Utah Guns Forum banner

Open Carry at sprouts, what have I done.

7K views 23 replies 16 participants last post by  Jonny Salsman 
#1 ·
Well I live in Provo and we shop at sprouts alot to buy fresh produce. Well the other day we went there to get some stuff and heather pointed out a big new sign "no firearms". I have never seen any one else open carry there so I think I have been noticed. I am planing on going in and talking to the manager and explaining some things to him about how a little sign is not going to keep out bad guys. I wanted to give you guys a heads up and if any of you want to go to the store with me I think that would really get the point across. Also I'm going to start a list if base of people that feel the same way. So if you can't go to the store with me you can at least be on a list that I can show them saying "it's not just me" that will not shop here any more. Thank you for all your support with this. I hope we as a group can make a difference if we stand togather. I snapped a picture tonight to show you guys.

See less See more
#7 ·
JT! Welcome back, buddy! My wife still has AND USES the knife you made for that picnic drawing a few years back.

Awesome job stepping p and letting these guys know what their signs are doing.

#9 ·
Hmm, I shop there fairly often, most recently just yesterday, and never noticed the sign. Of course, I seldom ever look at signs on doors. I always either open carry or casual conceal, depending on the weather, and have never had anyone say anything. If they ever do, It will end my patronizing the store.

#10 ·
JT, I think that you are on the right path to let them know how you feel. Here are some of my thoughts, and you get what you pay for :mrgreen:.

I think that a meeting with the store manager is a great start. I don't know that you want a whole group of people going with you as it could come across as you are trying to intimidate or bully them. That is the last thing that we want. Take us with you in the form of letters. I didn't know Sprouts existed until you made this post, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. Those of us who don't shop there could write generic letters expressing our concerns about their policy regarding firearms and our unwillingness to show patronage to such business's. Those who do shop there could be specific about why they shop there, and also share their concerns for their "new" policy.
My guess at this point is the Manager will tell you that it is a company policy mandated from hq, which is in Phoenix. At that point in time you ask him/her whom you need to contact in Phoenix to plead our case. You also ask him/her if they would please forward the letters on to that person, and let them know you will be doing the same.
It appears the founders of Sprouts are originally from California, and that may explain the no firearms policy. But, they are located in seven other states which are more tolerant to their citizens carrying firearms: AZ, CO, NM, NV, OK, TX and UT. That could be used to your advantage if you get to the corporate level.
Use their own words against them. From their website (https://www.sprouts.com/web/guest):

Our Culture

Being a values-driven organization is one of the core strengths of Sprouts. It's what sets us apart from the competition, influences how we behave and guides what choices we make. Above all else we value:
•Collaboration: It's the sum of our parts that makes us great.
•Transparency: We will earn your trust.
•Accountability: We don't just do our jobs; we achieve results and take responsibility for our actions.
•Passion: We put customers at the heart of everything we do.
•Mutual Respect: We're the kind of people you'd want to go to lunch with.
•Innovation: We will do today what will be considered best practice tomorrow.
Explain to them that these are characteristics of most law abiding firearm owners.
Again, these are just a few of my thoughts on the matter.

For those that just stop going, what good does that do if they don't even know that you exist?

#11 ·
JT, even better than a store manager, maybe you could arrange an appointment with a regional manager. They would have more clout than a store manager. I've noticed that at Walmart they list the store and regional manager at the service desk. Not sure if Sprouts does this or not, but it wouldn't hurt to check next time you go into Sprouts.

#12 ·
+1 on Sypher's suggestions especially the not arrive in a group bit. Just a single well spoken and polite individual expressing opposition to the rule and the stack of letters from other established and potential customers from across the state who echo your position.

#13 ·
You might print up some of these: http://www.ctrguns.com/wp-content/uploa ... _money.pdf

I don't know if there is a Utah specific version around, this one seems to be pretty generic and is probably good for most states.
EDIT: OOPS! I found them! http://www.reesold.com/no_guns_no_money.pdf

Also, a hint for anyone that wants to make a document like this to print double sided cards:
If you arrange the front and back sides on one sheet in a checkerboard pattern,
ie:
F B
B F
F B
B F
F B
Then you only need a one sheet document.
You print one side and then turn the paper over and feed it back in top edge first and print the second side and you end up with 10 double sided cards.
The pre-perferated business card stock is available at all office supply stores. Walmart used to carry it.

#15 ·
brainoncapitalist said:
I open carry there all the time and I've never noticed the sign (I never look for them). I've also never been harassed for my OC there.
Even better, don't seek out the attention. Wait until you are approached by someone. For all we know it's required by home office, but the store manager may take a don't ask don't tell approach.

#17 ·
Well, I just got asked to leave because I was carrying. I gave her a no guns = no $ card, told her would share it on a national database (friendorfoe.us), told her I won't be back, and left.

Oh well.

#18 ·
rpyne said:
Well, I just got asked to leave because I was carrying. I gave her a no guns = no $ card, told her would share it on a national database (friendorfoe.us), told her I won't be back, and left.

Oh well.
So much for the "manager was forced by corporate to put the sign up but may look the other way" theory.

#19 ·
ObiRich said:
rpyne said:

Oh well.
So much for the "manager was forced by corporate to put the sign up but may look the other way" theory.
Fair enough...until now there hadn't been any reports of being confronted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.