Utah Guns Forum banner

A concern about my local police.

7K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  Mazellan 
#1 ·
I have a radio that I can listen to dispatch, the city, county and state police in my area.
I have been using it to put some background noise while I work. I have found it to be informational, entertaining and sometimes downright funny. I have also found it to be concerning when it involves how the city police react to someone who is armed.

"Disclaimer" Now I understand that I am not there and cannot see the situation. I also appreciate my local police force and think they do a good job.

1. A LEO witness a man and his wife walking into a gas station. Man is open carrying in a holster. (This was stated by the LEO) he then calls for backup and stops them as they come out of the store. Calls in to check for warrants and to see if he is legal to carry. Comes back clean. He then asks dispatch if it shows a CFP. Comes back as no. He then makes the comment to dispatch that he is just walking around with a gun on his hip. I do not know what happen, but I do know there was no one taken to jail. No case number given.
Now I do not know if the gun was chambered but I thought that just having a gun was not probable cause to check

2. Leo Pulls over a vehicle for not making a complete stop at a stop sign on a right turn. Runs the plates then makes a call for immediate backup lights and sirens because he sees a gun in the vehicle. Sirens can be heard zipping up the street outside my house and all over town. This is at 11 - 12 at night. Listening to the radio sounds like they had him at gun point as they detained him and secured the weapon. Running license it comes back as having a CFP. Then he reads the guns Serial number and that it is a rock island 1911 ……… unfortunately I had to step away but on returning I did not hear any in rout to jail or case number. But the leo did thank everyone for a quick response to his call for backup.

My thoughts:

I would absolutely not like to be stopped just for walking out of a store. I carry all the time on my person under a shirt. But really I have never been concerned if it prints or shows. I have only ever had one person say anything and that was at a gas station when I got my wallet out. Casher asked what I was carrying. I would hate to be out with my wife and young son and have a police officer (someone my son should look at as a good Guy) treat me like a criminal.

I also never want to be ordered out of my car at gun point for doing something completely legal.

There have been a number of things I hear all the time over the radio regarding Weapons besides the two I have mentioned.
I was wondering if there is a letter or a email I can send to the chef asking about the training they have had on the carry of guns.
Any thoughts ( I know I know Let me have it)
Sorry for the speed at which this was typed Misspelled words and crap punctuation..

See less See more
#3 ·
Do/Can you ever record any of it? Would be interesting to take into the police station or send to the chief with your concerns for your rights and safety. People have been shot when the police think they have gun and turns out they didn't. Shouldn't be an issue if your compliant but sometimes one honest comment about how things are handled can be taken as non compliance.

I can see calling for backup because cops can get shot at traffic stops and I am sure the stories are well circulated, but having them at gun point the whole time with no other offense seems extreme. Seems the firearm could have been sorted with a couple questions assuming it was not in the drivers hand.

#6 ·
Uinta Firearms said:
Wow! I'm going to turn my cell phone app to that channel just to hear this. I thought Chicago was bad.

"The truth of the matter is that you always know the right thing to do. The hard part is doing it." -Norman Schwarzkopf
Which App do you use/like the best?

#7 · (Edited by Moderator)
What is the brand of radio? I, with my vast electronics experience, could easily put together an earphone or ext. speaker rig that would route audio to a recording device as well as allow you to still listen to the "background noise."

Schematic.jpg

Attachments

#9 ·
I used to live in Brigham city. The cops were all afraid of my father. One day a car backfired going down our street and the cops got called. It really did sound like gunshots. 7 police cars and 3 hours later it was determined we weren't shooting at anyone.

By the way Dad never have them a reason not to trust him or got in trouble he was just a big guy.

#13 ·
As I have gone from open carrying as an 18 year old to conceal carrying with a Maine permit, I have become more and more wary of open carry. Or, rather, LEO's response to open carry.

Disclaimer: I do not hate LEO's. I love them.

With that being said, it think LEO's are becoming increasingly trigger happy as a whole. I had no issues when I open carried, but I don't get around much. I am grateful that I can just hide my gun now. Especially with situations like these. I, for one, do not like the thought of being shot by an over-zealous cop that felt threatened by my open carry piece.

#14 ·
As for recording it while listening to it is rather easy if your scanner has a headphone output. Get a headphone splitter from walmart. Use a cord, like the one to route sound to an auxiliary input in a car, and route it to the mice input on a computer. Then route the other end of the splitter to either a set of speakers or headphones. Then on the computer just use the sound recorder to record the feed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.