NEED HELP NOW!!!

Post any gunsmithing services or parts in this forum

NEED HELP NOW!!!

Postby xRapidDavex » Sun 15 Mar 2009 6:20 pm

EDIT: I fixed the problem. Read the bold text below to see how.

I took my pistol apart and as I was putting it back together, I used the slide release to chamber a round while the take down lever was turned in the position to allow the slide to come off the frame. When I did this, it chambered a round but now my slide is half way off the frame and jammed up pretty good. Can I get this undone myself or does a smith need to take care of it?

I know everyone is going to recommend a smith but has anyone done this themselves and how did you fix it??

Holy cow, I got lucky! The mag release and slide were locked up extremely tight and wouldn't budge an inch. First, I safely lowered the hammer with my hammer drop and made sure my finger was between it and the firing pin. Then I popped the base plate off the magazine and let the remaining rounds drop out. I'm thinking this helped take the pressure off the slide, but I'm not a gun smith so I don't know. After that, with a little brute force, I was able to pull the slide back, eject the round, and drop the mag.

I'm so lucky that this didn't turn into a $100.00 mistake. You bet I'll always check that take down lever from now on.
It's not so much that the gun does or doesn't do what it's supposed to, it's simply not running anymore. So if it doesn't run, what I do is sort of wang on it until it does.

-Clint Smith [on malfunction clearances]
xRapidDavex
Sniper

Re: NEED HELP NOW!!!

Postby Queen Kat » Mon 16 Mar 2009 12:19 am

wow! glad you were able to get out of that situation! :shock:
Queen Kat

"...the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."
Queen Kat
Marksman

Return to Gunsmithing