Gun cleaning

This is an area to discuss general issues regarding firearms.

Gun cleaning

Postby Snurd » Fri 03 Feb 2017 7:50 pm

This is a list of things that I like to use. It may or may not be helpful to others out there, but I thought that one or two of the items listed would help others clean their guns. Most, if not all of this can be bought at local stores, Amazon, or online retailers like Brownell's, Cabela's, or wherever you like to shop.

A gun cleaning rod is always a must. You'll need one for pistols, rifles, and shotguns. There are some that can do all three, and usually a rifle rod will work fine on shotguns.

Next is the bore brushes. I like to use the bronze variety so it doesn't scratch the metal. I have one for each caliber we own. I'll put some cleaner either on the brush, down the barrel, or both, and give it a few passes all the way through as not to bend the bristles. You don't want to go halfway down the barrel, then pull the brush back out. It will jack your brush, and you'll have to replace it a lot more often.

Brass jags. Some people are aware of these, and others aren't. In most cleaning kits that you buy, they have the plastic jags. They don't seem to work as well for me as the brass jags do. These are on the right side of the picture below. These are used after the brush has gone down the barrel however many times you want. You put a patch on them, and push them down the barrel. For the first few patches, I'll use cleaner on them as well, even though I've used cleaner with the brush. It helps get more junk out of the barrel. Then I'll run a couple dry patches until it's clean. I also have these for the different calibers we have. Some require using two patches on the jag instead of just one. I'm not sure why. Our .45 jag is that way, but the others aren't. These work much better than the thing that looks like the back end of a sewing needle, that you thread a patch through it, and pull through the barrel. Those things suck compared to a jag.

Cleaning patches. I'm sure there are a number out there, but whichever you find that you like, go ahead and get those. I usually get the .45 size patches, and that works for pretty much everything we have. If I need some for .22 or .223, I just cut them into four sections, and it works perfectly. Those are shown at the bottom of the picture.

I've used plastic picks before to get hard to reach crud off of parts, but I recently found that they make brass picks. Basically they are like dental picks, but they are brass. I have a few different kinds. Most of them came in the same package, but I got an extra one for getting stuff off my Osprey suppressor. Those are near the top of the picture. I bought those on Amazon.

I have a couple needle oiler bottles that I can put whatever oil I want in to get in the hard to reach places. I think I got those at Brownell's.

I use two kinds of brushes. One is just a toothbrush for normal cleaning of most of the parts. If there is some carbon buildup that the normal brush won't get off, I use a bronze brush that looks like a toothbrush. These can be quite handy. For pistols, I tend to get a little buildup on the face of the chamber. Especially with .22 pistols. A little cleaner and some scrubbing usually takes care of it pretty quickly.

Q-tips. These are used to both clean and lubricate. The tight spaces are usually pretty easy to clean with a Q-tip. Oiling slide rails on pistols is much easier with one of these as well. Drop some oil on the end, and apply to the rails. BAM! Done.

I keep everything in a plastic box. This one is made for fishing lures, and has a bunch of compartments that make keeping things serparated easy. A lot of the compartments can be changed around so they are different sizes to fit a variety of items. I may need a bigger box, as this one is getting pretty full.

A few other things that aren't necessary, but are handy for me, are things like a screwdriver or two, Allen wrenches for the guns that require them, Glock magazine disassembly tools (red and green plastic things in the pictures), extra suppressor disassembly tools, pliers or a multi tool of some sort, oils and some different greases. That's what those little bottles are in the box. I've been testing a bunch of different oils, greases, and cleaners, and these are just some that I'm using now. You could probably guess at least one of them, but it's not super important in this thread which types are used.

