More news on Operation 'fast and furious'.

Guns are often featured in the news media. Here you can post links to such news items and discuss them.

More news on Operation 'fast and furious'.

Postby JerL » Sat 21 Apr 2012 9:38 pm

The Obama admistration wanted to use this as an excuse to crack down on the 2nd amendment. Why is no one prosecuting this? Are they all guilty too?

In Operation Fast and Furious, federal agents allowed more than 2,000 weapons to be smuggled across the U.S.-Mexican border and into the hand of violent drug cartels, with the intent of tracking them to learn more about the cartels.

Two weapons connected to Fast and Furious were discovered at the murder scene of U.S. Border Patrol agent Brian Terry, who was gunned down in the Southern Arizona desert in 2010 by five criminals armed with AK-47s.

However, Pavlich asserts there was a third gun. The book details three separate pieces of evidence that point to a third weapon being recovered and then covered up by the FBI and the Justice Department.

Third smoking Gun in fast and furious.
JerL
Novice

Re: More news on Operation 'fast and furious'.

Postby Car Knocker » Sun 22 Apr 2012 8:09 am

JerL wrote:Why is no one prosecuting this?

Who should be prosecuting who and for exactly what crimes?
Don

-->insert witty and/or inspirational message here<--
Car Knocker
Posse

Postby JerL » Sun 22 Apr 2012 10:24 am

Congress should be investigating why the ATF decided that setting up straw purchasers in order to ship thousands of guns across the border into Mexico to the drug cartels. This exasperated the situation which resulted in the deaths of thousands of Mexicans, and at least one Border Patrol agent. The death of the Border Patrol agent can be directly linked to the guns that were sold into Mexico illegally by U.S. agents. Attorney General Eric Holder completely purged himself when Congress first started looking into this. He denied having any prior knowledge of Operation "Fast and Furious". Later memos came out implicating him along with the Administration, showing that they planned on using this to crack down on gun sales in the U.S.

I would recommend doing a search on "Fast and Furious" if you are interested in more information.
JerL
Novice

Postby Car Knocker » Sun 22 Apr 2012 11:03 am

Congress should be investigating why the ATF decided that setting up straw purchasers in order to ship thousands of guns across the border into Mexico to the drug cartels.

There is a Congressional committee investigating Fast & Furious and getting stonewalled by DoJ.

The death of the Border Patrol agent can be directly linked to the guns that were sold into Mexico illegally by U.S. agents.

I wasn't aware that ATF agents actually sold guns themselves in Fast & Furious; I thought their role was pretty much limited to encouraging FFLs to allow straw purchases. Got a link?

To get back to my first post: You used the term "prosecuted" in the OP. What agency will do the prosecuting? What agency will determine what, if any charges, will be laid? What agency do those who might be prosecuted work for?
Don

-->insert witty and/or inspirational message here<--
Car Knocker
Posse

Postby JerL » Sun 22 Apr 2012 3:35 pm

There is a Congressional committee investigating Fast & Furious and getting stonewalled by DoJ.

I was under the impression that that investigation was at a dead end, or an impasse, or lacking the fortitude to carry on.

I wasn't aware that ATF agents actually sold guns themselves in Fast & Furious; I thought their role was pretty much limited to encouraging FFLs to allow straw purchases. Got a link?

I meant agents in the sense of acting on behalf of another. Your right I don't believe the ATF actually sold the guns. Gun store owners were ordered to sell the guns to individuals that under normal conditions would not have been able to under federal law.
However ATF informants were used to finance the purchases of the guns. The FBI estimates $250,000 worth of guns by the Informants. more

To get back to my first post: You used the term "prosecuted" in the OP. What agency will do the prosecuting? What agency will determine what, if any charges, will be laid? What agency do those who might be prosecuted work for?

I don't have an answer for you on that.
JerL
Novice

Return to Guns in the News