Utah Guns Forum banner

First Time Carrying a Gun, Snide Comments...

13K views 41 replies 12 participants last post by  UCChris 
#1 ·
First off, sorry for the rash of threads I've made lately. I think I've made three threads in the last 48 hours. :roll: Anyway, without further ado...

I went up to Layton to buy a "firearm" from a really nice guy. I figured why I was up there I might as well mosey on into "Get Some" Guns & Amoo up there to check out prices on .40 SW. Didn't expect any comments or nuthin' since it was a gun shop afterall. Nothing besides a compliment on my piece from the guy at the front desk. Then I ran down to Cabelas in Lehi to buy some pampering supplies for my new baby. No comments or looks there, but I had an interesting conversation with the firearms check-in guy. I walked up to him and told him I needed to check in my firearm since it was going to come out of the holster since I had a question about the front sight for the guys at the gun desk. He said that if the gun was loaded, as well as "Utah unloaded", I could not remove it from the holster even if I checked in. So, in order to pull my gun out to ask my questions, I needed to gun empty my magazine then come back in. Didn't want to disarm myself so I decided to forgo my question. As I walked out I passed by a group of 7-8 teenage boys, and a single girl, all around the age of 15 or so. One of them complimented my gun and the other asked if it was a 9 or 40. I was glad these guys were somewhat knowledgable, but no sooner had I thought that one of the guys asked me, in a very mocking tone, if I was in the CIA or if I was just some "censored" cop. Then the girl piped up saying that I was neither, but rather a "poser censored" Left a really bad taste in my mouth...

Anyway, that was my experience. I'm glad nobody freaked out, but I didn't really expect it. I wasn't expecting the snide comments though...

See less See more
#27 ·
UCChris said:
I layed down my ultimatum. If he is going to cow my rights in favor of appeasing the public, then he can pay for the Maine permit and NRA pistol course.

Sent from Fiji via carrier pigeon
Good luck with that. Let us know how everything turns out. Hopefully daddy won't take away your computer and internet access. My son talked to me like that, he'd be out on the street.

Some lessons are more difficult to learn than others.....

#28 ·
glock fan said:
UCChris said:
I layed down my ultimatum. If he is going to cow my rights in favor of appeasing the public, then he can pay for the Maine permit and NRA pistol course.

Hopefully daddy won't take away your computer and internet access
First off, I already pay for everything besides housing. I pay for my computer, Netflix, food, clothes, toiletries, wifi, phone, car, gas, and insurance. Plus, after I pay 10% tithing, 25% to my mission/college fund, and take my mom out to a nice lunch, I give the rest to him to help pay the mortgage.

He said that him paying for the permit and course was entirely reasonable since it was his problem that he doesn't like me OC'ing.

Also, he said he couldn't believe that I would risk getting kicked out just to carry a gun. He wants me to find him a pistol on UGE so he can come with me shooting and eventually carry (concealed of course...)

#29 ·
UCChris said:
glock fan said:
UCChris said:

Hopefully daddy won't take away your computer and internet access
First off, I already pay for everything besides housing. I pay for my computer, Netflix, food, clothes, toiletries, wifi, phone, car, gas, and insurance. Plus, after I pay 10% tithing, 25% to my mission/college fund, and take my mom out to a nice lunch, I give the rest to him to help pay the mortgage.

He said that him paying for the permit and course was entirely reasonable since it was his problem that he doesn't like me OC'ing.

Also, he said he couldn't believe that I would risk getting kicked out just to carry a gun. He wants me to find him a pistol on UGE so he can come with me shooting and eventually carry (concealed of course...)

Well good for you. I have my doubts as to the accuracy of the facts as presented, but it's on the internet, so it's gotta be true right?

Good luck to you.

#30 ·
glock fan said:
Well good for you. I have my doubts as to the accuracy of the facts as presented, but it's on the internet, so it's gotta be true right?

Good luck to you.
I may be misunderstanding, but I believe the connotation of your post is suggesting that I'm lying. If that is the case, I am more than happy to post a pic of us shooting together when he buys his firearm. I'd rather not be taken as a liar.

