Utah Guns Forum banner

TSA now allows 2.36 in knives

5K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  Gunlvr 
#1 ·
But not 2.38, that'd be a threat to national security. No box cutters, even thought they are short, and no "molded handle" knives. Golf clubs, ski poles, and small baseball bats are now OK.
From fox.
http://www.foxnews.mobi/quickPage.html? ... roteus.fma

TSA allows knives on planes, flight attendants union calls decision 'dangerous'Mar 05, 2013 2:07 PM ESTThe Transportation Security Administration announced Tuesday that U.S. airline passengers will soon be allowed to carry small knives in their carry-on bags, a move that prompted swift condemnation from a flight attendants union. The union for Southwest Airlines flight attendants called the decision "dangerous" and "designed to make the lives of TSA staff easier, but not make flights safer." The changes were made public by TSA Administrator John Pistole during an aviation conference in New York. Starting April 25, passengers going through U.S. airports can bring on board Swiss Army-type knives -- specifically, ones with blades no longer than 2.36 inches. This marks the first time such knives have been allowed on board since security was heavily increased in the aftermath of the Sept. 11, 2001, terror attacks. Pistole told the audience that TSA screeners at the Los Angeles International Airport alone seized roughly 47 such knives a day over the last three months of 2012, according to Air Transportation World. "Frankly, I don't want TSA agents to be delayed by these," he said. The agency said the changes were made as part of its "overall risk-based security approach" and to align with the international standards and those of European countries. Among the other items also allowed on board are lacrosse sticks, ski poles and small, souvenir baseball bats. But Stacy K. Martin, president of Southwest Airlines' Flight Attendants Union, TWU Local 556, said in a statement that the decision should be "immediately rescinded." "While we agree that a passenger wielding a small knife or swinging a golf club or hockey stick poses less of a threat to the pilot locked in the cockpit, these are real threats to passengers and flight attendants in the passenger cabin," she said. The union represents 10,000 flight attendants for Southwest. Under the TSA decision, however, box-cutter type knives used by the 9/11 hijackers are still prohibited. Razors as well as knives with molded grips also are still banned.

#5 ·
#7 ·
Molded, as in molded to fit your grip. I take this from the pictures provided in the USA Today to be those knives which have pre=molded grips for you fingers so that if you use it it is less likely to slip on you. It appears that the knives that will be allowed are those with limited use, or which are commonly known as tools throughout the intelligent world, ie. Victorinox and Wenger and others of a similar nature which are not able to have the blade locked in place. This is what I take from this news blurb.

#9 ·
So basically, finger nail clippers are allowed again??? ;-)

I was coming back from ORD the morning of the big liquid explosive scare the airports had.
So thankful that I couldn't sleep and flipped on the news early to see the new restrictions in place. Called up my friend to wake up and to get to the airport NOW!

Place was a disaster and huge lines everywhere! 100% inspection. Huge garbage carts everywhere, full of everything liquid imaginable. Women arguing about their expensive perfumes. People with medicines or supplements. All in the garbage or no fly. Anything even possibly weapon shaped in the trash.

I figure the airport and DHS people made a small fortune on all the stuff they collected that day.

I forgot and went thru SLC screening with a razor knife in my pocket by mistake one time, as I was used to carrying it every day.
At least I didn't get a strip search out of it.

#10 ·
After reading these news reports, I dreamt last night there was a serial killer in my neighborhood who's weapon of choice was a 60mm blade. He didn't last long when he came to my house.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.