Utah Guns Forum banner

Apex safeties for CZ Scorpion

5K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Snurd 
#1 ·
After a little snafu by the USPS, and USA TAC being amazing and sending replacement safety levers to me, I was finally able to install them.

For those who may not know, for some reason CZ created the worst safety levers ever. They do work, and there is nothing wrong with them switching on or off. The problem is with how they sit on the pistol.

If you zoom in on the photo above, you will notice that the safety lever bulges at the bottom and sits quite low. This causes your trigger finger to rub against it when you get a proper shooting grip. The recoil of the gun creates an added bonus of pain and dread.

It's quite possible that CZ never shot these as pistols, and that's why this issue is here in the U.S. Since they can have SBR's over there it may not be an issue. I've heard that once the Scorpion is SBR'd, people don't have an issue with the levers. :dunno:

Either way, whoever designed them would be good at making torture devices.

The new Apex levers sit up higher and keep away from your finger. They are MUCH better than the stock levers. I watched a video to make sure they would be installed correctly. The video was very short and made it look super easy. Maybe some are super easy to install, or should be. The levers I received were a bit tight and took some extra love to get them to go on properly and allow the set screws to go in. No big deal.

Once installed, I did a function check to make sure everything still worked as it should. It did. They are easy to switch on and off, and they are comfortable as well. They are made of aluminum instead of the plastic originals.

Here are a few pics.

Before:

After:

You can buy a safety delete, which puts a flat plate where one of the levers is. Right handed shooters would put it on the right side, getting rid of the issue. I decided to get both levers in case a lefty shoots it, or we wanted to shoot it lefty for fun, or for training.

Sent from iSnurd

See less See more
#2 ·
Thanks for posting pictures of the safety lever and the explanation of why you chose to replace them. I can better understand why now. The new ones even look more ergonomically friendlier and fit the firearm's profile better, I think. :thumbsup:

Glad to see you wearing rubber gloves to protect those hands to keep them silky smooth and soft for when handling the little one (the baby, I mean). :wink:

#3 ·
jfwright1955 said:
Thanks for posting pictures of the safety lever and the explanation of why you chose to replace them. I can better understand why now. The new ones even look more ergonomically friendlier and fit the firearm's profile better, I think. :thumbsup:

Glad to see you wearing rubber gloves to protect those hands to keep them silky smooth and soft for when handling the little one (the baby, I mean). :wink:
Maybe I should have used my aloe infused gloves....

Sent from iSnurd

#4 ·
Snurd said:
jfwright1955 said:

Maybe I should have used my aloe infused gloves....

Sent from iSnurd
:spit:

#5 ·
Such a slick solution to improve a hazardous situation that could have been better engineered to start with. What an amazing gun .... made better. I'm a big fan of CZ products, and now I want to look at all of my safeties. Thanks for sharing the issue and the solution.

#7 ·
jfwright1955 said:
The new ones even look more ergonomically friendlier and fit the firearm's profile better, I think
I agree with John-they look better, as well as looking like they'll function more efficiently. Nice choice Snurdle :thumbsup:

jfwright1955 said:
Glad to see you wearing rubber gloves
He's wearing gloves?! I thought he'd just come from his day job as one of the "Blue Men" :grinningjester:

SeriousMode=ON: It does seem unusual for CZ to make an apparently questionable engineering decision-they usually seem to make well designed kit, IMO.

Geoff.

#8 ·
I went through the process to try and get the USPS to find the original package that was lost. After two months, they finally got back to me that they can't find it. I was going to send them back to the place I bought them from since they were kind enough to send me a new set on their dime. Sucks I can't do that.

Sent from my iSnurd

Sent from my iSnurd

#9 ·
Snurd said:
I went through the process to try and get the USPS to find the original package that was lost. After two months, they finally got back to me that they can't find it. I was going to send them back to the place I bought them from since they were kind enough to send me a new set on their dime. Sucks I can't do that.

Sent from my iSnurd
Ever wonder what happens to the cargo (and why it's never mentioned) when a commercial plane or truck carrying US Mail crashes and burns?
It used to be that every commercial flight carried US mail in their cargo hold.

Do people ever get notification that items on the manifest of a carrier that had one of these crashes that their shipment was destroyed in transit?
Same question RE: UPS and FedEx and others.

#10 ·
AlanM said:
Snurd said:

Sent from my iSnurd
Ever wonder what happens to the cargo (and why it's never mentioned) when a commercial plane or truck carrying US Mail crashes and burns?
It used to be that every commercial flight carried US mail in their cargo hold.

Do people ever get notification that items on the manifest of a carrier that had one of these crashes that their shipment was destroyed in transit?
Same question RE: UPS and FedEx and others.
I doubt they get notified. I didn't. After two weeks of my package not arriving, I notified USPS. They took a while to respond. I also contacted the place I purchased the item. When they saw it never arrived, they shipped out a new item. That one made it in 2-3 days if I remember correctly.

When the USPS finally responded, they basically said that it sucks the package was lost, but that I would have to go through their lost package process. They weren't willing to do that on their own. Just over two months later, they said they can't find it.

Sent from my iSnurd

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.