Utah Guns Forum banner

So I open carried at UVU today

7K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Uinta Firearms 
#1 ·
I had to go to the UVU bookstore to get a book for my online class (books are a freaking racket, let me tell you, but that's for another topic). My wife and I had gone to the range on her lunch break and I was open carrying so I decided to just go ahead and open carry into the school. Most people didn't notice, a few did, and a few people stared, but most of the people that I saw that noticed I was carrying would make sure to turn their heads away as I was passing. It made me laugh. Nobody commented on it though. I kept expecting to get Campus police called on me for a "man with a gun" call, but luckily nothing happened. Hooray! :thumbup:

#2 ·
Glad you had a good experience but i gotta say one good experience does not a pattern make--- said in a Yoda like voice and cadence!

#3 ·
JoeSparky said:
Glad you had a good experience but i gotta say one good experience does not a pattern make--- said in a Yoda like voice and cadence!
Oh I absolutely agree. That's why I was worried the whole time because I know that there is a bad pattern already. Hopefully we can change it one experience at a time. :)

#5 ·
Uinta Firearms said:
Don't forget: Do not confuse doing something with an accomplishment.
You don't think that people OC'ing and helping to get people used to seeing firearms is an accomplishment? I think it takes one positive experience at a time. Maybe that's just me.

#7 ·
Uinta Firearms said:
SirGentleman said:
Uinta Firearms said:
Don't forget: Do not confuse doing something with an accomplishment.
You don't think that people OC'ing and helping to get people used to seeing firearms is an accomplishment? I think it takes one positive experience at a time. Maybe that's just me.
You missed the point.
Apparently. No I didn't get arrested and become the test case, but maybe that's a good thing.

#9 ·
Uinta Firearms said:
I'm not advocating you become the test case, unless you really want go there.

I applaud your action. I'd love to see more people do it. But, that's all it was -- an action. An accomplishment is a result of the action, usually associated with a desired or intended goal.
Well, technically my desired goal was to not be harassed for carrying, and that's what happened, so by the pedantic definition of accomplishment, it WAS one, albeit a small one. And probably not very noteworthy. But I understand what you're saying.

#10 ·
I totally agree on the book thing. haha We actually talked about guns in one of my classes. Turns out my Professor has a CFP as well. Only the school doesn't let him bring his gun with him on campus. Good to hear that you had a good experience. :thumbsup:

#11 ·
aaron said:
Turns out my Professor has a CFP as well. Only the school doesn't let him bring his gun with him on campus.
If your professor is teaching at a public university or college, the institution doesn't have the authority to prohibit him from carrying on campus. The Legislature has reserved all authority to regulate firearms and they have not delegated any regulatory authority to schools.

#12 ·
Car Knocker said:
aaron said:
Turns out my Professor has a CFP as well. Only the school doesn't let him bring his gun with him on campus.
If your professor is teaching at a public university or college, the institution doesn't have the authority to prohibit him from carrying on campus. The Legislature has reserved all authority to regulate firearms and they have not delegated any regulatory authority to schools.
I agree, though isn't any employer allowed to terminate an employee for violations of internal policy?

#13 ·
UCChris said:
Car Knocker said:
aaron said:
I agree, though isn't any employer allowed to terminate an employee for violations of internal policy?
Yes, but state governmental agencies are constrained by the Legislature from making policies regarding firearms under U.C.A. 53-5a-102 and U.C.A. 76-10-500

#14 ·
Regarding the last few posts----

Yep, ALL STATE schools, colleges, and universitys are prohibited from having, making, or enforcing any policy restricting the carry/possessesion of firearms of ANYONE.

That said, I suspect that more than one will or has decided that they need to let someone go and will make things up to get it done.

"oh, I can't fire you for your gun possession but we have reports and evidence of this.... " And then you are gone and left to try prove the reason you were terminated was not valid!

#15 ·
JoeSparky said:
Regarding the last few posts----

Yep, ALL STATE schools, colleges, and universitys are prohibited from having, making, or enforcing any policy restricting the carry/possessesion of firearms of ANYONE.

That said, I suspect that more than one will or has decided that they need to let someone go and will make things up to get it done.

"oh, I can't fire you for your gun possession but we have reports and evidence of this.... " And then you are gone and left to try prove the reason you were terminated was not valid!
It's much simpler than that. Utah is a right to work state. Employment can be terminated for no reason at all. The employer doesn't need to cite a reason. Problem is, most HR staff/supervisors/managers, etc are too stupid to realize they just need to keep their mouths shut. It is human nature for people to want to talk.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.