#31 ·
UCChris said:
I have and his response is that if a citizen can exercise their rights without scaring everybody (by concealing) then that's how they should have to do it.

If only other segments of society were forced to be as discreet about exercising their rights. I wonder what the reaction would be if someone went on record as saying homosexuals should exercise their right without scaring everybody (by public displays of affection).

I do think that as long as you are living in your dads house you should respect him enough to follow his rules, but I think his reasoning as to OC is flawed.

#32 ·
gravedancer said:
I do think that as long as you are living in your dads house you should respect him enough to follow his rules, but I think his reasoning as to OC is flawed.
I think this is key. It only took my father and I a day to reach a compromise, but I would like to say that during that time, in order to respect him, I did not carry my firearm.

#33 ·
My big plus for open carry is that it is 100% faster and 100% easier IMHO. Most people are simply faster at drawing with an OC holster than they are with a CCW holster. I know I am. I can knock half a second off my draw time if I don't have to clear my cover garment.

Plus some days I feel lazy and don't want to hide my gun. So I just carry it in an ALS holster. I haven't ever gotten comments on my firearm, good or bad though. I wouldn't really care either way. I carry a gun for me and mine, not for stupid punk teenagers.

That is not saying I wouldn't protect others if the situation allowed, just that I carry a firearm for my family, and I could care less about what anyone else thinks.

#34 ·
gskip33 said:
My big plus for open carry is that it is 100% faster and 100% easier IMHO. Most people are simply faster at drawing with an OC holster than they are with a CCW holster. I know I am. I can knock half a second off my draw time if I don't have to clear my cover garment.

Plus some days I feel lazy and don't want to hide my gun. So I just carry it in an ALS holster. I haven't ever gotten comments on my firearm, good or bad though. I wouldn't really care either way. I carry a gun for me and mine, not for stupid punk teenagers.

That is not saying I wouldn't protect others if the situation allowed, just that I carry a firearm for my family, and I could care less about what anyone else thinks.
If I could agree with you 1000 times over, I would. It is far faster and more comfortable for me (I'm trying to conceal an SD40) plus I believe it is a huge deterrent to armed robberies of whatever venue an OC'er is in.

#35 ·
Good for you on working it out with him, and maybe converting him more fully to the dark side (we have cookies, and cool challenge coins). I think your ultimatum worked because 1: You know him far better than any of us do and know far better what your real limits are and what magic buttons to push. and 2: because you gave him an option to allow you to carry yet still satisfy his fears.

Not sure why Glock came down on you so hard. Some people just don't like the idea of a kid having an opinion I guess.

Me I usually conceal because my EDC is a compact and my best holster for it is designed for concealment. But it's casual conceal only. It gets concealed better in the winter when I'm always wearing coats. But in summer a T-shirt will reveal it quite often. When/if I get the money for a larger frame weapon it will be primarily a OC weapon. In my years in the army my primary issue weapon has almost always been the 9mm and I prefer a leg drop to any other holster the military would let me use. And I will always support anyone who chooses to OC, because I also know that every little bit you can do to harden yourself as a target reduces the likelihood of being targeted and having that big chunk of metal in plain sight sends a bold "I am not an easy target" message to any would be criminals.

#36 ·
So your Dad makes you pay for all your toys, car, food and kick in some for rent? Sounds like a smart man that has you on your way to being a responsible productive member of society. I can understand his view on OC, I think I would have the same issue with a young person OC'ing as he does. I don't OC because I don't need the hassle and quite frankly I do feel that we are not doing our self's any favors by scaring the soccer Mom's or other people on the fence about gun control. The Starbucks OC deal worked out well didn't it.

I don't understand the posts claiming that CC is so hard, whats hard about it? Most of the time I guess I causal CC by wearing an OWB holster with a shirt covering the pistol but even carrying IWB isn't a big deal.

