shotgun for short people

This is an area to discuss general issues regarding firearms.

shotgun for short people

Postby beef84084 » Thu 07 Mar 2013 4:36 pm

so i have a buddy who is 5'4 and a normal 12g pump is to big for him, he was thinking about getting a 20g youth model and i told him not to cuz i think he can do better, either 12g semi, or 12g woman model, he finds the pump is to far out to use effective. what do you guys think are a good option for him? having a hard time tracking down a semi auto womans model 12g in the valley, he wants to spend 300-400, and i think i can help track down something that would work in his area. also have been pondering a decent 16g for him, but not 100% sure yet.
beef84084
Marksman

Re: shotgun for short people

Postby Zacharia » Thu 07 Mar 2013 4:39 pm

My Winchester 1300 is known for having a short stroke on the pump. Maybe something worth checking into.
Zacharia
Sniper

Postby quychang » Thu 07 Mar 2013 4:43 pm

One possibility is an after market adjustable stock. I have one coming for my Mossberg 12 gauge pump. The one I chose was not immediately available, with a 2-5 week shipping window. Once it arrives and I get it installed I'll be posting more about the build, but it's something to consider. So is making sure that aftermarket accessories are available for the make and model he selects. The Remington 870 pump and the Mossberg 500 pump are the two more reasonably priced shotguns, that are often modified.

Mel
The last thing I want to do is shoot anyone, but it's on the list...
quychang
Sniper

Postby Gunlvr » Thu 07 Mar 2013 5:38 pm

Zacharia wrote:My Winchester 1300 is known for having a short stroke on the pump. Maybe something worth checking into.

I have a 1300 defender. I changed the stock to a 12" LOP and the forend to a longer one. It is more compact for me now (5'9", but I like short guns) and fits the wife better (5'3")
here it is for the mossberg
http://www.amazon.com/Hogue-Mossberg-Ov ... B001TED2PG

It is short enough that how when I shoot stout loads my thumb hits my cheek,....hard.
This is not a spelling or grammar contest. Get over it!
Gunlvr
Expert Marksman

Postby sarahbn » Thu 07 Mar 2013 5:50 pm

I'm a 5'2" woman with unusually short arms. I put an adjustable, recoil-reducing stock on my Mossberg 500 and it fits me just fine now-- and also my husband (5'8" with normal arms).
Antes Morrer Livres Que Em Paz Sujeitos
sarahbn
Expert Marksman

Postby quychang » Thu 07 Mar 2013 7:29 pm

sarahbn wrote:I'm a 5'2" woman with unusually short arms. I put an adjustable, recoil-reducing stock on my Mossberg 500 and it fits me just fine now-- and also my husband (5'8" with normal arms).

Sarah, did you get the Blackhawk stock, or settle on a different one that was available locally? I'm still waiting impatiently for mine to ship.

Mel
The last thing I want to do is shoot anyone, but it's on the list...
quychang
Sniper

Postby D-FIN » Thu 07 Mar 2013 9:57 pm

What is going to use it for? Hunting or Home defense?
You can't win the sheep over to your side if your always showing them your fangs.

NRA RSO
D-FIN
Sharp Shooter

Postby sarahbn » Thu 07 Mar 2013 10:03 pm

quychang wrote:
sarahbn wrote:I'm a 5'2" woman with unusually short arms. I put an adjustable, recoil-reducing stock on my Mossberg 500 and it fits me just fine now-- and also my husband (5'8" with normal arms).

Sarah, did you get the Blackhawk stock, or settle on a different one that was available locally? I'm still waiting impatiently for mine to ship.

Mel

I got a Phoenix one. By the time I got back to order it (and wait for months), it had gone up $50 in price.
Antes Morrer Livres Que Em Paz Sujeitos
sarahbn
Expert Marksman

Return to General Firearms