Utah Guns Forum banner

First Time Carrying a Gun, Snide Comments...

13K views 41 replies 12 participants last post by  UCChris 
#1 ·
First off, sorry for the rash of threads I've made lately. I think I've made three threads in the last 48 hours. :roll: Anyway, without further ado...

I went up to Layton to buy a "firearm" from a really nice guy. I figured why I was up there I might as well mosey on into "Get Some" Guns & Amoo up there to check out prices on .40 SW. Didn't expect any comments or nuthin' since it was a gun shop afterall. Nothing besides a compliment on my piece from the guy at the front desk. Then I ran down to Cabelas in Lehi to buy some pampering supplies for my new baby. No comments or looks there, but I had an interesting conversation with the firearms check-in guy. I walked up to him and told him I needed to check in my firearm since it was going to come out of the holster since I had a question about the front sight for the guys at the gun desk. He said that if the gun was loaded, as well as "Utah unloaded", I could not remove it from the holster even if I checked in. So, in order to pull my gun out to ask my questions, I needed to gun empty my magazine then come back in. Didn't want to disarm myself so I decided to forgo my question. As I walked out I passed by a group of 7-8 teenage boys, and a single girl, all around the age of 15 or so. One of them complimented my gun and the other asked if it was a 9 or 40. I was glad these guys were somewhat knowledgable, but no sooner had I thought that one of the guys asked me, in a very mocking tone, if I was in the CIA or if I was just some "censored" cop. Then the girl piped up saying that I was neither, but rather a "poser censored" Left a really bad taste in my mouth...

Anyway, that was my experience. I'm glad nobody freaked out, but I didn't really expect it. I wasn't expecting the snide comments though...

See less See more
#4 ·
Weapon has a bad connotation. A lot of people immediately think weapons are bad. The word is also used a lot with objects that are used in attacks. A hammer is a tool, but it can be a weapon if used to attack someone.

Same with firearms. They are tools, not weapons.

Sent from iSnurd

#6 ·
Tracy don't let Dave see you use that word!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

#7 ·
Weird and sad that the snarky teenagers bad mouthed you.

I guess I dont understand that mentality...they are all minors, they are invulnerable and showing off for their friends--their naïveté and childishness definitely shone through.

Don't let the shrill ones deter you. Keep exercising your rights, following the laws, and keep on keeping on.

I vote get your CC and then you will not need to deal with the trollololos

-Jay

#8 ·
Snurd said:
Weapon has a bad connotation. A lot of people immediately think weapons are bad. The word is also used a lot with objects that are used in attacks. A hammer is a tool, but it can be a weapon if used to attack someone.

Sent from iSnurd
:thumbsup:
Weapon implies intent. Anything can be used as a weapon if your intention is to do so.

Most who carry do not intend to do harm each time they suit up, but they are prepared to defend themselves (and possibly others) if the need arises. In which case the "tool" becomes a defensive firearm, not a weapon. If you must initiate an attack against multiple perps, then your firearm transitions from a defensive tool to an offensive tool or firearm.

#9 ·
Be prepared to deal with folks making comments when you OC. It happens and probably won't go away anytime soon. As long as you're following the law and know your stuff people generally don't go out of their way to mess with you. Don't sweat the small stuff.

#10 ·
glock fan said:
Be prepared to deal with folks making comments when you OC. It happens and probably won't go away anytime soon. As long as you're following the law and know your stuff people generally don't go out of their way to mess with you. Don't sweat the small stuff.
Thanks for the tips but as it stands now, my dad has banned my OC'ing. Says it scares the public and if I really wanted to make everyone safer, I'd keep my gun hidden.

Sent from Fiji via carrier pigeon

#13 ·
UCChris said:
glock fan said:
Thanks for the tips but as it stands now, my dad has banned my OC'ing. Says it scares the public and if I really wanted to make everyone safer, I'd keep my gun hidden.

Your dad banned you from OC? :huh: If I'm not mistaken, you need to be an adult to carry a handgun in Utah. Don't quite understand how your dad has that much control over you if you're an adult.

As for keeping your gun hidden, you will need to have a CC permit to do that. When I OC, I do run into people who are simply unaware of the legality of it. I've educated many as to their right to carry a firearm both concealed or open and under what circumstances (with or without a CC permit/license). I'll usually carry a bunch of business cards on me, so I often get some business out of the encounters as well.

OC isn't for everyone. If you're gonna do it, you need to have the right mindset and be even more aware of what's going on around you. Last thing you want happening is some thug attempting a gun grab.

#14 ·
glock fan said:
UCChris said:
glock fan said:

Your dad banned you from OC? :huh: If I'm not mistaken, you need to be an adult to carry a handgun in Utah. Don't quite understand how your dad has that much control over you if you're an adult.

As for keeping your gun hidden, you will need to have a CC permit to do that. When I OC, I do run into people who are simply unaware of the legality of it. I've educated many as to their right to carry a firearm both concealed or open and under what circumstances (with or without a CC permit/license). I'll usually carry a bunch of business cards on me, so I often get some business out of the encounters as well.

OC isn't for everyone. If you're gonna do it, you need to have the right mindset and be even more aware of what's going on around you. Last thing you want happening is some thug attempting a gun grab.
Yeah, I'm an adult but I'm still at home til I head on my LDS mission. He has the mindset that, even though I'm 18, my legal rights don't apply until I move out.

