 2012 1:13 pm

Threads merged.
Don

-->insert witty and/or inspirational message here<--
Car Knocker
Posse

Postby My Trigger Guard » Mon 02 Jan 2012 5:18 pm

Ya I saw the other post on this, OUTSTANDING.
NRA Certified Instructor & Range Safety Officer
BCI Utah Concealed Firearms Instructor

Http://MyTriggerguard.Com/
Error of opinion may be tolerated where reason is left free to combat it.
Banjamin Franklin
My Trigger Guard
Sharp Shooter

Postby Paul » Tue 03 Jan 2012 7:49 am

Great interview this morning on The Today Show
http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/45853756/ ... ver-crash/
Great job Chris.
-Paul
http://www.myfavoritegunstore.com
http://www.cachevalleycountertops.com
NRA Life Member
Utah CFP Instructor
Utah Hunters Education Instructor
NRA Rifle and Pistol Instructor and RSO
Front Sight Ambassador (ask me about memberships)
Paul
Forum Owner

Postby Snurd » Tue 03 Jan 2012 8:26 am

That's awesome! Great job. :thumbsup:
Image SW1911 / Slipstream Permanent Treatment
Slipstream - Just what the Gundoctor ordered.
NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun Instructor, NRA RSO
Contact me for SIRT Training Pistols
Snurd
Top Shot

Postby sigmanluke » Tue 03 Jan 2012 9:02 am

The right people, in the right place, at the right time. This is the best imaginable outcome. To all those involved, well done.
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson
sigmanluke
Marksman

Postby divegeek » Tue 03 Jan 2012 11:52 am

sigmanluke wrote:The right people, in the right place, at the right time. This is the best imaginable outcome. To all those involved, well done.

And with the right tools. I'm not saying that it wouldn't have been possible without the gun and the knife, but at the least it would have cost extra time and that could have been tragic.

This story is awesome in too many ways to count.

Great job, cousin! I really need to meet you some time...
Four boxes protect our liberty: soap, ballot, jury and ammo. Use in that order.

Utah CFP Instructor; NRA Certified Instructor for Pistol, Rifle and Self-Defense in the Home; NRA RSO.

I am not a lawyer!
divegeek
Top Shot

Postby The Armed Female » Tue 10 Jan 2012 4:49 pm

I rarely watch TV anymore let alone "Ellen" but I happened to catch the beginning today and it flashed at the bottom that they would have the people from this story on later. Hook...and...reeled me in! I am glad it did. They interviewed the dad and kids first and then brought out about 10 of the rescuers. Ellen was gracious even when Chris said he used his gun, she didn't seem to have a problem with it. :thumbsup: Way to go!
“Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason.”
― Mark Twain

For ladies training information visit us at www.thearmedfemale.com
The Armed Female
Posse

Postby Rupper » Tue 10 Jan 2012 5:02 pm

TriciaDodge wrote:I rarely watch TV anymore let alone "Ellen" but I happened to catch the beginning today and it flashed at the bottom that they would have the people from this story on later. Hook...and...reeled me in! I am glad it did. They interviewed the dad and kids first and then brought out about 10 of the rescuers. Ellen was gracious even when Chris said he used his gun, she didn't seem to have a problem with it. :thumbsup: Way to go!

I don't watch Ellen either, but my wife showed me this. Good stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBr99XdfjnY
Rupper
Marksman

Next

Return to Guns in the News