Utah Guns Forum banner

Man, Don't shoot me!!!!!

7K views 16 replies 10 participants last post by  bagpiper 
#1 ·
Yep, this was what I was greeted with by an employee of a Gas Station in North Orem where I regularly purchase my ETHANOL free mid grade fuel for my trike. His statement was accompanied by his raising of his hands above his head.

My Response:

"NOT FUNNY! I don't appreciate your attempt at humor that can get me shot and killed!" He responds with a "what?" To which, "So someone just hears your statement about "don't shoot me" and they don't see me or anything else. They call the cops in response to your "humor" which they don't see as "humor" and then I get shot and killed."

At this point it is between him and me. IF he repeats I'll involve his employer!

#2 ·
I always have a hard time walking that line between making sure people don't do stupid stuff-and calling them out, and being a "nice guy" and making them not feel like they got chewed out by the only guy they have talked to that is OC'ing. In this instance I think your impromptu butt - chewing was quite well deserved. Always amazes me how stupid some people can be with their mouth.

#3 ·
It isn't the first time I've been presented with this situation. It is the first time I took the Bull by the horns on the first encounter. Previously, after several "repeats" by the counter guy at a different location, he and I talked. He hasn't repeated it.

#7 ·
Snurd said:
althor said:
Count me on the side that thinks you overreacted to something that was kind of funny.
That depends on how the employee said it.

Sent from iSnurd
It depends a lot on the situation too. If they were the only two people in the store, is would be unlikely to become any kind of issue. On the other hand, a crowded store might be more of a problem.

While I don't think this was a funny joke, I think the OP may have been overstating his case just a little bit. The chances are remote, if police were called, that they would come and shoot you while you were picking out your favorite doughnut from the rack (firearm holstered). Not that the employee's statement couldn't create a dangerous situation given the right set of circumstances, but the specific example used is unlikely.

this is just my opinion, but I would try to keep things a little more simple in a similar situation. "hey man, that isn't a funny joke. Somebody might take you seriously."

In most cases, I'd say people like this are nervous, and trying to hide it the only way they know how. Through humor.

#8 ·
Considering the current talk of SWATting carriers by the haters, it is an appropriate response. Sorry but for the time being the humor of such a joke is gone. That doesn't mean it requires hostility in the response but such comments do need to be put firmly to bed.

#9 ·
Doctor Jenks said:
Snurd said:
althor said:
Count me on the side that thinks you overreacted to something that was kind of funny.
That depends on how the employee said it.
Sent from iSnurd
It depends a lot on the situation too. If they were the only two people in the store, is would be unlikely to become any kind of issue. On the other hand, a crowded store might be more of a problem.
While I don't think this was a funny joke, I think the OP may have been overstating his case just a little bit. The chances are remote, if police were called, that they would come and shoot you while you were picking out your favorite doughnut from the rack (firearm holstered). Not that the employee's statement couldn't create a dangerous situation given the right set of circumstances, but the specific example used is unlikely.
this is just my opinion, but I would try to keep things a little more simple in a similar situation. "hey man, that isn't a funny joke. Somebody might take you seriously."
In most cases, I'd say people like this are nervous, and trying to hide it the only way they know how. Through humor.
Given the fact that the greatest number of armed robberies occur in convenience stores most often associated with the dispensing of fuel (gas stations),
...the employee's statement could create a dangerous situation given the right set of circumstances...
Overreacting on the part of someone overhearing the comment is what we want to avoid.

The clerk obviously lacks the maturity or ability to discern how his comments could be interpreted by anyone within earshot.

I'm all for creating a situation where learning can occur. In this case, one with enough intense, emotional experience to drive the point home.

#10 ·
Or out by the gas pumps with others on the other side of the pumps who don't have a direct line of sight on me, So they have NO IDEA THE IDIOT WAS BEING FREAKING A STUPID IN HIS JOKE!.... Now, I might have over-reacted! :spit:

#11 ·
althor said:
I don't take ANYTHING as "funny" that has the potential to kill me by the STUPIDITY OF OTHERS!

Edited to add: My comments to him was all make in a calm NON-YELLING voice while I was handling the filling of the trike fuel tank and before I went INTO the store to actually pay.

#12 ·
JoeSparky said:
althor said:
I don't take ANYTHING as "funny" that has the potential to kill me by the STUPIDITY OF OTHERS!
I don't either, but I think the 'potential' is greatly overstated... to me the threat ranks right up there with leaving the house in the morning to go to work. .
Edited to add: My comments to him was all make in a calm NON-YELLING voice while I was handling the filling of the trike fuel tank and before I went INTO the store to actually pay.

#13 ·
althor said:
JoeSparky said:
althor said:
I don't either, but I think the 'potential' is greatly overstated... to me the threat ranks right up there with leaving the house in the morning to go to work. .
Right up there UNTIL it IS taken as a real problem.

Sort of like--- Not carrying your firearm because it isn't likely or probable that one will need it. I don't carry my firearm because I expect to need to use it, but rather in great hopes that I'll never need it. Think of spare tires, auto insurance, or smoke/fire detectors in the home but with the firearm one has a CONSTITUTIONALLY protected RIGHT to bare arms!

#15 ·
Wasn't the counter guy. At this location they have "lot boys" to help customers and not all pumps have card readers.

#16 ·
I thoroughly agree with Joe on this.
Unthinking Man With A Gun calls probably get a LOT of innocent people killed by trigger happy, nervous, LEOs.
This happened just this month in Dayton, Ohio.
Walmart gunman's family: 'They didn't even give him a chance'
Cops shoot and kill man holding toy gun in Wal-Mart

This story is on going. Walmart video shows that the man was pointing the air rifle down at the ground when he was shot and hadn't been pointing it an anyone. Or, at least, that's what another report on line has stated.

EDIT: Here's a more current update of this story: Dayton-Area Walmart Shooting: Was An Innocent Man SWATted to Death?

#17 ·
AlanM said:
I thoroughly agree with Joe on this.
Unthinking Man With A Gun calls probably get a LOT of innocent people killed by trigger happy, nervous, LEOs.
This happened just this month in Dayton, Ohio.
I expect that this is most police officers' worst nightmare. I expect cops to be very careful in using deadly force. At the same time, I recognize the limits of human ability and I don't really expect cops to wait to get shot before returning fire.

Fred Reed's most recent column starts by frankly acknowledging the current police state with cops kicking in doors and start shooting. He then goes on to discuss the challenges that even the best intentioned of cops face when it comes to simply surviving, especially when patrolling in areas that are openly hostile to some of the laws currently on the books. Without going too far off topic, I'd suggest this is yet another evidence in favor of far more federalism and State/local diversity of laws and culture. If a State/neighborhood really doesn't care about drinking in public or even public intoxication, a little gambling in public, etc, so be it. Areas that do want to limit or ban such public conduct should do so. And we should all vote with our feet to live in areas whose culture and laws suite us.

Back on topic, as gun owners we have both the burden and advantage of astutely understanding the challenges faced by someone determining whether he is in danger sufficient to warrant the use of deadly force. Unlike we who get to and are encouraged to run away from trouble, police officers are expected (even if not legally required) to run toward trouble.

Knowing how to avoid looking like a threat to a peace officer (or other private gun owner) is a crucial part of our training. Most of us are probably much more likely to have interactions with police officers than we are to ever have to use our gun in self defense against a criminal.

Charles

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.