Question on a Sig P220

Post any gunsmithing services or parts in this forum

Question on a Sig P220

Postby kalobg » Sat 03 Oct 2009 11:37 am

Hello All,

Yesterday my parts pack from Sig came with new springs etc for my P220. Tear down was straightforward and the gun was fairly clean back there--PO did a good job of taking care of her for me! Unfortunately I didn't pay attention to how the trigger spring attaches to the trigger bar as there are two places it 'could' go.

The rear position, where the spring is in the photo, puts the trigger reset at almost fully out and the trigger is very sluggish to move out.

The forward position, about a 1/4" 'up' the spring, is the position I believe it should be in. However when in this position the spring flexes against the grip and there is a slight clicking when it does so. Maybe it just needs to be worn in?

I checked out a few exploded Sig diagrams but they all show the opposite view, but the spring is oreiented correctly, I'm just not sure it's in the right spot :) . I appreciate anyone's info in the matter.

edit: I forgot to include a link to the photo! http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm207/kalobg/IMG_1373.jpg
kalobg
Marksman

Re: Question on a Sig P220

Postby xRapidDavex » Sat 03 Oct 2009 12:41 pm

My P239 has the trigger bar spring in the exact same place as yours, that "forward" position is incorrect. When I put my spring in that hole, my trigger feels squishy.

I have no idea why your trigger reset is that far forward though. Are you sure you have the right spring? Mine has a loop, but I'm wondering if that is for tension strength since my spring is very thin.

triggerspring.jpg
triggerspring.jpg (30.08 KiB) Viewed 522 times
It's not so much that the gun does or doesn't do what it's supposed to, it's simply not running anymore. So if it doesn't run, what I do is sort of wang on it until it does.

-Clint Smith [on malfunction clearances]
xRapidDavex
Sniper

Re: Question on a Sig P220

Postby kalobg » Sat 03 Oct 2009 1:40 pm

Dave,

Thanks a ton. I think the trigger felt funny before because I didn't have it put back together completely. I moved the spring over to the rear notch and the rubbing is gone and the trigger feels as heavy as ever. I do have the right spring--I matched all the springs in the little baggy to what was already in the gun. Interesting difference between models, though.

Depending on how many rounds you have in your 239, I would recommend you grab the spring pack from them too. My 220 has at least 2k from me and who knows how many from the PO, he said he used it for competition shooting and the guy he bought it from used it for the same. The main difference I feel is the recoil spring... the PO had a spring for a 220 Carry in it. Much firmer now. I'm going to head out today and try it all out.

Thanks again, Dave.
kalobg
Marksman

Return to Gunsmithing