Utah Guns Forum banner

American Fork Cinemark Theater

5K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  UtahJarhead 
#1 ·
Hello all,

Just had my first theater based incident related to OC. The Mrs. and I decided to see a late movie this evening and arrived at the AF Cine-mark just a few minutes before the scheduled start time to 10:20. We purchased our tickets, purchased our sodas and popcorn and proceeded into the designated theater for our selected movie.
We were the ONLY 2 in the theater. After a few minutes of previews a "suit" with a Mr. somebody name tag on enters the theater and makes his way toward us on the row in front of us. Once he is about 5 feet away he begins, "do you...." After a pregnant pause of about 5 seconds or so both my wife and I ask "do we have a what?" The he says, "weapon--- we don't allow those here."
I immediately stand up and state that we will be needing full refunds for our refreshments and tickets. He follows us out of the theater. We get the refund for the refreshments and then out to the ticket office for the ticket refunds. After getting the money, I tell the ticket person that my wife and I "have been attending movies at that location for YEARS and have never had a problem before. But Now, we will NOT be back to do business with them."

All done without raised or angry voices or LEO involvement. Now, since I think the wife and I were the ONLY 2 patrons I saw in the theater, I don't know if this was just the managers excuse to send everyone home early after we left or not.

I know that Cinemark Corp. does not like weapons, but was rationalizing that since I had never had an issue I would continue to patronize while OC'ing until I did have an issue.

See less See more
#3 ·
Kudos to you for doing what you think is right!

Megaplex is no longer anti-gun. Just FYI. They used to say no firearms. Now they say something to the effect of "No illegal firearms per <Concealed Firearm Act Statute number>"

#6 ·
I went on Sat to the new West Valley Cinemark to see GOTG. I didn't really look on the door going in but when buying tickets my wife pointed out a "Firearms Prohibited" statement at the very bottom sign standing on their counter. I shrugged, she shrugged and we both walked in with our concealed firearms on our hips. I have been to this theater 3 times recently and 2 of the times they had a police office standing near the ticket booth. Not sure what they are looking for but I was never made by them. :dunno:

#7 ·
UtahJarhead said:
Megaplex is no longer anti-gun. Just FYI. They used to say no firearms. Now they say something to the effect of "No illegal firearms per <Concealed Firearm Act Statute number>"
How recent is this? I haven't been to a Megaplex theater for probably a month but I remember that no weapons sign for a long time.

#8 ·
benh said:
UtahJarhead said:
How recent is this? I haven't been to a Megaplex theater for probably a month but I remember that no weapons sign for a long time.
It's in the fine print :wink:

#9 ·
benh said:
UtahJarhead said:
The past year or so.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.