Utah Guns Forum banner

My open carry experience at the SLC airport

9K views 21 replies 14 participants last post by  Utah_patriot 
#1 ·
I open carried for the first time at the SLC int'l airport last night while picking up my mother-in-law and, despite my fears of being harrassed, NOTHING HAPPENED! Several TSA and other law enforcement saw me with my firearm exposed and nobody batted an eye, just the way it SHOULD be! :dancing:

#9 ·
crgonzalez08 said:
have you guys been inside the terminal or just on the street "pick up area"...... Just wondering cause I was under the impression that was a restricted space..
The only restricted space is the area past the TSA security checks.

#13 ·
On most of the few times I've flown since TSA took over groping duties, I stop in the restroom to stow before baggage check-in and do the same to re-arm after baggage claim. Never an issue.

#14 ·
Yesterday, I had to take one of my daughters to the airport so she could fly back to WA state after a 5 day visit for her mom's birthday. She asked me to walk in with her to get her boarding pass and to say good bye before entering into the security gate. Saw two SLC airport patrol cars at terminal 1 but we were going to terminal 2 for Alaska Airlines so I didn't expect any problems. We parked in the temporary parking garage and walked into terminal 2, across the skywalk, down the escalator and over to the very Eastern end of the ticketing boothes to the Alaska Airlines kiosks. I was OCing my Ed Brown Special Forces 1911 in a Milt Sparks BN55. Boarding pass obtained, we headed back up the escalator where I gave my daughter a big hung and a proper send off. I then went back over the skywalk to the parking kiosk check out where I inserted both the parking stub and my CC. Just as I was pulling both out of the kiosk I noticed, in my right peripheral view, a bicycle wheel. The kiosk is right next to the automatic double doors which lead into the parking garage. As I turned to the right to activate the automatic doors and exit I noticed a SLC LEO, on his patrol bicycle sitting there looking at me and my 1911. I smiled and said "Hi" as I exited the building. I pulled my smart phone out of my shirt's breast pocket and fired up the video camera feature, fully expecting to hear the LEO's voice so he could detain me. Nada! Nothing! Didn't hear a single voice from my 6 o'clock. Got to my truck and pulled out of the garage, again, expecting one or more patrol cars to pull me over once I got to an area that was less populated.

Nothing!

Guess my LEO radar will not be on full alert as much as it used to be when I go up to the airport.

#15 ·
Nice! A non-event. The second-to-best kind! I OC at the airport when I do the Christmas Pickups. I live closest to the airport and I have a decently large vehicle, so I frequently do those runs. Since my wife's family almost always arrives in from Texas, a non-OC state, I always get funny looks. :)

#19 ·
Ruminus said:
UtahJarhead said:
No, that's just awe. :)
Awe as in "Wow, what a beard!" or as in "Awe, look honey, that poor man ran out of razors and couldn't afford any refills."? :lol2:
Let me take this answer.....

YES

#20 ·
Since we are already so far off topic......

I decided to go for the duck dynasty look. Three weeks and growing like a well watered weed in fertilizer.

Looked a little funny with full goatee in place but the cheeks will catch up soon enough.

Gotta love beard envy!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.