Votes: 57 9.9%
  • Always open

Votes: 15 2.6%
  • Always open and unloaded because I don't intend to get a CFP

Votes: 6 1.0%

Open Carry vs. Concealed Carry Poll

72K views 156 replies 105 participants last post by  Flopian 
#1 ·
We have had many discussions on open carry vs. concealed carry on our forum.
Not only that, but quite a number of forum members here are also members of OCDO.

This leads me to believe that we give the impression that ours is more of an Open Carry forum than a Concealed Carry forum. Some may even get the impression that almost all of our members open carry regularly. I do not believe that this is the case, but have no firm data to back up that belief.

For that reason, I wanted to start a poll to allow forum members to give us some hard evidence one way or the other.

[EDIT] Those people who have their permit are requested to vote. The following paragraph was merely intended to keep from giving a skewed result by people who don't yet have their permit and carry open/unloaded until they do. I want the real results of people who have their permit, or how they expect to carry once they do have their permit.[/EDIT]

In order to not skew the data, I am specifically asking those people who are waiting for their CFPs to vote for the category that they believe that they will be in once they do receive their CFPs. In other words, if you're going to get a CFP and are open-carrying unloaded only until you get that CFP, don't vote for a category that is your short-term solution while waiting on the CFP. Vote for how you plan to carry once you receive your CFP. I'll set up the poll such that you can change your vote if you change your mind.

[EDIT #2: I've noticed that a number of people are saying that they mostly CC but sometimes OC to hike or camp.
Hmmm. I think that may be skewing the results of the poll from my original intention. I think I should have worded it to say OC in public, e.g. on the streets, in restaurants, grocery stores, etc. Out in the backwoods, it just doesn't quite mean the same thing.

This poll was set up so that you can change your vote at any time. Anybody need to change their vote with this clarification?
]

In this thread, I'm not interested in rehashing the old debate of which is better. We've covered that quite thoroughly in other threads, so let's not go there. Just let us know which category you fall into the most.

So ... let's find out, shall we?

:?:

See less See more
#4 ·
I chose to vote anyhow. I conceal carry most of the time however, there are occasions where I have open carried when not specifically on a range.

#6 ·
I voted mostly concealed and sometimes open. I've not received my permit yet but I feel very confident that I will conceal mostly.
Going shooting today... thinking about OC'ing (unloaded of course) for the first time while out and about...

#7 ·
I always carry concealed. Too many of those I am around each day are not comfortable with the idea of self-protection carry. Many are hunters, but they feel guns belong in the mountains, not in the city. They know I often carry (and we've had some great conversations about it), but they are still not comfortable with it. Some have come over to my side, but others just think I'm stupid to have guns around me so often. And I don't even carry with one in the pipe, but they still worry. One, for example, has seen two people accidentally shot (one died) with guns, so some of their fears are well founded. I tell them my kids are going to find guns at neighbors houses or school anyway, so I'd rather satisfy their curiosity at home under controlled circumstances and with good training. Enough of that -- I'm sure you all know the arguments people give and the ones we give back. :)

In addition, Jeff, I think there is a real need for a forum on CC rather than OC. I don't know how many times I've seen a thread here on "where can I carry concealed" or "when will I get my license". These might be repetitive, but they are important stepping stones for those getting into CC.

IMO, there is a significant difference between OC and CC. CC is generally more about personal protection. Because it is concealed, it is a personal thing. CC is about ME only. OC makes a statement. It starts conversations. It makes some people uncomfortable. It makes people evaluate their own positions (since most haven't thought about it). It sometimes causes delays and run ins with cops or store owners or whoever. OC, in many ways, is about changing things. I applaud those who OC because our society needs to get used to the idea that guns are here to stay, regardless of the laws. CC is a different thing -- it is one step less than OC because it doesn't make a statement unless the carrier decides to discuss with someone.

#9 ·
GeneticsDave said:
So this poll is only for people who don't yet have their permit?

I can't vote? Bummer.
Sorry. I got too clever by half with my instructions. I added the following paragraph to the original post.
[EDIT] Those people who have their permit are requested to vote. The following paragraph was merely intended to keep from giving a skewed result by people who don't yet have their permit and carry open/unloaded until they do. I want the real results of people who have their permit, or how they expect to carry once they do have their permit.[/EDIT]

#10 ·
doconix said:
In addition, Jeff, I think there is a real need for a forum on CC rather than OC.
We do have a sub-forum on CC. This thread is in it.
Do you mean that we should have separate sub-forums for CC and OC?
We've talked about that idea just today. I think it's a good idea.

It seems that we can't get away from discussing OC on UCC, since so many people do it or advocate it.
For that reason (and others), there's no way that I would attempt to discourage discussion of OC on our board.
However, the purpose of this thread is to find out just how popular OC is vs CC. I'm genuinely curious.

#11 ·
I conceal 100% of the time. No need to let the bad guy know what I have. Plus there are people out there that freak out when they see a gun, then you get the police called on you and get your time wasted for no good reason. Might as well conceal in my opinion. Not that police are bad, there seem to be a fair amount of them that don't know the law, which is too bad.

#12 ·
I have another 6 weeks or so to go for my CFP, but I'm going to conceal mostly and open carry when hunting, hiking, fishing, etc...

I originally had panned to OC a lot more frequently, but quite frankly, I don't ever want to be hassled by ignorant LEOs. Reason being, if I can be BUSTED for ignorance of the law, so should they...but we all know how those confrontations can end up!!! Maybe if I was in law school or had the cash to have a lawyer on retainer or the time to write letters to IA/AG/Congressmen/Police Chiefs, I would OC more, but that's not my world.

#17 ·
Jeff Johnson said:
doconix said:
In addition, Jeff, I think there is a real need for a forum on CC rather than OC.
We do have a sub-forum on CC. This thread is in it.
Do you mean that we should have separate sub-forums for CC and OC?
We've talked about that idea just today. I think it's a good idea.
Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant that just having opencarry.org (with the Utah section) is not enough. This site (UCC) fills a definite need. I wasn't talking about inside of UCC.

#18 ·
Mostly I CC, but I do OC on occasion (more and more lately, it seems). Example: A few nights ago we went to buy a pizza from Papa Murphy's (love their pizzas!). The plan was for my wife to go in and buy the pizza, so I didn't bother to wear something to cover my 1911. But when we got there, I decided to go in and look if they had any specials on their menu board.

"Oops, I'm not set up to conceal. Oh, what the heck, no problem." So I went in carrying openly. No one in the place seemed to notice, or care anyway. But when I came out to get in the car, there was a lady in the car next to mine who gave me a hard look. I just gave a hard look back, got in the car, and we went home.

#23 ·
I voted for 50/50. It really just depends on the day. During this last winter It was CC more than OC, but now that the warm weather is here I will start to OC more often again. I like my crossbreed supertuck more than my OWB holster, but once I get a better holster for OC I will be back at it again.

#25 ·
I haven't gotten my CFP, but when I do I will CC mostly and just glad to have the option to OC incase my clothes come up. I will and have OC when the situation is right. :gun9: Oh, and TJ do you OC with all your guns, or do you OC 2 guns and conceal more? From what I have seen you just OC the 2 guns. But you never know. :gun6:

#26 ·
ndavis2008 said:
I haven't gotten my CFP, but when I do I will CC mostly and just glad to have the option to OC incase my clothes come up. I will and have OC when the situation is right. :gun9: Oh, and TJ do you OC with all your guns, or do you OC 2 guns and conceal more? From what I have seen you just OC the 2 guns. But you never know. :gun6:
That's the good thing about a CFP. You just see what you CAN see.... :crown:

TJ

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.