Utah Guns Forum banner

Adopt a Newbie

7K views 33 replies 25 participants last post by  elkfever 
#1 ·
NOT MY IDEA was stolen from a Wisconsin Topic. - I just thought it was interesting

Adopt a first timer??

I was thinking the other day. Yes, I know that this is dangerous!!

But, we all were a bit...scared, fearful, nervous, the first time we opened carried. So, how about a list of people, by regions, who are willing to "adopt a first timer" to help lessen the fear on their "first time out"?

Just post screen name's of "seasoned carriers" so "first timers" can PM us and set up a time to talk and meet for their "first open carry".

I figured we could have a post a Mod if you where looking for this service. And a mod could match you up or something.

*****EDIT*****

Here will be a list for experienced open carriers willing to help out first timers.

Experienced open carriers, please make a post here with your area (about 50 miles from home) if not listed and the city you live in. This is so the "first timer" can see your post and PM you for help. I will make a single list in this post with all the area's and name's for each area.

See less See more
#2 ·
Being that it's Utah Concealed Carry, maybe instead we should allow the newbie to pick if they want help working on OC, CC, or maybe they just want to fire a firearm without a crowd because they feel stupid? OC is a good idea, but I don't think we should limit it to just OC.

I'm throwing my hat in here to work with someone unfamiliar with guns, etc!

#3 ·
Kinda sounds like a mini event... in a sense. I know most people are nervous to OC the first time, especially by themselves. I'm willing to go for a quick lunch or smoothie or something if someone wanted to OC with another.

edit: I live in the Lehi area

#4 ·
I think this is a great idea. I rarely OC, but one of the few times I did was when 14freedom and I OC'd to Fuddruckers to show our support for their refusal to cave to the corporate anti-gun policy. It certainly made me more comfortable and less fearful of confrontation on the issue to know I wasn't the only one OCing.

#9 ·
I liked the idea I was not sure if there are a lot of Newbies that would like that kind of help.

I am in Spanish Fork if anyone needs help.

#11 ·
Count me as available and willing for OC outings. I live in downtown Provo and OC most of the time.

#13 ·
Anyone in west Jordan area? I could drive up there if no one else live closer.

#18 ·
I'd really enjoy being "adopted" as a future permit holder and most likely sometimes OC'er. I have yet to get my permit, so we'd have to go somewhere I could carry. I live in Holladay so anybody who has the time and lives in the area and is willing to hang out with me while OC'ing would be awesome.

#19 ·
I'm more or less a newbie myself, but I'm more than willing to hang out with anyone in the Murray-Holladay area. Heh, really, anywhere in the SL valley works for me. It's good to have friends!

#23 ·
Sorry to bump an old thread.

I am currently in Salt Lake, or Layton Clearfield area. Haven't Oc'd in public yet ( just around the house and yard.) Anyone wanna adopt me? :D

I'm still just nervous to do it as I'm younger (21) and don't have kids etc.. to make people feel more accepting. No CCP yet, taking class tomorrow.

#24 ·
if we want to meet a bit south I would not mind doing a walk through Orem or something. Gas is a bit tight for me to go up to SLC

#25 ·
Ego_Trip said:
Sorry to bump an old thread.

I am currently in Salt Lake, or Layton Clearfield area. Haven't Oc'd in public yet ( just around the house and yard.) Anyone wanna adopt me? :D

I'm still just nervous to do it as I'm younger (21) and don't have kids etc.. to make people feel more accepting. No CCP yet, taking class tomorrow.
I am in the avenues and I can meet up with you. I pretty much only OC. My wife is going out of town on Friday for 4 weeks. We could meet up this weekend if you want to.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.