Utah Guns Forum banner

I need a deer skinning knife

7K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  moyler 
#1 ·
I need opinions on a decent deer gutting and skinning knife. Im new to hunting and would like to spend $50 or less.

#3 ·
Last year, right about this time, I shot my first deer. I asked one of my neighbors to help me dress it out. It was my big opportunity to use the special hunting knife that I had bought many years before. I used my expensive knife, my very experienced neighbor use his POCKET KNIFE. The blade he used was smaller than my little finger and he never sharpened it. He easily did it all, from skinning to cutting the joints in the legs. My knife worked very well for skinning, but when I tried to cut the leg joints, the edge rolled. After that, I struggled with my fancy knife, even after resharpening, until he took over with his little knife.

I'll likely never use my fancy knife again.

Nick

#5 ·
I have recently got a outdoor edge swing blade to test from the North American hunting club. I haven't used it yet (didn't find any bull elk). But my buddy said there great. When I finally use it I will post a review.

What I have used in the past that are awesome is those replaceable blade razor knifes. Sportsmans has them and I think there called piranhas or something like that (I'm not talking about box knifes either). There awesome and when it gets dull you just switch the blade. They are scary sharp and the edge lasts a while.

Other things I carry to help are a small foldable saw. And one of the gut hooks that use the replaceable box knife blades. Not the ones made for them that have the extra wing erg as it defeats the purpose.

When I get home and have some time I'll post some links or pictures so you can see what I'm talking about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

#6 ·
#7 ·
If you want a decent knife, don't be afraid to pay for it. Palladium Arms has teamed up withScar Blades. If you need a blade, they probably have it and it's all top quality and looks good too. Their moto is: A Scar is for life.

#8 ·
JoeRandall said:
... What I have used in the past that are awesome is those replaceable blade razor knifes. Sportsmans has them and I think there called piranhas or something like that (I'm not talking about box knifes either). There awesome and when it gets dull you just switch the blade. They are scary sharp and the edge lasts a while.
That is a Havalon Piranta. They are basically a scalpel with a replaceable blade, and freaky sharp. They are awesome, but I've found that they aren't that great for cutting joints; however, a cheap folder will do it just fine.

I use this Buck knife, and I love it. It is right in your price range, and holds an edge pretty well. It is also light weight, easy to carry.

#11 ·
Are you skinning to keep the hide or make leather? Or just to cure and get to the meat?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

#14 · (Edited by Moderator)
My dad bought all the kids one of these Puma Bowie knives a number of years back. My brother doesn't use any other knife, as far as I'm aware, for skinning and cutting up the meat. It stays sharper longer than other knives he's used. It does take longer to sharpen, but it's a great knife. $129 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/116396-Bowie-Fixe ... wie+116396

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1381868546.403173.jpg

(Sent from iSnurd)

Attachments

#15 ·
If your just skinning to get to the meat. You can cut around each leg at the joints to take them off. Then make a cut into he middle where you already have your opening from gutting. Then just start at the top and skin a little with your knife. Once there is enough to grab just take a handful and start pulling down. Won't really need your knife.

And depends if you like to hang them from there back legs or there neck or antlers. If you hang them from there neck or antlers you'll have to cut around the neck also. If you hang them from there back legs. Just start pulling down until you get to the head. Then take it off with the hide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

#17 ·
I'm with Joe. Any old pocketknife will do if you do it right.
A bone saw is super helpful. A gut hook is nice.
I bought one of these for both the saw and gut hook:
http://www.browning.com/products/catalo ... 22&tid=926
Combined with any knife, skinning isn't a big deal. Keep a knife sharpener handy. But really skinning is more about how you start and then simply pull the hide of the animal.

#18 ·
My wife got me an ESEE 4 a couple years ago, last week was the first opportunity to give it a go. In 4 days the ESEE skinned, quartered and removed misc meat off 2 elk without a problem. The 4" is a little long so I might just have to pick up the ESEE 3".

I don't gut anything anymore I just start skinning and quartering so I can leave the nasty hide, head and most of the bones in the woods. About the only reason to have a saw is to remove the head or cut the antlers off the skull as lower legs are easy to remove with a knife and a little pressure. A saw is nice to open up the rib cage of an Elk to make getting the heart easier, on deer I can usually pop the ribs loose with my knife.

One deal I do with the gut less method is instead of fighting the guts trying to squeeze out the cut you make by the back bone to get the tenderloins I first open up the cavity once all the meat is removed to let the stomach spill out then make a big cut by the tenderloin and reach in and remove one then flip the sucker over and remove the other one. I found this to be fast, simple and I can see what I'm cutting and doing.

#19 ·
muddy said:
My wife got me an ESEE 4 a couple years ago, last week was the first opportunity to give it a go. In 4 days the ESEE skinned, quartered and removed misc meat off 2 elk without a problem. The 4" is a little long so I might just have to pick up the ESEE 3".

I don't gut anything anymore I just start skinning and quartering so I can leave the nasty hide, head and most of the bones in the woods. About the only reason to have a saw is to remove the head or cut the antlers off the skull as lower legs are easy to remove with a knife and a little pressure. A saw is nice to open up the rib cage of an Elk to make getting the heart easier, on deer I can usually pop the ribs loose with my knife.

One deal I do with the gut less method is instead of fighting the guts trying to squeeze out the cut you make by the back bone to get the tenderloins I first open up the cavity once all the meat is removed to let the stomach spill out then make a big cut by the tenderloin and reach in and remove one then flip the sucker over and remove the other one. I found this to be fast, simple and I can see what I'm cutting and doing.
ESEE makes great knives. I have a couple 3's and they are great 'do anything' blades.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.