I realize that you have to have a different mindset. I thought about my decision to open carry for over three months before I actually did it. I don't know of very many 18 year holds that are mature enough to do that.

A little insight into my dad's thinking. He says that open carriers are like the women that protest outside the conference center during the priesthood session. They could quietly protest (conceal carry in my example) but they choose the most confrontational thing to do (open carry in my example) My dad fully believes that the only reason people open carry is because they like to flaunt their gun and get a rise out of people.

#15 ·
That's a bad analogy by your dad. These are two entirely different issues. The women outside the conference center think that women should hold the priesthood. That is 100% against the beliefs and teachings of the LDS church.

Open carrying is legal in Utah and you would be exercising a right, not going against what your religion teaches you.

Sent from iSnurd

#16 ·
Snurd said:
That's a bad analogy by your dad. These are two entirely different issues. The women outside the conference center think that women should hold the priesthood. That is 100% against the beliefs and teachings of the LDS church.

Open carrying is legal in Utah and you would be exercising a right, not going against what your religion teaches you.

Sent from iSnurd
I agree with you, but I ain't going to be the one to tell him. He is one scary dude.

#17 ·
Ask him why any honest citizen shod ever need to hide his firearm? That's why we have cc permits in the first place. Because honest people didn't try to hide the fact that they were armed. A few did in fact have a legitimate need to conceal, so a permit to carry concealed was created, giving tge honest citizen a chance to prove his law abiding intent, by the mere fact that he went through the steps to get said permit. This is why most such permits were created as "May Issue" permits. As they required a reasonable cause for acting like a dishonest sneak like a card sharp, gambler or other con man.

Your father's house, his rules but dig into the history of concealed carry, the many relevant threads on this site, especially on this OC subforum, where far more positive than negative public encounters are presented.

That fact is the public in Utah is NOT scared by OC. They are used to it and more will thank you than panic or even make snarky comments like those teens.

Tapatalking via my Galaxy S4

#19 ·
Snurd said:

Sent from iSnurd
I carry a weapon. Wouldn't be much good if it weren't. PC be darned.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

#20 ·
althor said:
Snurd said:

Sent from iSnurd
I carry a weapon. Wouldn't be much good if it weren't. PC be darned.

I carry a firearm and defensive tool.

Sent from iSnurd

#21 ·
UCChris said:
DaKnife said:
Ask him why any honest citizen should ever need to hide his firearm?
I have and his response is that if a citizen can exercise their rights without scaring everybody (by concealing) then that's how they should have to do it.

Ahh but there is the rub, you, an honest law abiding citizen cannot exercise your rights by concealing it (yet). The only way to 100% legally and lawfully exercise your right to self defense is to carry openly. And the irrational fears of the "public" be ******, it is your right to defend yourself. The public has no corresponding right to not be scared by their hoplophobia.

But of course you have to live within his rules. And he sounds set in his irrational fear of irrational fears by this nebulous public.

Tapatalking via my Galaxy S4

#22 ·
DaKnife said:
UCChris said:
DaKnife said:
I have and his response is that if a citizen can exercise their rights without scaring everybody (by concealing) then that's how they should have to do it.

he sounds set in his irrational fear of irrational fears by this nebulous public.
That he is. I layed down my ultimatum. If he is going to cow my rights in favor of appeasing the public, then he can pay for the Maine permit and NRA pistol course.

#23 ·
UCChris said:
DaKnife said:
UCChris said:
DaKnife said:

he sounds set in his irrational fear of irrational fears by this nebulous public.
That he is. I layed down my ultimatum. If he is going to cow my rights in favor of appeasing the public, then he can pay for the Maine permit and NRA pistol course.

??? Perhaps he'll have an ultimatum of his own.

#24 ·
UCChris said:
Yeah, I'm an adult but I'm still at home til I head on my LDS mission. He has the mindset that, even though I'm 18, my legal rights don't apply until I move out.

I realize that you have to have a different mindset. I thought about my decision to open carry for over three months before I actually did it. I don't know of very many 18 year holds that are mature enough to do that.
And honestly, speaking as a parent, it's completely reasonable for him to impose rules on you, 18 or not, if you are still living under his roof, accepting his support, etc. regardless of whether I agree with his views on OC or not, I definately won't vilify him for imposing them on you while you're under his roof.

#25 ·
DaKnife said:
That fact is the public in Utah is NOT scared by OC. They are used to it and more will thank you than panic or even make snarky comments like those teens.
Id agree if the OP were in his 40s. Being a teenager, he may get more snarky comments, especially from his peers, than what you and I would get.

#26 ·
althor said:
??? Perhaps he'll have an ultimatum of his own.

I know I would if I were his parent and received an ultimatum from a child that still lived in my house. If you are legally an adult, and living on your own, then at that point you have the right to stop listening to/obeying your father. If I had an 18 year old son that didnt like my rules and gave me an ultimatum, the outcome would definately be something other and less pleasant than what he probably expected going into the conversation. He might quickly find out just what it was like to truly be out from under my rules, along with my house, my finances, "his" car if it was still in my name, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.