Utah Guns Forum banner

Open carry rules in Utah

6K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Boostjuice 
#1 ·
I'm new to Utah and currently shopping/researching for my first handgun (I own an AR and a 12ga for about a decade now) and I'd like to be as informed as possible before stepping into the handgun world.

I am 99% sold on a glock 19 gen 4 however I will most likely be open carrying in order to use the money I'd spend on the CCP for a training class or two first.

My question is what are the rules for open carry in Utah?

Is owb with my shirt over it "concealed"? Even if the muzzle is sticking out and its printing?

I guess, what are the specifics to open carry?

#2 ·
Without a permit open carry is just fine. You need to be two actions away from firing. So a Glock 19 could have a full mag, but no round in the chamber. Rack the slide, pull the trigger. Two actions. If you have your shirt over the gun, you are concealing, and that is illegal without a CFP, unless you are at your house or in your car. You must keep it visible.

You also need to stay away from school zones. That's 1000 feet away from a school, unless you are in your car driving past or if your house is within that zone. You cannot hop on a train or bus either with your gun unless you have a CFP. There are other places you can't carry, but most of them you can't carry there even with a CFP.

I highly recommend getting your CFP so you don't have to worry about some really dumb laws. It's only about $100 or so for the CFP depending on who you take it from. That will include the class and the background check from BCI. Well worth doing it now.

#3 ·
I have to agree with Tracy on this one. You can maybe take one training class with the money you save by waiting on the CCP. It's entirely too easy to forget and throw on a jacket or windbreaker and accidentally conceal or partially conceal. And honestly, the school zone thing alone makes it worth having.

If you shop around a little you can probably get your CCP class for $75 or a little less unless prices have gone way up since the last time I paid attention.

Mel

#4 ·
Title 76 Chapter 10 Section 501
(3) (a) "Concealed dangerous weapon" means a dangerous weapon that is:

(i) covered, hidden, or secreted in a manner that the public would not be aware of its presence; and

(ii) readily accessible for immediate use.
In Utah, if you are in an urban area, you are likely as not to be within 1,000 feet of a school...something to think about.

#9 ·
https://www.atf.gov/files/publications/ ... 5300-4.pdf

School zone defined by the Feds:
(25) The term "school zone" means-
(A) in, or on the grounds of, a public, parochial or private school; or
(B) within a distance of 1,000 feet from the grounds of a public, parochial or private school.
(26) The term "school" means a school which provides elementary or secondary education, as determined under State law.
Law:
(2) (A) It shall be unlawful for any in- dividual knowingly to possess a firearm that has moved in or that otherwise af- fects interstate or foreign commerce at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a school zone.
(B) Subparagraph (A) does not apply to the possession of a firearm-
(i) on private property not part of school grounds;
(ii) if the individual possessing the firearm is licensed to do so by the State in which the school zone is located or a political subdivision of the State, and the law of the State or political subdivision requires that, before an individual obtains such a license, the law enforcement authorities of the State or political subdivision verify that the individual is qualified under law to receive the license;
(iii) that is-
(I) not loaded; and
(II) in a locked container, or a locked firearms rack that is on a motor vehicle;
(iv) by an individual for use in a program approved by a school in the school zone;
(v) by an individual in accordance with a contract entered into between a school in the school zone and the individual or an em- ployer of the individual;
(vi) by a law enforcement officer acting in his or her official capacity; or
(vii) that is unloaded and is possessed by an individual while traversing school premises for the purpose of gaining access to public or private lands open to hunting, if the entry on school premises is authorized by school authorities.

#10 ·
Snurd said:
Without a permit open carry is just fine. You need to be two actions away from firing. So a Glock 19 could have a full mag, but no round in the chamber. Rack the slide, pull the trigger. Two actions. If you have your shirt over the gun, you are concealing, and that is illegal without a CFP, unless you are at your house or in your car. You must keep it visible.

You also need to stay away from school zones. That's 1000 feet away from a school, unless you are in your car driving past or if your house is within that zone. You cannot hop on a train or bus either with your gun unless you have a CFP. There are other places you can't carry, but most of them you can't carry there even with a CFP.

I highly recommend getting your CFP so you don't have to worry about some really dumb laws. It's only about $100 or so for the CFP depending on who you take it from. That will include the class and the background check from BCI. Well worth doing it now.
+1 to what Snurd said. Also, its worth pointing out that assuming you are going to be buying your glock from a dealer, with a permit you dont have to pay for a background check every time you buy a new gun. The permit in good standing means an automatic pass (and no charge for) the background check.

#12 ·
This is true. For what it's worth, nobody has ever been charged with that crime unless it was as an add-on to a REAL crime. I still wouldn't OC near a school without my CFP, though.

Edit: I most certainly *DO* OC and I did before my permit, but I'm very infrequently near a school.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.