Utah Guns Forum banner

UofU Open Carry

39K views 105 replies 32 participants last post by  Utah_patriot 
#1 ·
After years of working on Open Carry on University Campus I have a upcoming meeting with University Police Chief and legal counsel.
Mitch Vilos has agreed to represent open carry the cost is 750.00 I am actively seeking sponsors since this legal case has the potential to go to the State Supreme court.
If it does the costs could be as high as 30,000

I am seeking gun organizations to help fund this fight I am looking into raffles and other Ideas to help fund this important issue since legislators have failed.
The meeting is set for Aug 10-15th the date has not been set until I can fully fund his legal help of 750.00

Any Ideas would be helpful this is just the start of a long journey.

Thanks
Zachary

#78 ·
Jonny Salsman said:
brainoncapitalist said:
Why not call the club 'Students for Open Carry'? That ought to ruffle some feathers. :lol2:
Im actually planning to start said club after getting this one to be successful, oddly enough i bet both clubs share a large majority of its members :)
:thumbsup:

#84 ·
Yes I am still working with the lawyers and Mitch I will be paying him additional 600 to cover extended lawyers fee's and hope to have a solid answer this month.

The bill so far has reached into the 1000 dollar range by the time I am done I will most likely exceed that amount.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

#85 ·
Well as frustrating as this ordeal has been here is a update

I contacted Mitch Vilos and had him send a follow up email to the University legal council.

I followed up with the police Chief as well

So far the University is unwilling to contact us back or email me or the lawyer a update.

Everyday I check my emails and will continue to keep this issue alive
I am continuing to make payments to Mitch Vilos and picked up a part time job to continue funding this endeavor.

I will not give up and refuse to back down from this fight until I have a answer in writing.

I will post a update to the community once I have a resolution to this

#86 ·
Utah_patriot said:
...So far the University is unwilling to contact us back or email me or the lawyer a update....
University administrators are painted into a legal corner and don't want to admit it. It is called checkmate.

If they had any legal defense against your claim, they would have said so by now.

#89 ·
So is this considered the final resolution? They don't have to admit that they were wrong, even? They're still going to claim it's illegal to OC on campus. If not the current administration, the next one.

#90 ·
The day I have been waiting for is finally happening I will be meeting with general counsel tomorrow.

Just putting this out there if anyone would like to attend

It will be Wednesday at 1500 in the Park Building Room 309
So far it will be just me hoping for some legislative officials.

I will be dressed up and hoping to not turn this into a open carry event.

I will be hearing what they have to say and deciding if I have to continue further with legal.
Anyone is invited but let me know in advance so I can let legal counsel know how many are attending.

#91 ·
Please allow me to get one thing straight. Your state legislators passed (and was then signed into law) a bill that allowed campus carry earlier this year right? I am assuming since this thread is still active, this particular university is still not allowing open carry? What about other schools? Are they not complying partially with just open carry or are they fighting back against all carry methods? You must understand we do not (yet) have campus carry in GA, but OC/Concealed is not a distinction in our weapons laws.

#92 ·
To The schools are arguing that since a permit to conceal is required to legally carry then we must actually conceal. Nothing in Utah's laws actually mandates concealment.
The law in question is much older than one year!

#93 ·
Alright thanks for that clarification. Sounds like your state Board of Regents (or similar body) has its head up its well...anyhow. GA is facing a fight similar to this. We just had two bills pass that are not in any shape or form conflicting each other, but our BOR and its allies insist that since one was signed before the other the 'early' bill is null and void. That bill they are all :nilly: about gives Georgia Weapons Carry License holders exemption from laws outlawing carrying in a 'School Zone' (aka campus carry).

#95 ·
Utah_patriot said:
The day I have been waiting for is finally happening I will be meeting with general counsel tomorrow.

Just putting this out there if anyone would like to attend

It will be Wednesday at 1500 in the Park Building Room 309
So far it will be just me hoping for some legislative officials.

I will be dressed up and hoping to not turn this into a open carry event.

I will be hearing what they have to say and deciding if I have to continue further with legal.
Anyone is invited but let me know in advance so I can let legal counsel know how many are attending.
Good luck! Let us know how it goes. :mrgreen:

#96 ·
rcsob657 said:
Please allow me to get one thing straight. Your state legislators passed (and was then signed into law) a bill that allowed campus carry earlier this year right? I am assuming since this thread is still active, this particular university is still not allowing open carry? What about other schools? Are they not complying partially with just open carry or are they fighting back against all carry methods? You must understand we do not (yet) have campus carry in GA, but OC/Concealed is not a distinction in our weapons laws.
Actually the law passed recently just clarified that the legal carrying of a handgun, regardless of whether openly or concealed, was not in and of itself grounds for a disorderly conduct charge, absent other behavior that would qualify. The issue that this thread has been addressing, is that since one must have a concealed weapons permit in order to legally carry at a school, some schools have argued that since a CCW is required to carry, that means that you HAVE to conceal when carrying on campus. This is akin to someone giving you a ticket for walking down the street, with the logic being that since you have a drivers license, you MUST drive rather than walk. In the past, the disorderly conduct charge has been their vehicle of choice for railroading open carriers, since they couldnt find any other law to actually charge them under. The recent law change that clarifies that OC is not grounds for a DC charge should make that tougher, but the OP is trying to force the school to fully adhere to state law and stop harassing open carriers.

#97 ·
Ach, such are the grim amusements of watching convulsive gun banners and hoplophobes in general struggle against the determined pushing of self-defense activists. If I were suddenly the King of the World, I'd have the entire body of hoplophobes confined to labor camps, manufacturing high-quality personal firearms upon pain of death for the slightest hint of sloppiness or deliberate sabotage. I'd also dance with delight at least once a day for having defeated the arrogant statists and forced them to self-abnegate themselves daily. ^___^

#98 ·
gravedancer said:
rcsob657 said:
The recent law change that clarifies that OC is not grounds for a DC charge should make that tougher, but the OP is trying to force the school to fully adhere to state law and stop harassing open carriers.
And to clarify just a bit, I'm not aware of anyone actually being charged with DoC or other crimes for actually OCing on campus if they have a valid permit. Campus police have tried to intimidate a few folks either with threats of charges or threats of some school discipline. But I don't think they've actually brought charges or imposed any school discipline on anyone.

I'd guess that looking, acting, and speaking like you have the ability and willingness to mount a proper and vigorous legal challenge to any such charges or discipline, along with a complete lack of any conduct that might be criminal would go a long way to having them back down.

Charles

#99 ·
Utah_patriot said:
Today is the meeting with the general counsel always welcome to be their.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Wish I could have been there but it wasn't to be.

So, how did it go? Were you truly alone or did your attorney meet them with you also?

#101 ·
Sorry for the delayed update I was told that the University will continue pursuing this unlawful policy. I will continue fighting this unjust policy.

Not only is this a threat to public University's but could extend to K-12 if the police chiefs get together. I will continue fighting this unjust policy. I will not rest until this policy is abolished and I will continue funding this for the lawyer until all public University's stop making policy's that are unlawful.

I have vested a lot of time and money in this and am thankful for everyone who has helped. Even if you can't donate just share my page with everyone let's get the community behind this. This is an attack on all gun rights not just open carry what's next free speech zones and restrictions where firearms can be on campus.

Let's share the gofundme website I will continue fighting and organizing events to continue fighting this unjust and unfair policy.

Thanks to everyone I will not let you down.
Zachary Wellman

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.