Utah Guns Forum banner

UofU Open Carry

39K views 105 replies 32 participants last post by  Utah_patriot 
#1 ·
After years of working on Open Carry on University Campus I have a upcoming meeting with University Police Chief and legal counsel.
Mitch Vilos has agreed to represent open carry the cost is 750.00 I am actively seeking sponsors since this legal case has the potential to go to the State Supreme court.
If it does the costs could be as high as 30,000

I am seeking gun organizations to help fund this fight I am looking into raffles and other Ideas to help fund this important issue since legislators have failed.
The meeting is set for Aug 10-15th the date has not been set until I can fully fund his legal help of 750.00

Any Ideas would be helpful this is just the start of a long journey.

Thanks
Zachary

#2 ·
I would ask Utah Gun Exchange, maybe Nick would be willing to help out.

I just want to say thank you Zachary for all that you do :) I don't have any money but if there are other ways i can help you just let me know, and i will volunteer my time and efforts.

#4 ·
Are you going to OC at the meeting with the campus chief? As I stated on FB, I'm willing to help out financially or in any other way. I don't have much right now, but could spare some now and more after payday on the 15th. Let me know how you want to arrange getting the money.

#10 ·
I am in for a hundred too start. Message me your address and the check will be in the mail. Anybody else up for a match or partial match?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 ·
PayPal account?

I can't do much, but small amounts add up fast.

Does Mitch have a way we can donate to a legal defense fund?

#14 ·
Good news Mitch Vilos has agreed to take this case to offset the legal cost he has agreed to accept donations in a trust account on my behalf.
My part of the Bill is 750.00 to further open carry on Utah campuses.

I will be meeting with University Police Chief and legal counsel to discuss their Illegal policy's.
I am doing this at the risk of my employment because I truly believe in this cause and feel state university's cannot regulate firearms on state campuses.
This unlawful activity has gone on long enough and it's time we tell State owned facilities Follow State Law.

It's expected this case could go all the way up to the Utah Supreme Court if it does the cost could flex to 30,000.
I am invested in this and will follow continue to stay on top of this.

Donations are being directly handled by Mitch Vilos
The funds will go towards legal costs

when sending funds they should be sent
(FBO) for the benefit of Zachary S Wellman

Address to send them to is
Attn Mitch Vilos
PO Box 1148
Centerville Utah 84014

Donations are not tax deductible or offer any attorney client beneft

#15 ·
Utah_patriot said:
Good news Mitch Vilos has agreed to take this case to offset the legal cost he has agreed to accept donations in a trust account on my behalf.
My part of the Bill is 750.00 to further open carry on Utah campuses.
Just out of curiosity, what does the initial $750.00 get you/us?

Does it get some amount of prep time for Mitch to prepare arguments to make to the UoU while you and he meets with them?

Or is this just for his time to show up and confer with the UoU?

Ideally of course, you and MItch would be able to convince the UoU that they have no authority under current law to ban OC and they would adopt a legal policy without having to go to court. Despite my previous posts here about how Lund might not apply at a school, I certainly think it makes some good evidence to use against the UoU (a college is not a grade school). Obviously, the original UoU v Shurtleff decision should also be carefully analyzed for anything that might affect the ability of the U to limit or ban OC.

Charles

#19 ·
Alright this is creating a lot of momentum so far I have a group willing to donate a firearm but having troubles setting up a auction or a in-person raffle to help raise funds.

Also set up a website to allow more people to do online donations
http://www.gofundme.com/uofuopencarry

The meeting is pushed back a week or so to insure funds and prep are in place.

I more then likely will use funds I have saved to insure this meeting happens sooner than later.

So far this meeting will consist of the University of Utah legal counsel the University of Utah police chief
Mitch Vilos myself and some others who have stakes in this decision.

I am hoping for a few legislators and possibly a representative from the Attorney generals office.

This must go forward my reason for the meeting is to stop the police from going after law abiding citizens who have exposed firearms on campus.
As of now the policy is to ask them to conceal if not arrest the individual and confiscate their firearm.

The individual then will be used as a test case to see if their policy will stick legally all at the cost of the Individual.
I have a unique way to fight this as I was ordered to conceal on campus this was put in writing which has never Happened before.

This creates legal precedent as it was in direct violation of Utah law and gives me legal standing to challenge their policy.
I will continue on with this legal matter until I have no other options available and all legal options are exhausted.

#21 ·
Utah_patriot said:
This creates legal precedent as it was i direct violation of Utah law and gives me legal standing to challenge their policy.
I will continue on with this legal matter until I have no other options available and all legal options are exhausted.
YOU GO BOY!

#22 ·
I do not have much to donate, but if there is anything I can do, let me know. I work for ARUP so any conclusion to this could affect me as well.
It is good that you have it in writing this time.

note, If it is useful, since we are (sort of) owned by the U of U hospital, the employee handbook makes a distinction for concealed firearms.

#24 ·
Zachary, have you tried reaching out to some other organizations that might be able to help? For example, the GOA, the Utah Libertas Institute, NRAILA or the USSC.

One of these organazations may even be willing to use their social network to advertise the auction for the gun.

Edited to add a thought

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.