Utah Guns Forum banner

Witnessed an interesting police encounter last night

13K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  J_dazzle23 
#1 ·
So I thought I would share an interesting event I witnessed last night on Canyon Road in Provo. I was driving home a few blocks from a park with a couple of my kids and saw police lights up ahead. As we approached I noticed several police cars had pulled over a truck and there was a man standing near the rear of the truck. The police, who had weapons drawn including one officer with his shotgun were ordering the man to put his hands on his head. He complied and I noticed he had an openly carried handgun in a holster on his right hip. The first thought that popped into my head was that this could possibly be an open carry stop, and I was very curious about what was going on since there were so many police and weapons being pointed at this person. However considering that I had my kids in the car I passed as safely as I could, noticing more officers arriving. I dropped the kids off at my home and drove back to the scene which by this time had calmed down tremendously. Weapons were put away, and the man was calmly sitting on the tailgate of his truck. Soon all but 3 officers drove away and the man appeared to be talking and joking with the officers. I remained on the opposite side of the street and made sure not to interfere with what was going on, I simply observed. I thought that I might wait until the stop was done and ask either the officers or the man what the situation was to find out if there was some reason that warranted such a response from the police, or if it was simply a call on a "man with a gun" who might be legally open carrying. I am not saying that is what was going on, because I do not know for sure, and when I called the police records today I was informed that there was a call about a truck that was following someone, but they didn't have any other details. Again it appeared that everything was calm and fine very quickly after the stop, but it was interesting to see such a strong response from police, and it was good to see that none was injured.

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.