I think that's most of the stuff that I use. There may be something else lurking in the kit, but it's probably not used much. Maybe some spare parts for guns, or a bulged 9mm case from when someone shot a 9mm out of a .40 S&W. That kind of thing. :shock:

Sent from iSnurd
Snurd
Posse

Re: Gun cleaning

Postby jfwright1955 » Sat 04 Feb 2017 8:00 am

Good, thorough narrative of the cleaning topic, Snurd. This is a question that comes up often so it'll be handy as a reference for myself and others. :thumbsup:

I know there's a ton of YouTube's on this subject but, would you envision a "Snurdiversal Studios" to create videos for popular firearms to supplement this post? Be handy if there were some credible, informative videos embedded in the topic for easy reference whether they be yours or ones you've given the "Snurd endorsement"?
John
NRA RSO
No one should make decisions for us when it comes to guns and gun carry. If we do things we're not comfortable with because someone told us it's 'right' it becomes a distraction in an event where clarity and simplicity is needed.
jfwright1955
Sniper

Postby Snurd » Sat 04 Feb 2017 2:24 pm

jfwright1955 wrote:Good, thorough narrative of the cleaning topic, Snurd. This is a question that comes up often so it'll be handy as a reference for myself and others. :thumbsup:

I know there's a ton of YouTube's on this subject but, would you envision a "Snurdiversal Studios" to create videos for popular firearms to supplement this post? Be handy if there were some credible, informative videos embedded in the topic for easy reference whether they be yours or ones you've given the "Snurd endorsement"?

:ROFL: I guess I'll have to get a GoPro or something like that for quality video. Maybe the iPhone would work for a while. But I don't have a good way to hold it in place.... I'll try to think of something.
Snurd
Posse

Postby Doctor Jenks » Sun 05 Feb 2017 11:13 am

Very nice post snurdly. It's funny, I was just rethinking my cleaning process this morning. Then I opened up UCC and found this. This was a good primer for my thought process.

What is everyone's thoughts on boresnake for cleaning the barrel? I find myself using these most of the time after a short shooting session for my pistols. I've read a little today about these being bad for barrels. Not sure how much I buy into that, jury is still out.

I end up using the old brass jag after a long shooting session (i love these). With patch and brush as you described.

For my Daniel Defense and Howa 1500, I've been a big fan of the Otis pull through cleaning system. I've been meaning to get some tipton rods and guides, but the dang things are just so expensive.
M&P 40 Pro
Doctor Jenks
Sharp Shooter

Postby morcey2 » Sun 05 Feb 2017 11:23 am

You're supposed to clean them? :shock:
NRA Certified Rifle Instructor
NRA Certified Shotgun Instructor
NRA Certified Pistol Instructor.
NRA Certified Muzzleloading Rifle Instructor
NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
Purveyor of bad jokes.
morcey2
Expert Marksman

Gun cleaning

Postby Snurd » Sun 05 Feb 2017 11:41 am

Doctor Jenks wrote:Very nice post snurdly. It's funny, I was just rethinking my cleaning process this morning. Then I opened up UCC and found this. This was a good primer for my thought process.

What is everyone's thoughts on boresnake for cleaning the barrel? I find myself using these most of the time after a short shooting session for my pistols. I've read a little today about these being bad for barrels. Not sure how much I buy into that, jury is still out.

I end up using the old brass jag after a long shooting session (i love these). With patch and brush as you described.

For my Daniel Defense and Howa 1500, I've been a big fan of the Otis pull through cleaning system. I've been meaning to get some tipton rods and guides, but the dang things are just so expensive.

Personally I think the Bore Snake is fine for quick cleaning. Like a range session where you may have fired a good number of rounds, and want to get some gunk out. For me, after I get home, I always use the bronze brush and give it a scrub with that. Then jaggify. <-- New word.

I don't doubt that people use the Bore Snake for their main cleaning. That's up to them.

Sent from iSnurd
Snurd
Posse

Postby Snurd » Sun 05 Feb 2017 11:42 am

morcey2 wrote:You're supposed to clean them? :shock:

For you, just on the outside to make them purdy. :lol2:

Sent from iSnurd
Snurd
Posse

Return to General Firearms