#37 ·
DaKnife said:
Good for you on working it out with him, and maybe converting him more fully to the dark side (we have cookies, and cool challenge coins). I think your ultimatum worked because 1: You know him far better than any of us do and know far better what your real limits are and what magic buttons to push. and 2: because you gave him an option to allow you to carry yet still satisfy his fears.

Having that big chunk of metal in plain sight sends a bold "I am not an easy target" message to any would be criminals.
Yes, I feel it is necessary to explain that I didn't throw down my ultimatum and then storm off. I told him why I feel very strongly that OC is a better choice for me, then told him if he just could not allow me to OC, then I would Luke him to pony up.

Also, your last sentence is the number one reason that I really, really want OC to be my primary carry style. Sure, there are times where CC is just the better option. I figure we keep our firearms with us "just in case" But what if I can prevent even that rare occurance?

Example: I'm CC and walking down the street with my girlfriend at night some time this summer. A big burly guy is coming towards us. I'm living in condition yellow so I notice him and I watch him as he passes. But as he passes he lunges towards my girlfriend. At this point I cannot use my pepper spray because I don't want to hit my girlfriend. However, I can draw my gun and talk him to the ground.

Option two: Same scenario, however I'm OC. One, he never lunges and if he does, I'm keeping him far enough away from us because I need a larger "safe distance" due to the need for extra weapon retention skills during OC. I use pepper spray because of the distance or if needs be, tdraw my firearm.

It seems to me that any way I look at it, OC is the better choice when it comes to personal crimes. Sure, in the case of a mass killing, I may be the first target but in the case of personal crimes, I think OC is way, way better.

#38 ·
muddy said:
So your Dad makes you pay for all your toys, car, food and kick in some for rent? Sounds like a smart man that has you on your way to being a responsible productive member of society. I can understand his view on OC, I think I would have the same issue with a young person OC'ing as he does. I don't OC because I don't need the hassle and quite frankly I do feel that we are not doing our self's any favors by scaring the soccer Mom's or other people on the fence about gun control. The Starbucks OC deal worked out well didn't it.

I don't understand the posts claiming that CC is so hard, whats hard about it? Most of the time I guess I causal CC by wearing an OWB holster with a shirt covering the pistol but even carrying IWB isn't a big deal.
I think OC'ing rifles is what scares lots of people. Most people don't even notice when you do OC a pistol and the ones who do notice assume you're a police officer.
I wouldn't saying CC is hard, I just think OC is easier. CC makes my pants tighter if anything and OC doesn't. So maybe I'm just fat lol.

#39 ·
gskip33 said:
So maybe I'm just fat lol.
X2. That's how I feel when I first put that cc holster on in then morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#40 ·
UCChris said:
DaKnife said:

Having that big chunk of metal in plain sight sends a bold "I am not an easy target" message to any would be criminals.
Yes, I feel it is necessary to explain that I didn't throw down my ultimatum and then storm off. I told him why I feel very strongly that OC is a better choice for me, then told him if he just could not allow me to OC, then I would Luke him to pony up.

Also, your last sentence is the number one reason that I really, really want OC to be my primary carry style. Sure, there are times where CC is just the better option. I figure we keep our firearms with us "just in case" But what if I can prevent even that rare occurance?

Example: I'm CC and walking down the street with my girlfriend at night some time this summer. A big burly guy is coming towards us. I'm living in condition yellow so I notice him and I watch him as he passes. But as he passes he lunges towards my girlfriend. At this point I cannot use my pepper spray because I don't want to hit my girlfriend. However, I can draw my gun and talk him to the ground.

Option two: Same scenario, however I'm OC. One, he never lunges and if he does, I'm keeping him far enough away from us because I need a larger "safe distance" due to the need for extra weapon retention skills during OC. I use pepper spray because of the distance or if needs be, tdraw my firearm.

It seems to me that any way I look at it, OC is the better choice when it comes to personal crimes. Sure, in the case of a mass killing, I may be the first target but in the case of personal crimes, I think OC is way, way better.

You should still give yourself room even if you CC. And the chances of someone seeing your gun because you are OCing at night is very unlikely, unless the area is very well lit or your gun is glowing.

Sent from iSnurd

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.