Utah Guns Forum banner

Open carry on UTA

11K views 29 replies 13 participants last post by  UtahJarhead 
#1 ·
http://www.sltrib.com/news/2034942-155/ ... weapons-on

Lawmaker wants to allow weapons on public transit

New state Rep. Norm Thurston, R-Provo, says if people can legally carry a gun or weapon on the street, they should be able to do that on public buses and trains, too.

"Did you know it's a crime if an otherwise law-abiding person carries a weapon onto a bus or UTA [Utah Transit Authority] train?" he said. "Why would that be a crime?"

So Thurston is working on legislation to change a portion of state law that deals with hijacking. He said a constituent pointed out a problem with part of it.

The law says, "A person who boards a bus with a concealed dangerous weapon or firearm upon his person or effects is guilty of a third-degree felony."

It does exempt people with permits to carry concealed weapons, or people carrying them with the permission of the owner of the bus or train.

Thurston says the law, as written, could allow police to arrest innocent people carrying items they don't consider to be dangerous weapons.
it's funny on facebook people are flipping out about OMG GUNS!!!!!!!!!! runaway!!!! I dont usually see that but it is on the Tribs FB page

#28 ·
D-FIN said:
Snurd said:
Shay.ca said:
So WITH a permit you can ride the uta trains or busses concealed?

I don't generally ride either but it's good to know. Always thought you could go anywhere except fed buildings, post office, court, less church buildings, secure area of mental hospital ect.
WITH a permit you can conceal or open carry on a UTA train or bus. WITHOUT a permit it is a felony to do so.

Here is the law:

http://le.utah.gov/xcode/Title76/Chapte ... 0118000101

.....snip.....

(4) (a) A person who boards a bus with a concealed dangerous weapon or firearm upon his person or effects is guilty of a third degree felony.
(b) The prohibition of Subsection (4)(a) does not apply to:
(i) individuals listed in Subsections 76-10-523(1)(a), (b), (c), (d), and (e);
(ii) a person licensed to carry a concealed weapon; or
(iii) persons in possession of weapons or firearms with the consent of the owner of the bus or the owner's agent, or the lessee or bailee of the bus.
Sent from iSnurd
So In This Section:
(4) (a) A person who boards a bus with a concealed dangerous weapon or firearm upon his person or effects is guilty of a third degree felony.
I do not see any problem with the way the law is written. It clearly states that if you board a bus with a concealed weapon and are not exempted - the exemptions are also clearly stated - you committed a third degree felony. If UTA is trying to enforce a blanket ban on firearms without a CFP then they are clearly in violation of state preemption laws.

The only possible ambiguity I can see is whether or not they want to consider my pocket knife a concealed weapon.

#29 ·
Regarding the last few posts---- I was under the impression that Utah required all hunting to be done with center fired hollow point ammo---- Is this not the case? And since some may carry a "concealed" firearm with ball ammo then they would be in violation of the hunting regs to use that for the "hunt"!

I fully acknowledge that once a "concealed" firearm is drawn it ain't concealled no more! :swat:

#30 ·
JoeSparky, it does need to be centerfire* (because rimfire doesn't come in big enough caliber), but not hollow point. It DOES need to be lead core and NOT fmj, so the tip is unexposed lead (not necessarily hollow). There are also minimum caliber restrictions, but I don't know what they are.

As the state makes the hunting regulations, nothing in the legislature allows them to restrict the mere possession of another firearm while hunting, regardless of the type of ammunition within that second firearm. USING that second firearm to take an animal is another story altogether.

* rimfire ammo can be used to take small game. Rabbits, *****, etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.