Utah Guns Forum banner

Quote attributed to Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau

6K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  gravedancer 
#1 ·
I received an email today that attributed this quote to Justin Trudeau, but I can't find any evidence of him having said it, anywhere that I've looked online.

I have nothing in common with gun owners. We will never see eye to eye and I admit, I don't know anything about the gun laws, but I know we need more laws to keep the public safe from criminals and if that means taking the guns away from law abiding citizens then that's what needs to be done in the interest of public safety. I have faith that criminals will do the right thing and turn in their weapons when Canadians are disarmed as guns are not needed in Canada. Hunters can start getting their meat at grocery stores.

#3 ·
dewittdj said:
I received an email today that attributed this quote to Justin Trudeau, but I can't find any evidence of him having said it, anywhere that I've looked online.

I have faith that criminals will do the right thing and turn in their weapons when Canadians are disarmed as guns are not needed in Canada. Hunters can start getting their meat at grocery stores.
And leprechauns will provide buckets of gold to parliament so they don't have to raise taxes. And every Canadian will have their own fairy godmother watching over them so they'll be able to disband the Royal Canadian Mounted Police.

Mel

#5 ·
RustyShackleford said:
So Canadians also Vote for the stupid people.
I would say so! What a Moron! Sounds like he has never been mugged, attacked or had his life threatened and lives in a palace made of glass. I doubt any criminal would ever respond to laws as he thinks as he sit on his clay throne.

#6 ·
Before everybody breaks out the pitchforks, I think someone should find a place where this is legitimately attributed to Mr. Trudeau.

#7 ·
UtahJarhead said:
Before everybody breaks out the pitchforks, I think someone should find a place where this is legitimately attributed to Mr. Trudeau.
^^this^^

It's like the quote attributed to Nancy Pelosi that's going around where she says something very similar. I'd be really surprised if it is real. The one attributed to Pelosi isn't.

#8 ·
Quick Googling found article in Canadian HuffPro back in 2012 complaining about Trudeau's position on long gun registry. Part of that story says
Trudeau also received some pushback for stating over the weekend that gun ownership is a key part of Canada's culture
http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/12/03 ... 32827.html

Other stuff:
https://www.liberal.ca/lpc-opposes-cpc-gun-bill/ "We will not bring back a gun registry, but we do need smart and well-crafted gun control legislation."

The closest I've been able to find to the OP assertion that is from Trudeau is
I voted to keep the firearms registry a few months ago and if we had a vote tomorrow I would vote once again to keep the long-gun registry.
http://www.ammoland.com/2015/08/canadas ... -registry/

I've spent all the time I care to looking at Canadian gun laws and politicians today. ;)

#10 ·
I still think my reply was valid if he's a gun control advocate, whether he said those exact words or not. I guess I should get used to the attitudes up there though, because if Hillary wins, I've got to go somewhere.

Mel

#11 ·
RustyShackleford said:
So Canadians also Vote for the stupid people.
Well technically, they didnt vote for him. But they voted for enough other people from his party that they got the majority. Whichever party has a majority in parliament/congress/whatever gets to appoint their guy as PM, apparently. At least thats what I gathered from listening to my fiance (whos canadian) talk about election coverage there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.