Utah Guns Forum banner

Archery

5K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Cinhil 
#1 ·
My wife talks fondly of shooting archery as a child, so I was thinking about getting her a bow for her birthday (Jan 1st.) :newyears:

It seems like the right choice for her would be a recurve bow as opposed to a compound bow.
I believe this is the case because:
You can you use your fingers to draw and fire with a re-curve. Apparently with a compound bow you need some sort of device to do this?
She won't be hunting with it, so power and speed, and the ability to hold the bow at full draw for minutes at a time like in hunting are not necessary and those are the benefits of a compound bow.
A recurve bow will make her a better archer. After she masters that art, she could move up to a compound bow to do some sweet stuff and shoot easier.

This is the gist of what I have come to purely from my reading. Does it sound right to someone who knows something about archery?

Secondly, does anyone have an simple, inexpensive(safe) used bow they would be interested in selling?

#2 ·
You dont have to use a bow release on a compound bow. Many do use one for consistency.

A compound will be more compact than a recurve with the same draw length.

A recurve may be lighter than a compound.

You can adjust the draw weight on some compound bows. I don't think you can with the recurve.

Gadets for compounds are sold everywhere! Picture a tacti-cool bow! :mrgreen:

I'm not promoting one over the other. I think it has more to do with personal preference than anything else.

#3 ·
What a thoughtful gift idea, I think she will be totally enamored with you for this! Unfortunately I haven't a bow to sell you.

I have many fond memories of bow shooting for sport over the years. I worked very hard to earn every archery award provided by the BSA while I was young and had a grand time with it. As an adult I once joined a league and had some wonderful experiences there. It is a great opportunity to hone a great skill and receive numerous health benefits, including strength and stamina. My bow of choice was always a Re curve, especially the one my dad made from scratch of Brazilian Rosewood and Ash.

I think your wife will be very excited with this gift. :dancing:

#4 ·
Zacharia said:
You can you use your fingers to draw and fire with a re-curve. Apparently with a compound bow you need some sort of device to do this?
No, you don't need a device to draw a compound bow. Many shooters us a mechanical release, but it's not because fingers don't work, it's because the mechanical release gives you a cleaner, smoother and more consistent release, with no "rolling" of the string off the fingers. This is nothing to do with compound vs recurve, it's the same issue on either and it's about maximizing consistency to maximize accuracy. Oh, and about not getting sore fingers if you don't shoot often.

Zacharia said:
She won't be hunting with it, so power and speed, and the ability to hold the bow at full draw for minutes at a time like in hunting are not necessary and those are the benefits of a compound bow.
The benefit of the letoff of a compound isn't just the ability to hold at full draw for a long time. A compound accelerates the arrow more smoothly, producing less arrow flex and therefore a more consistent trajectory. It also helps to improve accuracy by giving archers a tendency to aim more carefully. If you're drawing a recurve that is close to the limit of your strength, you tend to draw and release very quickly With a compound you can "settle" into the shot. Most compounds also allow some adjustment of the draw weight, which you don't really get with a recurve.

Zacharia said:
A recurve bow will make her a better archer.
I don't see how it would.

The only real advantage to using a recurve is that they're less expensive. If she's just shooting for fun, not into competitive shooting, or hunting or anything like that, then a recurve is sufficient, and the advantages of a compound probably don't matter. That doesn't mean they aren't there, just that they don't matter.

#5 ·
divegeek said:
Zacharia said:
A recurve bow will make her a better archer.
I don't see how it would.

The only real advantage to using a recurve is that they're less expensive. If she's just shooting for fun, not into competitive shooting, or hunting or anything like that, then a recurve is sufficient, and the advantages of a compound probably don't matter. That doesn't mean they aren't there, just that they don't matter.
That is just what I gathered from browsing over archery talk on the internet. They say if you can learn to shoot a recurve, and shoot it well, then you should be able to pick up almost any compound bow and shoot it no problem. Not so much the other way around. As it turns out I am going to get her a recurve for another reason.
I just found out yesterday that by brother in law lost his job. So I am going to buy his old bow he never uses from him to help him out a bit.
If she gets proficient with that and enjoys it as much as I think she will; we will look into getting her a nice compound bow. That would be really neat to see her start getting into competitions and stuff. She could walk around town like Nicolas Cage in The Weatherman.

#6 ·
That's awesome she wants a bow! I don't want to discourage you from getting her a recurve, but I have shot and hunted with both. Unless she wants to put ALOT of time into becoming a great shot, get her a compound bow. A good compound bow with good sights will allow her to become a good shot much quicker than trying to master a recurve. Recurves take alot more patience and practice to really become a consistently good shot. If she wants to put in the time and dedication to a recurve, then I'm sure she will like it. Just make sure she doesn't get discouraged at first when her shots might seem to be all over the place. Let us know how she likes it!

#7 ·
There are plenty of stabilizers, optics and other aids for re-curves, just as there are for compounds. You gain greater strength, muscle memory, endurance and ability when using a re-curve. I've shot both and still prefer the re-curve. There is something I personally like about the ease of use, the quickness of shot and no excess frill getting in the way when loading. Whatever the choice I am sure she'll be pleased!

#8 ·
Cinhil said:
You gain greater strength, muscle memory, endurance and ability when using a recurve.
I agree with strength and endurance. I disagree with muscle memory and ability.

#9 ·
What works well between my missus and I with gifts like this is to tell them to make their choice.... AS I AM LOUSY AT PICKING SEWING MACHINES AND SHE DON"T DO SO WELL WITH PICKING A FIREARM FOR ME! So, we have this arrangement.. I won't pick out her sewing stuff (and I don't ask the cost or for a justification) and I tell her Specifically what I would desire in the firearms realm!

#10 ·
divegeek said:
Cinhil said:
You gain greater strength, muscle memory, endurance and ability when using a recurve.
I found that when I was on the league that the precision required and the amount of shots performed each meeting did provide a reasonable amount of muscle memory. The accuracy level went up, the ability to perform quickly and with a modicum of aiming based on the distance used did hold some memory for the muscles. I found it similar to the muscle memory one has when firing a pistol often, or when practicing or performing any task/sport or event which requires quickness of action and less thought concerning all the precision moves to make the shot. It was more like being able to do things by rote, so to speak. But I can see where one might not normally associate this with bowman-ship however, I still feel it a reasonable ability depending upon ones amount of practice.

#11 ·
Cinhil said:
divegeek said:
Cinhil said:
I found that when I was on the league that the precision required and the amount of shots performed each meeting did provide a reasonable amount of muscle memory.
Certainly. What I disagree with is the claim that you do NOT acquire muscle memory and ability when you shoot with a compound. Any kind of consistent, repeated practice will build muscle memory, and as long as you're not training bad habits, will improve ability as well.

#12 ·
I cannot disagree with your logic, divegeek, as I have had insufficient experience with compounds to formulate a opinion concerning them and muscle memory. I am of the opinion that you could, but have never had enough range time to provide me with sufficient evidence either way, but I do suppose it is also possible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.