Taylorsville Walmart Experience - Trying A Holster

Discuss issues regarding open carry.

Taylorsville Walmart Experience - Trying A Holster

Postby realityrx82 » Thu 09 Feb 2012 1:02 pm

I hope this is the right area for this topic.

I haven't open carried yet but I did go to Walmart to purchase a cheap open-carry holster (in case I don't enjoy open carrying). Last time I was there purchasing some ammo, the guy wanted to see my new Kahr CW9 but I couldn't show it to him because it was loaded. According to him, only unloaded handguns could be unholstered in Walmart (unless otherwise justified).

So yesterday I unloaded in my car, put the magazine in my pocket (because I'm not going into a ghetto Walmart without some ammo) and re-holstered my CW9. I went into Walmart found the size 8 holster and before purchasing I wanted to see what my gun looked like inside of it. So I had to call someone over because no one was in the Sporting Section. 10 minutes later this huge bald guy (a manager) came out of the back and asked me how he could help me. (I'm a big guy and I just called this guy huge).

I explained to him that I was interested in purchasing the holster but wanted to fit my gun to it. He asked if my gun was unloaded, I advised him yes it was. He asked if I would show him so I unholstered my CW9, showed him there was no magazine in it and racked the slide to show him the chamber was empty. He then said go ahead and try the new holster, turned his back to me and started to help someone else.

He was very professional and wasn't scared at all that I brought a gun into Walmart. I thought I might have read on here about a bad Walmart experience so I wanted to post about this good experience! :thumbup:

Now to find the courage to try open carrying for the first time. Maybe I'll do that tomorrow :shades:
Attachments
CW9 Open Carry Holster.jpeg
CW9 in a $13 Blackhawk open carry holster
CW9 Open Carry Holster.jpeg (133.23 KiB) Viewed 1780 times
Brigham Young was right, living with Latter-day Saints in zion (Utah) is tough.
realityrx82
Novice

Re: Taylorsville Walmart Experience - Trying A Holster

Postby The Armed Female » Thu 09 Feb 2012 2:20 pm

realityrx82 wrote:He was very professional and wasn't scared at all that I brought a gun into Walmart. I thought I might have read on here about a bad Walmart experience so I wanted to post about this good experience! :thumbup:

Glad you had a good experience. And thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:
“Politicians are like diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason.”
― Mark Twain

For ladies training information visit us at www.thearmedfemale.com
The Armed Female
Posse

Postby ian husford » Fri 10 Feb 2012 9:32 am

I wonder if Walmart is changing their tune some. I guess money does speak to them. I stopped going there after they fired two employees for taking down an armed robber.

ian
The First and Second Amendments are so intertwined that that we can not have one without the other. And if there comes a time when we lose both, the United States will cease as we know it.
ian husford
Sniper

Postby Sam Fidler » Fri 10 Feb 2012 12:38 pm

That's my local Walmart and I've OCed in there a number of times over the years. Never had anyone say anything about it.
"I have sworn upon the altar of God Eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson, 1800
http://www.The-Palladium-Group.com
Sam Fidler
Sniper

Postby gravedancer » Fri 10 Feb 2012 2:13 pm

Sam Fidler wrote:That's my local Walmart and I've OCed in there a number of times over the years. Never had anyone say anything about it.

Its my local walmart too, and Ive OCd there a few times,and "loosely concealed" there several times a week and never had anyone so much as bat an eye....
"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without an accordion. All you leave behind is a lot of noisy baggage."
gravedancer
Sniper

Postby DaKnife » Fri 10 Feb 2012 2:39 pm

I think it's more just a matter of local policy. Some stores are great, some are not.
SPOOOOOOON!!!

WARNING: This comment may contain chemicals known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm, in every other state it may increase intelligence and knowledge.
DaKnife
Sniper

Postby faydee » Fri 10 Feb 2012 3:04 pm

never have a problem at that walmart and i dont go there unarmed either

thanks for sharing and how do you liek the rig?
Using the lessons I've gleaned from Zombie movies, I would recommend you have at least one round of ammunition per person currently living within a 30 mile radius of your location...

III%
faydee
Sharp Shooter

Postby realityrx82 » Fri 10 Feb 2012 3:13 pm

faydee wrote:how do you liek the rig?

I like that it covers up most of my gun to not catch a lot of attention but I haven't worn it yet. I haven't had time to open carry because I picked up some extra shifts at work. I'll probably open carry for the first time tomorrow. I don't know whether to look forward to it or to be worried, haha.
realityrx82
Novice

Postby Sam Fidler » Fri 10 Feb 2012 11:07 pm

Wow! How many forum members are in the Taylorsville area?
"I have sworn upon the altar of God Eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson, 1800
Sam Fidler
Sniper

Postby Snurd » Sat 11 Feb 2012 12:00 am

I'd say at least some of us. :D I was just at that Walmart a little while ago.
Image SW1911 / Slipstream Permanent Treatment
Slipstream - Just what the Gundoctor ordered.
NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun Instructor, NRA RSO
Contact me for SIRT Training Pistols
Snurd
Top Shot

Postby BXR4T » Sat 11 Feb 2012 4:09 am

realityrx82 wrote:

I like that it covers up most of my gun to not catch a lot of attention but I haven't worn it yet. I haven't had time to open carry because I picked up some extra shifts at work. I'll probably open carry for the first time tomorrow. I don't know whether to look forward to it or to be worried, haha.

Let me know how it goes!
BXR4T
Novice

Postby Sam Fidler » Sat 11 Feb 2012 7:52 am

realityrx82 wrote:

If it's the same holster I purchased many years ago, take it to the range first. I had too many times when I drew and presented the gun while still in the holster.
Sam Fidler
Sniper

Postby realityrx82 » Sat 11 Feb 2012 8:51 am

Sam Fidler wrote:
realityrx82 wrote:

If it's the same holster I purchased many years ago, take it to the range first. I had too many times when I drew and presented the gun while still in the holster.

Its a BlackHawk holster. And that would be impossible unless I unbuckled my belt and pulled it out of the loops with the holster.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk
realityrx82
Novice

Postby Sam Fidler » Sat 11 Feb 2012 11:17 am

Sorry, guess I got this thread crossed with one that mentioned an Uncle Mikes holster
Sam Fidler
Sniper

Postby Utah_patriot » Sat 11 Feb 2012 6:39 pm

Love this Walmart in Taylorsville also the ones on
6200 South 5600 West and
3500 South and 5600 West

they are all very good with Open carry
Zachary
801-448-7574
Utah_patriot