Starbucks Event

Discuss issues regarding open carry.

Starbucks Event

Postby Matthew R » Tue 14 Feb 2012 7:11 pm

At Starbucks in Midvale. I'm sure you have all heard about the, Gun Owners Nationally Support Starbucks on 02-14-2012 event on facebook. I was OC'ing and was sitting in Starbucks when I got approached by a police officer. He came up behind me then he put his hands on my shoulder and said " Keep your hands on the table where I can see them. Whats the deal with the gun buddy?" I said "First, I do have a concealed permit to carry." I thought it would be a good 'calm the [auto-filtered] down and don't shoot me' statement." Then he said, "That's what it means, concealed means concealed. So, after I leave i want you to cover it up." I said, "No problem, however you should know that there is an event to day..." Then I continued to explain the whole support Starbuck thing and that he may be receiving a lot more calls. He then asked me to please inform all the other patrons who would be oc'ing to cover up their weapons as well. He dismissed himself and left. About 30 seconds later he came back and asked to see my permit. I showed it to him and then he started asking more questions about the event. After about five min later he said he really had no problem with it and he would talk to dispatch. I shook his hand as he left. He was nice but he seemed nervous.
Thought i would share.
Matthew Rambo, www.matthewrambo.com
sig226, 590A1 - Get some!
Matthew R
Novice

Re: Starbucks Event

Postby Car Knocker » Tue 14 Feb 2012 7:16 pm

Do you have any idea whether he was aware that open carry (loaded or unloaded as the case may be) is legal in Utah?
Don

-->insert witty and/or inspirational message here<--
Car Knocker
Posse

Postby DinTex » Tue 14 Feb 2012 8:11 pm

Thanks for sharing.. some thoughts I had..

Matthew R wrote:I was OC'ing and was sitting in Starbucks when I got approached by a police officer. He came up behind me then he put his hands on my shoulder...

Lack of awareness.. if you OC, nobody should be able to approach you from behind and put a hand on you.. :swat:

Matthew R wrote:"Whats the deal with the gun buddy?"

Not sure how common that is, but in general "buddy" is not really a term I would accept to hear. While I would politely answer, I would as well probably tell him that I am not acquinted to him...

Matthew R wrote:"That's what it means, concealed means concealed. So, after I leave i want you to cover it up."

Time for you to carry one of these in your wallet.. http://www.utahconcealedcarry.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9298&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=15
DinTex
Liberalism preaches confident social engineering by the regulatory state. Conservatism urges government humility in the face of society’s creative complexity
_____ George F. Will, 5th of October
DinTex
Sniper

Postby UtahCFP » Tue 14 Feb 2012 8:37 pm

Matthew R wrote:At Starbucks in Midvale. I'm sure you have all heard about the, Gun Owners Nationally Support Starbucks on 02-14-2012 event on facebook. I was OC'ing and was sitting in Starbucks when I got approached by a police officer. He came up behind me then he put his hands on my shoulder and said " Keep your hands on the table where I can see them. Whats the deal with the gun buddy?" I said "First, I do have a concealed permit to carry." I thought it would be a good 'calm the [auto-filtered] down and don't shoot me' statement." Then he said, "That's what it means, concealed means concealed. So, after I leave i want you to cover it up." I said, "No problem, however you should know that there is an event to day..." Then I continued to explain the whole support Starbuck thing and that he may be receiving a lot more calls. He then asked me to please inform all the other patrons who would be oc'ing to cover up their weapons as well. He dismissed himself and left. About 30 seconds later he came back and asked to see my permit. I showed it to him and then he started asking more questions about the event. After about five min later he said he really had no problem with it and he would talk to dispatch. I shook his hand as he left. He was nice but he seemed nervous.
Thought i would share.

Did you get the officer's name or department? There is a police captain out there somewhere we need to alert so he or she can correct his or her officers about the actual law.
Dr. Dave (UtahCFP@gmail.com)
Utah Concealed Firearm Permit Instructor (CFP Class info at http://www.utahcfp.biz)
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor, Basic Rifle Instructor, Basic Shotgun Instructor, and RSO
NRA Life Member
GLOCK Certified Armorer
Utah Notary
UtahCFP
Sniper

Postby Kevin Jensen » Tue 14 Feb 2012 10:00 pm

Isn't Mudvale UPD now?

In before the UPD clowns. :wink: Although only one of the three seems active anymore. :(
Let not my last thought be “ If only I had my gun ”;
and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home,
let me die in a pile of empty brass.

Kevin Jensen
Sniper

Starbucks Event

Postby JoeSparky » Tue 14 Feb 2012 10:58 pm

So an officer without RAS places their hand on your shoulder from behind? At that point you have been detained without cause and the OEO has committed battery on your person. He then ends with color of law orders. Yep, Opinion Enforcement Officer is out in force! His Captain does need to know!!!
JoeSparky
GOA Life Member
NRA Life Member
NAGR Member
UCC
OCDO

Remember IANAL
Praying that OUR Country can be returned to it's greatness and to it's CONSTITUTION!
JoeSparky
Sniper

Postby Matthew R » Tue 14 Feb 2012 11:33 pm

Car Knocker wrote:Do you have any idea whether he was aware that open carry (loaded or unloaded as the case may be) is legal in Utah?

I told him that i wasn't required by law to cover the firearm and he said that he was aware of the law but it would be better if I covered so he didn't get more calls. Also, he said it would be less scary for those around me because when they see a gun without a badge they tend to freak out.
Matthew R
Novice

Postby Matthew R » Tue 14 Feb 2012 11:38 pm

DinTex wrote:Thanks for sharing.. some thoughts I had..

Matthew R wrote:I was OC'ing and was sitting in Starbucks when I got approached by a police officer. He came up behind me then he put his hands on my shoulder...

Lack of awareness.. if you OC, nobody should be able to approach you from behind and put a hand on you.. :swat:

Matthew R wrote:"Whats the deal with the gun buddy?"

Not sure how common that is, but in general "buddy" is not really a term I would accept to hear. While I would politely answer, I would as well probably tell him that I am not acquinted to him...

Matthew R wrote:"That's what it means, concealed means concealed. So, after I leave i want you to cover it up."

Time for you to carry one of these in your wallet.. http://www.utahconcealedcarry.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=9298&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=15

I watched the officer walk in, walk towards the register on my right, go behind me then place his hand on my shoulder. I'm sure it would have been totally different if i would have spun around real fast to make him aware that i knew what he was up to.
Matthew R
Novice

Postby ThatOneChick » Tue 14 Feb 2012 11:40 pm

OCing is legal and not RAS. You did not need to say anything, you did not need to identify, etc. Please, please, please file a complaint. Seriously, if someone went up to him from behind and put their hands on his shoulder, there'd probably be [auto-filtered] to pay. It's not ok for him to do that to you or anyone without a legal reason.
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes. --Douglas Adams

Unless cited, any comments are my personal opinion and may not hold any weight or be correct.
ThatOneChick
Novice

Postby luckystrike » Wed 07 Mar 2012 5:24 am

Which Starbucks? And at what time?
Liberty Bail Bonds 801-974-JAIL (5245)
luckystrike
Novice

Return to Open Carry