Utah Guns Forum banner

Man charged for concealed knife

5K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  Cheyenne20 
#1 ·
This is the first I've heard of someone in Utah being charged with unlawfully concealing a weapon for having a knife. The article focuses on his arrest for operating as a private investigator without a license, but also says that he "was in possession of a large foldout knife that was concealed," and was charged with a concealed weapon violation.

Full text from KSL here

#2 ·
It's called loading up the charges. This gives a lazy prosecutor the opportunity to plea bargain...drop the weapon charge for a plea of guilty of playing Rockford without a license. the prosecutor earns the same pay and gets a feather in his cap.

#3 ·
That Captain Midnight guy is a unique individual. He saw a friend and I open carrying and offered us a job. His card said that he was a pilot, mercenary, and a photographer among other things. :roll:

The knife charge is an odd one but aren't there limits to the size of knife you can carry in Utah?

#4 ·
MarshallDodge said:
That Captain Midnight guy is a unique individual. He saw a friend and I open carrying and offered us a job. His card said that he was a pilot, mercenary, and a photographer among other things. :roll:

The knife charge is an odd one but aren't there limits to the size of knife you can carry in Utah?
I remember that story about his business card. That was a hoot.

I wonder why trying to be a PI is such a big deal without a license (class a misdemeanor)

#5 ·
jaredbelch said:
MarshallDodge said:

I remember that story about his business card. That was a hoot.

I wonder why trying to be a PI is such a big deal without a license (class a misdemeanor)
It is a big deal because he didn't go through all the same garbage as everyone else and Pay the city/state the requisite fees they extort for "letting" you have a business. The classes also give them an idea that you are aware of the law concerning this type of operation. Mostly though, it is because they didn't get a fee, so now he'll pay that and more.

#6 ·
Cinhil said:
It is a big deal because he didn't go through all the same garbage as everyone else and Pay the city/state the requisite fees they extort for "letting" you have a business.
It's far more than "buying" permission. The PI industry is highly regulated here for good reason. There are tons of safeguards in place to protect the client from unscrupulous investigators and the like. Investigators have to learn all of them, do an apprenticeship, and have a touch of OCD in keeping files.
BCI is constantly finding unlicensed persons doing business. They get plenty of opportunity to close shop before they get picked up.

#7 ·
MarshallDodge said:
I can't recall a state law governing knife sizes but I, very vaguely, recall that some cities have ordinances addressing it. For some reason Logan comes to mind?

#9 ·
hyrax said:
Cinhil said:
It is a big deal because he didn't go through all the same garbage as everyone else and Pay the city/state the requisite fees they extort for "letting" you have a business.
It's far more than "buying" permission. The PI industry is highly regulated here for good reason. There are tons of safeguards in place to protect the client from unscrupulous investigators and the like. Investigators have to learn all of them, do an apprenticeship, and have a touch of OCD in keeping files.
BCI is constantly finding unlicensed persons doing business. They get plenty of opportunity to close shop before they get picked up.
If you recall I did say; "The classes also give them an idea that you are aware of the law concerning this type of operation."
Safeguards are there, there are reasons, but it is still a large revenue source and the state is always willing to go out of their way to charge those who have not gone through the normal process. Again, there are classes and tests to ensure knowledge of law and familiarity with Utah statutes. Many other reasons are there for regulation. Some protects the PI, some protects the state, some protects whomever they are working for or gathering info on. But money is the motivator for the state.

#10 ·
Cinhil said:
But money is the motivator for the state.
I will have to agree with you 100%. I'm in construction (insulation) and I have to be licensed. The Division of Contractors will not go after anyone unless the the problem that an "idiot contractor" is accused of is over $10,000 or someone dies. we very seldom do a job over 2-3K.

Licenses are a paper trail to make sure you are paying all the other taxes, it very seldom assures that the person doing the business knows anything about what they are licensed for. When I took my licensing exam back in the mid 80s, 1/2 of the test was to see if you knew where, how and to which agency you needed to send your employment and other taxed to. The other half of the test was 40 years out of date and had very little to do with real world insulation practices. I have heard that the test has not changed.

#11 ·
Wolfman said:
schmack said:
This is the first I've heard of someone in Utah being charged with unlawfully concealing a weapon for having a knife. The article focuses on his arrest for operating as a private investigator without a license, but also says that he "was in possession of a large foldout knife that was concealed," and was charged with a concealed weapon violation.

Full text from KSL here
Not uncommon, just doesn't make headlines. A few of my "acquaintances" in high school were charged with it, it happens pretty commonly.
:agree:

It sounds like he didn't have a conceal permit. There are no laws regarding knife size, however, it still could be articulated as a dangerous weapon regardless of size.

RustyShackleford said:
It's called loading up the charges. This gives a lazy prosecutor the opportunity to plea bargain...drop the weapon charge for a plea of guilty of playing Rockford without a license. the prosecutor earns the same pay and gets a feather in his cap.
Often, this is very true. Or this is sometimes used as a way to arrest someone of you don't have any other reason.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.