Utah Guns Forum banner

UVU and UofU OC

11K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  UtahJarhead 
#1 ·
Hey y'all,

So I know there was a whole big issue with open carry at the U and UVU but I never heard, did that get resolved? Are we still fighting this? I'm currently at UVU and their police page says, "There is nothing specifically set forth in the Utah statutes that allows a concealed firearm permit holder to carry that firearm openly on a college campus." As far as I understand it that is false, correct? Doesn't the CFP expressly allow that? Any input to the current situation is appreciated.

Cheers.

#2 ·
I think the answer you are looking for is here 76-10-505.5

I'll post the link. I don't see anything prohibiting a cfp holder from carrying on a college campus any way he/she pleases.

Laws are not allowance-based, the don't tell you what you CAN do, rather what you cant. And in this case, a cfp gives you an exception.

Please correct me if I am wrong guys.

http://le.utah.gov/~code/TITLE76/htm/76_10_050505.htm

#3 ·
J_dazzle23 said:
SirGentleman said:
Hey y'all,

So I know there was a whole big issue with open carry at the U and UVU but I never heard, did that get resolved? Are we still fighting this? I'm currently at UVU and their police page says, "There is nothing specifically set forth in the Utah statutes that allows a concealed firearm permit holder to carry that firearm openly on a college campus." As far as I understand it that is false, correct? Doesn't the CFP expressly allow that? Any input to the current situation is appreciated.

Cheers.

I'll post the link. I don't see anything prohibiting a cfp holder from carrying on a college campus any way he/she pleases.

Laws are not allowance-based, the don't tell you what you CAN do, rather what you cant. And in this case, a cfp gives you an exception.

Does section 4 require ALL of A-D to be true, or does just one of those need to be true? Like maybe they are justifying it by using 4b and saying it's not approved? Does that make sense?

#4 ·
SirGentleman said:
J_dazzle23 said:
SirGentleman said:
Hey y'all,

Cheers.

Does section 4 require ALL of A-D to be true, or does just one of those need to be true? Like maybe they are justifying it by using 4b and saying it's not approved? Does that make sense?
It is a list, as indicated by a semicolon (in my non-law degree opinion).

I don't see any way that all could be met in any instance- for example how could a and d both be met at the same time as the restriction on school grounds?

I'd love to see more clarification on that here from others. If I'm not mistaken, major nickmo probably had some unique insight here.

#5 ·
Wasn't Utah_patriot in some sort of legal battle with the U over this similar issue? Does anybody have any current info on it? I'd like to OC at UVU, but since I'm still a student there, I'd hate to face disciplinary action for doing so, whether or not it's legal. I dunno. The whole thing irks me, as I'm sure it irks many of the rest of you.

#6 ·
The list does not say "and" so it is not a cumulative exemption where one must meet a,b,c, AND d.

It is written as exemptions are: a,b,c, OR d! So, any one or more exempts one from the law!

Not a student at UVU.... But I'll join the UVU Republican club to give me a legal reason to be on campus and I do OPEN Carry 95% of the time!

#7 ·
Utah_Patriot wasn't in a legal BATTLE, per se... but he was in talks with them. It looked like it was making progress, but in the end, the U president told him to go stuff it and their interpretation would remain.

As to a-d, it specifically says 'or' in 76-10-505.5(4)(c), so you must only meet a single criteria to be exempt from the firearms law about possession on a school campus.

The criteria those two schools are using to attempt to ban Open Carry is that the possession of a CONCEALED firearm permit is what allows carry, therefore it must be concealed.

The law does NOT support that contention.

#8 ·
UtahJarhead said:
Utah_Patriot wasn't in a legal BATTLE, per se... but he was in talks with them. It looked like it was making progress, but in the end, the U president told him to go stuff it and their interpretation would remain.

As to a-d, it specifically says 'or' in 76-10-505.5(4)(c), so you must only meet a single criteria to be exempt from the firearms law about possession on a school campus.

The criteria those two schools are using to attempt to ban Open Carry is that the possession of a CONCEALED firearm permit is what allows carry, therefore it must be concealed.

The law does NOT support that contention.
Basically, were back where we were a for the past few years. We need someone with deep pockets to go OC on campus, get cited/arrested, and become the legal guinea pig to get some case law on the subject established, to put this to bed once and for all.

#9 ·
Since this seems to be CAMPUS LAW not UTAH LAW how do the CIty PD handle it if called in since no law was broken. Does the UofU have it's own court/jail/prison to incarcerate those who broke CAMPUS LAW but are perfectly legal in the rest of the state. Seems to me the police including the ones that work on campus swore to uphold UTAH LAW not CAMPUS LAW.

#10 ·
D-FIN said:
Since this seems to be CAMPUS LAW not UTAH LAW how do the CIty PD handle it if called in since no law was broken. Does the UofU have it's own court/jail/prison to incarcerate those who broke CAMPUS LAW but are perfectly legal in the rest of the state. Seems to me the police including the ones that work on campus swore to uphold UTAH LAW not CAMPUS LAW.
Campuses are state institutions. All cops are POST certified and within their jurisdiction to handle it. Campuses typically DO have their own Police Departments. They're subject to the same laws as any other police agency in Utah.

There has been no legal "test case" to attempt to resolve this.

#11 ·
UtahJarhead said:
D-FIN said:
Campuses are state institutions. All cops are POST certified and within their jurisdiction to handle it. Campuses typically DO have their own Police Departments. They're subject to the same laws as any other police agency in Utah.

There has been no legal "test case" to attempt to resolve this.
I know hence the purdy Sarcasm font color..... :lol2:

#15 ·
SirGentleman said:
I'm currently at UVU and their police page says, "There is nothing specifically set forth in the Utah statutes that allows a concealed firearm permit holder to carry that firearm openly on a college campus."
The quote is accurate...and irrelevant.

State preemption statute at 76-10-500 requires the school to follow State laws with regard to firearms. They can do nothing more restrictive than State law. And no where does State law impose any requirement on a permit holder to conceal his firearm whether on or off a college campus.

In other words, the school's statement is accurate and deceitful.

But they are quite good at intimidating. They can threaten. And unless they actually cite you, it never goes to a judge unless you've got the wherewithal to sue them.

And if in the course of them browbeating or threatening you, you make any mistake in terms of creating a disturbance, threatening an officer (or anyone else), etc, etc, they get to issue a citation for a real crime, expel you, and probably claim it as evidence of the problems of OCing.

Obviously, they have more leverage over students and employees than they do over visitors to campus.

The Universities seem intent to push gun owners into the very closet recently vacated by the sexual minorities.

It is an issue that is being worked with State government. Bring it up with candidates this election season.

Charles

#16 ·
Actually, Charles. I think the quote is VERY relevant! The fact that they're mentioning it shows that they're grasping at straws and admitting that there's no statute that specifically bans it, either.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.