Utah Guns Forum banner

Pulled Over This Morning

3K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  UtahJarhead 
#1 ·
Wanted to share my experience from early this morning:

I was on my way home from work early this morning (2:30am-ish), when I was pulled over by an Ogden police officer.

Backing up just a bit, I had stopped at the Smith's fuel station located at 12th and Harrison Blvd to fill up my van. As I was leaving the Smith's parking lot, turning onto 12th street, I noticed a police officer drive past. As I pulled out onto 12th, he flipped around. My wife was in the car with me and I said to her, "I'm going to get pulled over". Her response was, "What for? You haven't done anything."

Sure enough, a few seconds later, the lights came on, and I pulled over. I rolled down the window and turned on the interior lights and put my hands on the steering wheel. The officer approached and the conversation went something like this:

Me: Good morning

OPD: Good morning, I pulled you over because you didn't come to a complete stop before you pulled onto 12th street.

Me: OK (I was neither agreeing with him nor disagreeing - just acknowledging what he was saying).

OPD: I'm not going to write you a ticket, but I'd like to see your license and registration.

Me: OK. I just want to let you know that I have a CFP and I am currently carrying. (My pistol was not concealed in the sense that it was covered by clothing - it was simply in a holster on my right hip, out of sight of the officer).

OPD: Are you going to shoot me with it?

Me: (laughing) Absolutely not!

OPD: We never have problems with the permit holders, it's only the guys without them that we have problems with.

Me: (at this point I asked my wife to get the registration out of the glove box and I was in the process of giving the officer my license)

OPD: You know, forget the registration, let me just see your license. (I handed him my license).
OPD: I'm also doing seat-belt patrol tonight and seeing that you two are wearing your belts, I'm just going to wish you a good night and remind you to come to a complete stop.

Me: Thank you, officer. (At this point, the officer got back in his car, took off and pulled another driver over)

Now, I am no fan of the police, in general. However, I felt that this officer, whose name I did not get, handled the stop in a professional manner. He was friendly and did not "blow a gasket" over a citizen carrying a firearm. He gave me a verbal warning and let me go.

Could I have done anything differently? Well, afterward I remembered that I don't need a permit to carry a loaded firearm in a vehicle and that I'm not required to actually tell him anything about it. However, I felt that, under the circumstances (late at night, etc.) that it was probably better to be up front and tell him than have something go wrong and have him find out some other way.

See less See more
#2 ·
That pullout onto 12th street used to force people to come to a complete stop for fear of bottoming out and scraping asphalt! Most of OPD are good guys. My only complaint is that they hired Davenport.

#4 ·
UtahJarhead said:
That pullout onto 12th street used to force people to come to a complete stop for fear of bottoming out and scraping asphalt! Most of OPD are good guys. My only complaint is that they hired Davenport.
Remind me: Wasn't Davenport the former UHP officer who was caught punching a woman in the face during a stop?

#6 ·
mkeeney said:
UtahJarhead said:
Remind me: Wasn't Davenport the former UHP officer who was caught punching a woman in the face during a stop?
That's the one!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.